Poll: Why preorder? Why NOT preorder? (Day One DLC incentives)

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Ok since everyone seeems to either hate or love Dragon Age 2 based on the Day one DLC issue, I've been thinking about it.

Now as best I can tell the Hate camps argument is that because they have to preorder it to get the Full Day one stuff that their "Real" copy is being held for ransom and if they don't pay up then they recieve the crippled version when it comes out. Last year (in the build-up to DA:O) I was even in this camp until I fully understood why Day One DLC is being implemented as a policy. As a means of actually getting the consumer to buy new so the Devs could actually get paid for their work, as opposed to people buying used and the Devs getting the shaft. I like BioWare and their products and I want them to make more, so I buy new. I vote with my wallet.

I've preordered the Signature Edition and thusly will get the full package and thinking about so many people being mad that they aren't able to get it I've seen the other end of the equation;

If I am paying full price in advance/If I am thinking about paying in advance why is it wrong that I recieve a gift/incentive to do so? I'm forking out on the basis of my goodwill to the Dev precisely because I have played their stuff and enjoyed it so much.

If the dev doesn't have your goodwill or you just plain don't want to pay for admission I fail to see why you should get equal treatment for a lesser contribution?

Destructoid Article [http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-s-casey-hudson-rationalizes-day-one-dlc-168047.phtml] For perusal.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It's just punishing you if are on the fence, and don't want to buy it until you see some reviews. Personally, I don't like it but I don't think it's a huge deal.

Them releasing a DLC trailer before the game actual comes out makes me angry though.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Preordering is supposed to give you the advantage of a guarenteed copy, waiting for you at the store. Publishers also use preorder numbers to determine how many they should ship out + how many extras. They have a calculation to approximate this.

The pre-order bonus is just a bit on the side.

suubersnake

The Wizard
Nov 30, 2009
I think the biggest problem is just the method by which they do this. I'm not against day one DLC, but I can't shake the feeling that they are just cutting out parts intended to be in the game and then making you download it separately when I'd rather be playing it instead of waiting for the proper files to be downloaded and installed.

I'd rather see them offer some other incentive than just in game items, weapons, NPCs and other maguffins. Perhaps an inside look into the Dev process while keeping you posted would be a nice incentive or give you gameplay demos as a thank you for adopting it early.

I pre-ordered the signature edition too, I just wish I got a little more now, rather than having to wait for another couple months.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
People want to get PAID for their work?! THAT'S UNPOSSIBLE!

Really, though, the only thing I think about extra DLC being advertised and getting releases so early is that it winds up looking like, "This was planned to be in the actual game but it turned out not to be all that great. Let's release it as DLC so it will be judged at a lower standard." and that's not a criticism of Bioware specifically; I get that vibe from a lot of different games and their DLC.

I'm not pre-ordering, because I'm going to be too busy with Uni when DA2 comes out to play it, even though I'm super excited about it. By the time I'm free enough to get it, the price for new copies will probably be down enough here in Australia that it will cover the cost of the DLC anyway. That's my reasoning, at least. There's no point in me getting something until I have the free time to enjoy it.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Here is a good, quick explanation of day one DLC from somebody actually in the business.

Destructoid Article [http://www.destructoid.com/bioware-s-casey-hudson-rationalizes-day-one-dlc-168047.phtml]

Though I will say, that there is a difference between the day one DLC he's talking about and a disc unlock. Data unlocked from discs by DLC is not how I believe DLC should be handled.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
suubersnake said:
I think the biggest problem is just the method by which they do this. I'm not against day one DLC, but I can't shake the feeling that they are just cutting out parts intended to be in the game and then making you download it separately when I'd rather be playing it instead of waiting for the proper files to be downloaded and installed.

I'd rather see them offer some other incentive than just in game items, weapons, NPCs and other maguffins. Perhaps an inside look into the Dev process while keeping you posted would be a nice incentive or give you gameplay demos as a thank you for adopting it early.

I pre-ordered the signature edition too, I just wish I got a little more now, rather than having to wait for another couple months.
There was the DA2 podcast series and, as far as I know, it is still going. Dragon Age legends (though I fucking Hate facebook) and the DA2 site. BioWare does more than most Devs with regard to updates. I'm also going to buy Cassandra's Diary aswell because it looks boss.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
There's been loads of news about the Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition which you got for preordering before the 11th, but apart from getting the Exiled Prince DLC for free I haven't seen any information about you getting anything else with it. People are also annoyed that the Steam preorder became available after this offer had ended, meaning no free DLC for Steam users. Now if free $7 DLC is the only thing they get extra for preordering so early, that's not too bad. But if it turns out that there's loads of other stuff, Steam users are going to be pissed off (plenty of them already are, but that's gamers for you).

