Poll: Why all the CoD hate?

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
I've been looking through the forums and it seems no matter where I look there's always a group of people just aching to grab their pitchforks and torches and lynch Call of Duty. It isn't just dislike, which is understandable if it's not you're cup of tea. I know they're not perfect games, but their still pretty good.

Can someone give me a good reason for it? I really don't see why people bash it the way they do. It goes beyond just saying Battlefield is better or I can't really get into it.

If it's gritty real world feel, well that's kinda their selling point. I like Bulletstorm, Painkiller, Halo, Duke Nukem, and Mass Effect. All bright, colorful, and sometimes goofy shooting games with essentially no realism, save for the whole bullets hurt thing. So the whole gritty real thing isn't overused.

If it's the community, I've played a metric ass ton of it on both my PS3 and my buddy's 360 and haven't really come across a lot of jack-offs. Plus most of the young players are actually pretty civil. The ones that piss me off are the drunk frat boys screaming in their mic.

If you say the gameplay, it's pointing a gun and shooting, what's there to innovate, besides how you rank up and different match types. People exploiting glitches and trying to Rambo their way through the other team on multiplayer.

If you say Activision is a soul sucking, money hungry corporation that is only concerned with profit. Welcome to the real world.

There are things that I don't like about the series, i.e. Black Ops fucking pointless ass currency system.
Fantasy: Oh you don't have to unlock all the weapons now just the ones you want, yay.
Reality: You have to unlock all the weapons, titles, and emblems, then you have to choose which ones you want using your limited amount of CoD points, well that's shit.

It is really the only thing I despise about the series.

But is everything else just hate for hate's sake or are people really just shallow little pricks that just shit on everything anyone likes.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Not so much hate as disinterest. There's been like 8 of them now and things are just getting old.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.304008-Poll-Poll-Does-Call-of-Duty-deserve-all-the-hate-it-gets

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.310173-I-have-had-enough-with-the-Call-of-Duty-hate-train

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.288681-I-hate-to-be-the-guy-but-why-the-hate-for-COD

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.307790-The-Call-of-Duty-hate?page=1

There you go :)

Note that I found these by just searching for "cod hate". You can probably find a lot more with other keywords.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Seeing this thread for the billionth time is making me start to hate it, even though I've never played it. (I like my guns from outer space)

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
So what you're actually saying is... "STOP DISAGREEING WITH ME!" Yeah...

And also, if you are genuienly interested why people don't like the Call of Duty series (which I somewhat doubt), there's plenty, a plethora even, of topics made about this as shown below. No need to make a new one for it:
Vakz said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.304008-Poll-Poll-Does-Call-of-Duty-deserve-all-the-hate-it-gets

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.310173-I-have-had-enough-with-the-Call-of-Duty-hate-train

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.288681-I-hate-to-be-the-guy-but-why-the-hate-for-COD

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.307790-The-Call-of-Duty-hate?page=1

There you go :)
As for me, it's stagnation and single player campaigns that certainly aren't worth of a full prize. I have problems with the multiplayer as well, but those two things alone are reason enough for me to not like the series.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Me, i preferred it when it was WW2 based, the MW games bore me to death. The guns and everything about it are just not that good. Prefer the history based WW2 games and also the guns just sounded and felt better. An that you were limited by the weapons, in MW a lot of modern guns can do everything from rapid fire to sniping. Just boring to me.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I don't play CoD; I've never played it and I probably never will. War FPSes that focus mostly on multiplayer and/or coop are not my thing. Hence I do not hate it because I do not know it.

(I do however hate how it turns the 12 year-old brother to the baby I babysit and his friends into little shitheads.)

I am, like others here, kinda tired of this thread popping up though. All of these "Why all the ____ hate?" threads are getting almost as bad as the pony threads - and I'm practically a brony. Search bar is your friend; if there's a match dating from the last 2-3 months I doubt you'll learn anything new by starting a new thread about it.

Have a good day =)

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
I think it's bland, redundant, and annoying. At some points, it's more of an iron sights inspector simulation than an actual shooter. I think there have been plenty of generic brown military shooters made already, and I don't think we need to add another dozen to the pile.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Extremely short campains, releasing one game/year, awful community(kids).
Have never played a CoD game tbh, but I'm not intrested either. I love shooters. Got no love left for multiplayer shooters anymore however, so I got no reason to buy it. Played way too much CS in my younger days.

What bugs me the most is that they push out one new title every year. Since people play it for the multiplayer they could just release one game and update that one instead... or am I missing something?

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
What I've seen? I've seen a lot of hate coming from Battlefield elitists. They spend more time downplaying CoD than they do praising the game, and they hardly give any solid reasoning, nor be open to reasoning themselves about it.

The rest is just because it's the same thing released every year. The campaign wants to be a movie, and we're basically paying for a $60 multiplayer that's nearly identical to the last.

