Poll:Will recent musician's music be taught in the same as music by people like Mozart?

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Treefingers said:
Straz said:
Treefingers said:
For one, Hendrix is already taught in contemporary music history classes.

Secondly, you can't even compare the two. Mozart is a significant figure in the entire of Western music history. He broke ground like few others have, and in a way that can't be repeated let alone topped. His music is technically far far far superior to anything that Hendrix or Metallica could have ever hoped to create.

Hendrix did have a significant contribution to music yes, but it's nothing compared to how important Mozart is.
Ah jeez.
Way to rip on our music, man.
Although Enter Sandman is hardly an opus magnum.
Just saying, there's plenty of better Metallica around.
In retrospect, you look at say, Pachbel's canon, and you look at a classic 30's pop track, and you have to admit that classical truly was a great genre, as some music was just not made to last.
I say classic 30's pop track with disdain, as pretty much all music prior to Elvis is held with contempt in my eyes.
I don't even know what I'm talking about most of the time.
Don't get me wrong, im not some classical music snob, but you can't deny the ground-breaking complexity of guys like Mozart. It carries a lot more weight than that which contemporary music has to offer.

I love Hendrix. I really do. But comparing Hendrix (or Metallica) to Mozart is just silly.

As a side note, all Elvis did was everything that black blues musicians were doing prior to him, except that he stuck a pretty white face on it and so he became way more famous. To be fair though, he always acknowledged his influence, which was pretty brave in the 50's. There is a lot of good music that came before Elvis though is my point.
Oh crap, did i fail to mention blues?
Well them too.
I don't really like Elvis, but he certainly broke rock in, so he's good.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Treefingers said:
Guestowel said:
No, music today is simplistic in style, and as an instrument the guitar is limited in range.
No way!! The guitar is one of the most variable instruments available. Perhaps topped only by synthesizers, but that's cheating. But the guitar fits perfectly into so many styles of music. Especially when compared to say, a violin or something. The guitar is far from limited.
Well.
You have big violins and small ones.
do the same with a guitar and add a bow.
Voila!

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Straz said:
Treefingers said:
Guestowel said:
No, music today is simplistic in style, and as an instrument the guitar is limited in range.
No way!! The guitar is one of the most variable instruments available. Perhaps topped only by synthesizers, but that's cheating. But the guitar fits perfectly into so many styles of music. Especially when compared to say, a violin or something. The guitar is far from limited.
Well.
Voila!
If you are actually talking about different sized violins, well, they are still all violins that do exactly the same thing. Except that children learning need smaller ones as they themselves are physically smaller.

However, if you are saying that a double bass, a cello, viola, violin are all the same instrument then you are an idiot.

In any case, i don't understand the point you are trying to make?

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Straz said:
Treefingers said:
Guestowel said:
Well.
Voila!
The guitar is used in perhaps more genres than any other instrument I can think of (appart from perhaps "percussion"). Rock, jazz, blues, world, folk, classical, dance. It can be used as both a rhythm instrument and a lead instrument. There are lots of techniques you can use with it that you cannot use in a lot of other instruments (bending notes, use of feedback, tapping). Its sound can vary from highly clear notes used in jazz and classical to the near white noise of genres like heavy metal and shoegaze/noise rock.

Straz

Jan 10, 2010
Treefingers said:
Straz said:
Treefingers said:
Guestowel said:
Well.
Voila!
If you are actually talking about different sized violins, well, they are still all violins that do exactly the same thing. Except that children learning need smaller ones as they themselves are physically smaller.

However, if you are saying that a double bass, a cello, viola, violin are all the same instrument then you are an idiot.

In any case, i don't understand the point you are trying to make?
WANT MOAR BIGGER GUITARS!

Dude, I don't know.