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I personally won't pay more than £10 for a game. That is why I usually buy used or 3 years after release.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I like day One DLC, except that whenever I've gotten a game with it, I never seem to get given the card or whatever (ie. Dragon Age and Fallout: NV)but that's probably a store error and I never go back early enough to get it. It just helps me decide whether I want that game NOW (after watching some trailers, playing the demo etc.) or if I'll wait till it's cheaper.
I'm preordering Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition and I get free DLC, content, and physical things. I think that makes it worth it for me.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
There's been loads of news about the Dragon Age 2 Signature Edition which you got for preordering before the 11th, but apart from getting the Exiled Prince DLC for free I haven't seen any information about you getting anything else with it. People are also annoyed that the Steam preorder became available after this offer had ended, meaning no free DLC for Steam users. Now if free $7 DLC is the only thing they get extra for preordering so early, that's not too bad. But if it turns out that there's loads of other stuff, Steam users are going to be pissed off (plenty of them already are, but that's gamers for you).
The album, four in-game items, The Exiled Prince and the preorder stuff that anyone else is getting from here on out.

Flames66 said:
I personally won't pay more than £10 for a game. That is why I usually buy used or 3 years after release.
My point is though do you care that you aren't getting that stuff? Since most people want to not preorder the game but also get all the preorder incentives as standard.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
People are also annoyed that the Steam preorder became available after this offer had ended, meaning no free DLC for Steam users. Now if free $7 DLC is the only thing they get extra for preordering so early, that's not too bad. But if it turns out that there's loads of other stuff, Steam users are going to be pissed off (plenty of them already are, but that's gamers for you).
Yeah, this is why it makes me angry the most. I got the first one off Steam, so for consistency purposes, and now it turns out that they only thing Steam people get are two stupid in-game items? What the hell?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
AlternatePFG said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
People are also annoyed that the Steam preorder became available after this offer had ended, meaning no free DLC for Steam users. Now if free $7 DLC is the only thing they get extra for preordering so early, that's not too bad. But if it turns out that there's loads of other stuff, Steam users are going to be pissed off (plenty of them already are, but that's gamers for you).
Yeah, this is why it makes me angry the most. I got the first one off Steam, so for consistency purposes, and now it turns out that they only thing Steam people get are two stupid in-game items? What the hell?
Two in-game items, the black emporium which is an area with stores to get some of the best items in game and a mabari warhound. I'm assuming that steam didn't want the signature edition. Gamestop, amazon and play all had it.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I've got no problem with day one DLC.

Think of it like a special edition or pre-order bonus, but unlike most of those bonuses...the extras are still available to those who wait and get the game later on.

It also doesn't bother me, because those people who wait about a year or more are likely to benefit with a far superior version of the game (game of the year for example) for much less money.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I have no problem with it. The more preorders a game has, the better the numbers that they can wave around to their investors. This encourages that.

Personally, I don't care if DLC was made to be DLC, or if it was cut from the original game (whether specifically to be DLC, or just an area they weren't able to have finished by the deadline) as long as the game is completely beatable, most trophies/achievements attainable (I have no quarrel with a few being DLC specific, but I don't want to see a ton of achievements requiring DLC to unlock that are a part of the main story), and the storyline is complete/understandable.

After that, I'll make my decisions about what DLC I can afford and am interested in. If I'm planning to buy a game at release, I'll go ahead and get the bonuses of preordering. If I don't really care, then I'll just shell out for the DLC when I can afford it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
not everybody has a credit card or a paypal account. These people don't feel like they are getting any compensation, while others luck out.

If i had a card or an account, I'd do it, but I just can't.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
not everybody has a credit card or a paypal account. These people don't feel like they are getting any compensation, while others luck out.

If i had a card or an account, I'd do it, but I just can't.
90% of stores handle preorders and usually only require ?5/?10 euro deposits.

KalosCast

Dec 11, 2010
Wait, do you mean stuff like Project $10 where publishers try to recoup what they lost from used sales, or do you mean stuff like Gamestop's "Get Overpowered crap and let us beat the game for you!" pre-order bonuses.

I'm okay with the first, hate the second.