Poll: Why did Hitler attack Russia?

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Actually, the real reason was because he was trying to one up Napoleon Bonaparte, and so, the reason is, his ego got in the way.

Feb 13, 2008
Curtmiester said:
I'm pretty sure that if he didn't attack Russia he stil would have lost. Most of the world didn't really like him. So, he attacked them because HE'S HITlER!
This, basically. Herr Adolf was massively paranoid and wanted the whole world to become the Herrenvolk.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
napoleon was a short arse so was Hitler, lets hope Danny Devito has stopped making films or he could soon be rich enough to hire a standing army!

On another note he was a megalomaniac who sought world dominion... does this not explain his reasons for doing everything?

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
In my opinion I think that Hitler was just impatient, like napoleon was. All Hitler had to do was wait till the Russian winter was over and Hitler most likely would have taken over Russia and maybe of won the war. He should of payed attention in History class:)

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hitler was Facist.
Hitler hated Communists.
In Russia, Communists are you! Russia was a Communist state.
Hitler therefore hated Russia.
Hitler attacked Russia.
Russia attacks you!
Big boom.
End of story.

At least, that's how my limited human capacity of the brain percieves it, I could be wrong so many ways to Sunday that I don't even know where West-East is.

HomeAliveIn45

Jun 4, 2008
He hated communism (a lot of fascists do). Also, Russia had oil. That was why Stalingrad and Leningrad were attacked; to secure the supply of fuel coming from southern Russia

NattyMichael

Apr 1, 2009
he attacked russia because he was arrogant and couldnt take advice if he waited until after winter he would have won the war.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
The German invasion of the USSR was planned all along. He planned to conquer the world, and the USSR was a step along that. The only problem with it, is that the Russians fought hard enough to stonewall the Germans at Stalingrad, and the Blitzkrieg failed. Then the Russian winter finished the job.

MMMATT

May 21, 2009
If he didn't think he could win, he wouldn't have attacked them. See, at the time of the invasion, Hitler was truly at the height of his power. He literally became high with delusions of invincibility and marched against the USSR. The short-term goal of Operation Barbarossa was to secure the Baku oil fields in the Caucasus and the long-term goal was to make slaves of the Soviet people. Both dreams were dashed, however, when a violent Russian winter froze Hitler's fuel supplies, halting the Fuhrer's advance and stranding his troops in Moscow and Stalingrad where they were annihilated by a brutal urban ground force.

Socken

Jan 29, 2009
Merteg said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
If he attacked it's offense.

But as to the other question of why did he do it, well that's because he was hitler and nobody would stop him.
Because he was Hitler?

Hitler didn't do things 'because he was Hitler.'
Well he was a megalomaniac madman with a god complex, believing himself (and 'his' race) to be superior over everybody else. So I guess one could say he did do things "because he was Hitler."

scowi

Jul 26, 2009
He attacked because communism is an offshoot of a Jewish man?s idea. The Germans supported the Bolshevik revolution; they sent Lenin back to Russia. He saw what happened in Russia and he did not want Bolshevik ideas to spread west. The resources were a bonus. Anyway Hitler sucks and blows.

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
If he had launched operation Barbarossa on schedule, russia wouldn't have been prepared. Hell, he probably still could have won late if had properly supplied his army. And if russia was done he could take over the important parts of Africa.. What brought him down was his own personal blunders such as changing from RAF airports to civilian buildings, launching operation barbossa late, and generally not listening to his generals.

Flap Jack452

Jan 5, 2009
The man was insane, his reasons are not important. He just wanted to promote his own racist, hateful agenda.