The above is the opposition, a majority of which I agree with, however, the difference is it's not that boring to me. It becomes a way of killing time, and it keeps me occupied for a while. It can still be fun at times.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
CoD4 was the last great CoD in my opinion. The campaign and online gameplay made it one of my all time favourite first person war shooters. Then CoD5 came out and it was terrible. Then Modern Warfare 2 came out and it was ridiculous. Then Black Ops came out and it was ass backwards retarded. So I've simply given up on CoD. I'm glad I only hired the last 3, or I would have bene a lot more angry about it. It's just the same thing every time, they don't innovate, the online community is kin to primordial scum, and Activision makes it very, VERY clear that it wants every single cent you own.

It really pisses me off that a now-mediocre series like CoD that brings nothing new to the table gets such acclaim, while others, like the recent Resistance 3 which was so good I sat and played it 11 hours straight and still wanted more, get completely ignored. Gamers complain about how repetitive and generic gaming is becoming, yet refuse to try anything outside their comfort area. You've only got yourselves to blame.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
The only thing more tiresome than COD hate, another bloody forum whining about COD hate. I swear not a day goes by! The sun rises, the tides move, somebody makes another forum about COD haters.
I mean why the blazes cant you just, oh I dunno, TOLERATE such people like most people do?

And furthermore there is no need to defend the franchise, it earns more money than pretty much any other game franchise in the world. If there were, say, a disproportionate number of people hating on an indie game like Rock of Ages or something then it would be worth asking these sorts of questions but a multi billion dollar corporation guided by an evil minded fat basterd who openly admits to not giving a shit about games in general is not really an orphaned chimney sweep is it?

And finally here is an idea of why people think COD is overrated.
So you run into a room, and another guy also runs into the room from the other end, and you shoot first so he dies, then you run further forward but you explode. So you respawn nearly instantly and run another way, which is a corridor, and there are some guys who you shoot, and they call you a ****** over chat, then you run further forward and shoot another dude, then the guy who called you a ****** respawned so fast he is here and kills you, then this all happens about fifty times and you all smash against eachother in a tiny map until 1 side breaks. But its cool because you are playing with friends.

Shadows Inc.

Dec 6, 2010
It's not so much that people hate it, it's that the series left it's comfort zone. This in of itself is not a bad thing, and did quite well. The problem is a lot of people found the newer modern based CoD games to be "meh". There was originally not all of this hate... the "hate" started when the series started getting vast amounts of undeserved worship, people who love the games would pick arguments with the people who at the time "just didn't care for them", claiming "why would you not like it?! IT'S PERFECT!". This general dislike grew more and more, based on not just the selling out of the franchise, but the people and fans behind it. General dislike grew to hate fairly quickly. The point, the game doesn't deserve the amount of praise it gets. Am I saying that it's a bad game? Am I saying that it doesn't deserve ANY praise? No... but all of you who are fans MUST realize that the worship has gotten out of control as of late, and now when people just want to play some multiplayer FPS game like battlefield, MAG, etc., all the people who are "die-hard" fans of the series at this point (fans that only joined after it breached out of the WWII franchise) start making fun of other FPS' and claim "Yeah, well it's no Call of Duty : Modern Warfare!". There's plenty of reasons to dislike a game, and it's largely the fan-base behind it that drove to hate.

(not to mention, most the fans who just generally liked good FPS' dropped out with the release of Modern Warfare 1&2 after seeing what the demographic was like. Most of the die-hard fans are people who joined late game, and shouldn't ***** about other games "not being as good as Call of Duty", when they haven't played the previous games.)

Shadows Inc.

Dec 6, 2010
@ DanielBrown

The community is a large problem being comprised of mostly kids, military dicks, or people who swear and discriminate or just try to insult people. There's a large community of people who are VERY VERY sore losers too, spouting things like "You cheated!" or "Yeah? Well I'm just tired right now, I would have won otherwise!".... also, 1337 chat is/has been/always will be annoying, and infuriating.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
It has a lot to do with taste, and the conflict one taste in games has with others. Gamers that don't like what CoD has to offer just have to deal with all the hype and praise that goes into that game, and the thousand other clones made trying to capitalize in its interest. It's like being a Red Sox's fan and living in New York, every game or sports bar you go to you're just going to have to deal with all the Yankee fans.

Personally I've never seen what all the hubbub has been about, but every time I go to a game store retailer, I have to sort through aisles and aisles of FPS brown Call of Duty inspired shooters when all I want is more games like Fallout, Mass Effect, or Deus Ex.

Just imagine how lonely players that like console RTS's feel...lol

Project_Xii said:
like the recent Resistance 3 which was so good I sat and played it 11 hours straight and still wanted more, get completely ignored.
Trust me I know your pain, Resistance 3 has been one of best FPS I've played in a while and no one wants to care, even give it a chance....>=/

DoctorFrankenStein

Jul 4, 2011
I don't think much of COD itself, but I do like the zombie map packs. Seems I'm in the minority though. I guess it's an acquired taste. Realism is terribly overrated. ;)

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I don't hate the Call of Duty franchise but the last two games have disappointed me. The story for Modern Warfare 2 disappointed me because of all the plot holes that were in it. Black Ops disappointed me because of how absurd the story was. Plus, the campaigns are ridiculously short. I don't think it is asking to much for the developers to at least make the single player campaigns 12-15 hours long.