Poll: Why the Hell would you buy the new Pokemon game?

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
I was really thinking about picking up the new X Pokemon up until today when I had a realization. How many games have there been? Have I played them all, well yes I have for the most part. Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Fire Red, Crystal, Soul Silver, Black, White 2.

Goodness that's a lot of Pokemon, and you know what? I'm sick of it. I guess I have just gotten over the nostalgia of it all but any pokemon game now feels like I've been there done that.

So why are you going to get the "new" pokemon game?

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Because I haven't gotten sick of it yet. I've played blue, silver, emerald, fire red and black so far. And I still see the games as fun. Mind you I got most of them second hand, for like 10~15 euro's each. Or I borrowed from my little brother. I rarely get them new as indeed it's just more of the same. Not worth a full 50~60 euro's to me.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I've only played original ones, and X&Y was the first one to catch my interest anew. I just might pick up 2DS to play it.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
It took you that long? Christ I felt that way when I beat Silver(only playing Red and Yellow before hand).

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I haven't played any of the more recent ones, but X&Y looks different enough to justify picking it up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've never bought a Pokemon game in my life.

It's nice knowing something so gargantuan can have absolutely no impact on me whatsoever.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I played Red and Blue, then took a break for a while as I never upgraded my old Gameboy to one that would do colour. Came back with LeafGreen on the GBA, then picked up a DS for Diamond. I picked up Emerald about a month later, then SoulSilver when it came out. White and White 2 both on release day. I may be a month or two behind when I get X, but only because I need to buy the 3DS to go with it. I certainly will get the game, though, and am quite hyped for it.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I played Blue, Yellow, Ruby, White, and White 2. I'm not picking up the new game not because "been there done that" but because I think the next game after this one will be better and I rather wait for that
...also I'm still getting over the replacement of Touko/Hilda and Mei/Rosa :(

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
Pokemon died for me on the day the battery inside my blue cartridge died, taking my entire save file with it. Sure, I had yellow, silver, and crystal to go to, but blue was my first one, and I was only three or four away from catching them all. It was such a devastating blow that I never recovered. I briefly thought about trying one of the newer generations, but then I remembered I don't have a DS.

Capthca: downward slope. Exactly.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Pokemon is the only reason I still own a Nintendo handheld, even if the games tell the same basic story, for some reason I never get sick of them.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
As much as I enjoy the games, even with 3D battles and so-on in X/Y I just can't bring myself to pick it up. At this point I hope they hit 1000 pokemon and leave it at that.

I might jump back in when we get a game where you actually can catch them all. Where pokemon are not arbitrary split between versions and you can legitimately catch all the legendaries without having to the exclusive events to pick them up.

If that day ever comes let me know.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I like hamburgers. Its why I often get them. I love sequals. But hey, Dynasty Warriors is my second favorite game series. While I can be critical of the crappy pokemon that pop up, and I HATE the "mega" evolution thing, but I will probably continue to buy future Pokemon games for as long as they are fun and time goes on. Red and Blue are amazing and still fun, but eventually you want something new without it being truly different. If I wanted a different game...Id buy one. I dont see the need to make sequals be so different. Sequals SHOULD be the same but better. Its other games of other series that need to be different. Thats why I also love Dragon Warrior Monster and Monster Ranchers.

kaioshade

Apr 10, 2011
TheSapphireKnight said:
As much as I enjoy the games, even with 3D battles and so-on in X/Y I just can't bring myself to pick it up. At this point I hope they hit 1000 pokemon and leave it at that.

I might jump back in when we get a game where you actually can catch them all. Where pokemon are not arbitrary split between versions and you can legitimately catch all the legendaries without having to the exclusive events to pick them up.

If that day ever comes let me know.
The split games have been around since the beginning. I dont think Nintendo will ever have one single game where every single pokemon is obtainable. Crystal came close, as well as Platinum but even those did not have everything.

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
It will take me a long, long while to become tired enough of Pokemon to stop buying the games. I've played every one since Gold on the GBA, except I've never finished the Gen III games. I'm really liking what I've seen so far of the new Pokemon (mantis shrimp, leafy sea dragon, fire lion, the starters are awesome...), I'm liking that this set of games is stepping out of the box, and I just never get tired of catching Pokemon.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Why would you buy the next Fifa game? Or Madden game? Or Call of Duty game? or Fire Emblem game? Or Splinter Cell game? Or Saint's Row game? Or Shin Megami Tensei game? Or Final Fantasy game?

You get the point.

Simply put, because we enjoy these games/series and want more. It's one thing if the series came to a satisfying conclusion; however, many of these titles are meant to be upgrades to their predecessors or take place in a relative space/universe that has plenty of room to grow and expand.

If you have lost interest in a series, don't fret. There are plenty of great games/series, both new and old, that you can discover and enjoy.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Adultism said:
So why are you going to get the "new" pokemon game?
Because Gamefreak have proven time and time again that any new game they make has significant changes compared to the last one.

Why would you buy the sequel to any other game? Why is pokemon an exception?

Also this badass ************:

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Simple, I still like to pick a bunch of little creatures that in time can be a force to reckon with due to me using them in battle time and again.

I mean that is what one aspects of an RPG game is like right (you start of with a level 1 person/ team/ creature and by the time you're ready to finish the game, your person/ team/ creature no longer/ stats look it what it was at the beginning)?

For every new game they keep coming up with new creature design regardless of their apperances is enough for me to keep rising up to that challenge of my!!

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
If you're worn out from the series, that's fair. Not sure why it warrants a thread. There will be many gamers like you that make the same choice. Meanwhile, there will be young gamers and folks just being introduced to Pokemon that will buy their very first game.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
AdmiralCheez said:
Pokemon died for me on the day the battery inside my blue cartridge died, taking my entire save file with it. Sure, I had yellow, silver, and crystal to go to, but blue was my first one, and I was only three or four away from catching them all. It was such a devastating blow that I never recovered.
It was Red for me... its been months since the event. I still feel anger when I think about it.....