Poll: Why Isn't There An Apple Game Console?

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
I imagine that the console would be very, very expensive. I also imagine it would work really, really well.

Say what you want about Apple but their operating system is extremely stable. Something that a guy like me needs on a day to day basis. My experience with other operating systems has not been a pleasant one.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
Amnestic said:
ZeroDotZero said:
Amnestic said:
They do. It's called the iPhone. Didn't you hear? It's better for gaming than the DS and the PSP.

Or so Apple would have you believe anyway.
I don't have a PSP, so I don't know about that, but I far prefer to play on the iPod than the DS.
How is it to live with absolutely no taste whatsoever?
It's working out fine, thanks.

cordeos

Apr 2, 2009
Almost every console ever is sold at a loss. Sony and Microsoft have deep pockets as does Nintendo to some extent. Apple has a habit of selling things for way over their value, remember the iphone?
I don't know if they could afford it or if they even have any interest in it. Its rather hard to break into the market. Xbox was able to because it catered to American gamers, but Apple would have to see a market before releasing a console.

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
My days if they made a non-portable console but even then the i-touch and phone really isn't a console its still a phone and my phone has games but that detracts from the point, it would cost a rediculous amount of money. I mean look at the price of ipods and then think what they would charge on the "iconsole" also i think they have had their ego bruised with the Pipin disastor and there are 3 big contenders in the market anyway they would have trouble getting in and the 3 consoles cater for everytype of gamer so far.

NghtmaresXNoVaKaiNe

Dec 29, 2009
It's not like apple doesn't have the money, technology, or disgusting amount of souls to produce such a thing. They could seriously sweep up some of the poor abandoned Indonesian children that they keep in their basement, Running Windows Vista (shudder) and eating Obama-O's (like Cheerios...now made with change).

A MAC console would be produced and swallowed whole by the college masses (I would know, everyone I see at college has a god damn MAC. I strangle them and use their intestines as a clothesline, and I don't even do my own laundry.)

Flame war plausible. Setting Noob defense shield, arming anti-typo cannons and 'your mom' joke bombs. Preparing for total destruction of the internet...in 3...2...1... -Tosses his 360 out in front of him.- It deflects bullets and twelve year olds (unless I put in Halo 3...then it attracts those little bastards.)

Harry3

Nov 16, 2009
It would be a bigger version of the iphone. No one would bother making proper games for it, there would just be updated apps.

But it wouldn't fail, every student, "individual" and people with more money than sense would buy it.

UpcountryGecko

Oct 19, 2008
The reason in simple terms is that the company currently appears to lack the knowledge of the, home console, video game industry and as such are staying away from it. They could easily enter it and have guaranteed sales due to their name and they have the money to invest into the research and development side of the market but why do they need to? They already have a monopoly of the MP3 player market, where you are an anomaly consumer if you use one of the other firms offerings. I personally believe that they probably have looked into it, it's just that the project would most likely make a loss or become profitable in such a long time that alternatives, such as entering the mobile phone market, have been the more viable option.

jiamenguk

Feb 24, 2009
Haven't apple ruined unough things already? They've already got their overpriced laptops, overpriced desktops, overpriced MP3's, overpriced MP3 shops, overpriced (maybe not, lol) phones

This Apple trend NEEDS to stop, otherwise everyone will turn into an Apple fanboy and will be blinded by their overpriced fad

anian

Sep 10, 2008
It would probably run on batteries that you can't change yourself, be white and plastic looking, we won't go into the price (or to be exact overpricing) problem, oh and you wouldn't be able to buy original cds/dvd etc. just a less quality download from their website exclusivly...
Not to mention that right now Macs are basically consoles that support Adobe products but don't work with half the games that are released (or they need aspecial version). What they are selling basically is software (OS and iPhone) everything else was done better by others.
So why would they make a console?

The "Mac nation" just disgust me, don't know when it started being cool for people to buy stuff that is more expensive and does less and better yet feel superior and artistic cause you have the absolutley same stuff as others...the logic chip must've exploded somewhere along the way.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I'm going to ignore how bad that would be for industry... instead, I'll tell you how stupid of a move it would be for Apple.

First, they already absolutely dominate the digital music market. Apple's funds and efforts are much better placed investing in and improving that department. A lot of people seem to forget that Microsoft was involved in gaming way before the Xbox, Apple would have to start an entirely new department to get this thing going.
Second, their efforts in gaming already exist to a degree, but they're focusing on stuff involved with the iPhone and iTouch.
And third, Apple's rolling out massive amounts of money off of their current projects. They have no need to make a gigantic investment like that.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Because Apple is currently only halfway into the backlash zone, and if they made a bad console they'd lose the rest of their fanbase and their assloads of cash

ninjapenguin981

Jul 10, 2009
Apple don't like games. Just look at Mac, if they wanted games to be a part of it, they would've made it compatible with PC games.

Wing0fSilver

Oct 12, 2009
What could apple make? Given their recent trend of having every thing touchable the only two consoles they could make would be...exactly the same thing as the Wii or DS.

Canadaftw

Apr 24, 2009
Why? Because pretty much one of the biggest reasons to buy their products is 'Look it's small so I could take it any where!'. No offense to i-pod, i-pod touch and all their products that start wth i users.