Poll: Will PC gaming thrive or dive?

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
Edit: For some reason it wouldn't show my post and I thought it was because I accidentally reset No-Script so it included The Escapist so I double posted. Sorry.

Feb 13, 2008
PCs have already been going longer than most of you. Possibly me as well. What makes you think they won't continue to go on? People still play Doom regularly, 17 years after it's creation.

Sacul

Sep 27, 2009
Skizle said:
Cadaurny said:
Souplex said:
"Will"? It already has. It's just that some people insist on dragging its corpse around, talking to it and telling everybody it's alive.
I'm sorry Steve, Hannah didn't make it. You need to accept it, bury her and move on. Continuing on this path just makes a mockery of her beautiful life.
Tell that to the 3 million people who got on Steam alone in the past 48 hours. It's not some people, it's millions and when millions of people are in a community, guess what? It's alive.
Thats 3 million plus the X million on Battle.net. Remember there is more to PC gaming than Steam. Also compare it to the X million of XBL and PSN accounts logged on. Just stating the facts.
That's why I said "who got on Steam ALONE". I don't know how many accounts on XBL or PSN logged in but there were 3 million people just on Steam for one point in the past 48 hours. Which proves my point that PC gaming isn't dying.

Jun 11, 2008
No but I don't think we will see a golden age again or for awhile. PC gaming will continue to occupy the the niche market it currently already does. I don't think it will dwindle any further. Although technically speaking as much as I hate saying this people who play social games on Facebook are pc gamers.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
Depends on what you mean by "pc". If you mean that tower that is a paper weight as soon as you get it home from the store then probably, but it will always have a niche. If you mean tablets, cell phones, laptops then no. The latter is the next generation in the gaming world actually.

oplinger said:
Captcha:

No sir, I will not type that. ...I don't know how..
onsoffil n/abs(S)

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
the term pc gaming will die but there will always be gaming on what ever we use in the future as a pc even if its the size of a pen and projects a holo image of a keyboard and screen

MattyDienhoff

Jan 3, 2008
I think that whenever a discussion like this comes up, people tend to exaggerate the frequency that it's necessary to upgrade, as well as the costs involved.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Wow, people took this bait easily enough, eh?

PC gaming (on top of my other hobbies/vices) is a luxury i can't afford right now.

I don't think it will die any time soon tho. Just like this topic.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Donnyp said:
Piscivore said:
Also interested in your thoughts on what makes PC gaming better or worse than console gaming.

If this poll is already out there I apologize. I'm new.
Lol this thread has been done to death lol.

OT: I think PC has the DLC market cornered with Mods. But as for Connection to all others it's console gaming. Not saying no one uses PC for online gaming but not everyone has the money to buy Gaming Rigs.
IM sorry, I disagree. Its not been done to death, its been done to death, then to life, then to death, then reincarnated, then done to death again, then jumped on by a gnome, then raised as an undead lawyer, then done to a dead, dead. And then brought back by god himself to do this all over again.

And wow.. That poll is really, really biased. I mean either PC is just for Making games. Or you would NEVER abandon the PC. Or the PC is only for mature games, WTF IS THAT?

Hector Haddow

Jan 12, 2011
pc gameing is not dead gust pc spesific games are becomeing scarce and are mostly limited to the indi market (minecraft, dwarf fortres...) rts and fully functional versions of the sims but 9/10 big releaces are multi platform nomaly including pc although there is sometimes a delay as some companys nameing no names (ubisoft-cough) makesure the retail pc version is as unplayable as posible in the name of drm despite the fact that coders will make cracks/custom installers no mater how complex the drm it may take them longer several months in the case of assins creed 2 but they did it so you are just as well using SecuROM or simalar non inrtusive drm as with some games it is easir to download and install ilegaly than to use a legiemate coppy

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I's sooner expect Sony to drop out of the console business than the death of PC gaming.

PC gaming is doing very, very well, but for some reason people haven't caught up.

1. MMOs on the PC make more revenue than all the games on the Xbox360 combined.
2. casual gaming (games like farmville) on the PC, dwarfs Nintendo
3. on the triple-A front, nobody counts the digital downloads that amount to 50% of the AAA game sales in North America (and Valve keeps quiet about it while most of that money is flowing through them).

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Cadaurny said:
Skizle said:
Cadaurny said:
Souplex said:
"Will"? It already has. It's just that some people insist on dragging its corpse around, talking to it and telling everybody it's alive.
I'm sorry Steve, Hannah didn't make it. You need to accept it, bury her and move on. Continuing on this path just makes a mockery of her beautiful life.
Tell that to the 3 million people who got on Steam alone in the past 48 hours. It's not some people, it's millions and when millions of people are in a community, guess what? It's alive.
Thats 3 million plus the X million on Battle.net. Remember there is more to PC gaming than Steam. Also compare it to the X million of XBL and PSN accounts logged on. Just stating the facts.
That's why I said "who got on Steam ALONE". I don't know how many accounts on XBL or PSN logged in but there were 3 million people just on Steam for one point in the past 48 hours. Which proves my point that PC gaming isn't dying.
No it doesn't honestly. Battle.net more than doubles that. with over 12 million World of Warcraft accounts in their database and even if only half of those accounts are active it still doubles Steam. And thats just for ONE GAME, their is also the rest of Blizzard's line up that havent been added in. That is more proof that PC gaming isn't dying.