Poll:Will recent musician's music be taught in the same as music by people like Mozart?

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Possibly, many years from now. It would probably bands like Led Zeppelin though, rather than Metallica. Led Zeppelin had a much, much larger influence on rock/metal than Metallica ever has, or ever will have.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
It may never be put on the exact same level as its not comparable but I do believe its likely to be listened to in music classes as a "prime" example of music from its era.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
The difference between the great classic composers and current composers in just one: the instruments. It's all still math.

Will current composers be taught in the future? Yes, unfortunately. And I say "unfortunately", because only the 'popular' garbage will be taught, not the genuinely good shit; just what the sheep like.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Berethond said:
Belladonnah said:
Guestowel said:
No, music today is simplistic in style, and as an instrument the guitar is limited in range.
How is the guitar more simplistic than a piano?
Speaking from a purely mechanical stand-point, the guitar is much more simple.
...and both are still, in potential, more complex then the entirety of humanity could ever explore the entirety of musical possibilities, given the age of the universe. It would be impossible to explore the phase space of musical possibilities in either of these instruments, so saying that one is more complex is an academic point at best.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
To be honest, I reckon music 'classes' will go a completely different direction. I've recently read an interesting book in which a scientist pretty much proves that the listener himself is a huge part of music - he mentally creates and has specific expectations that make his own influence on 'hearing' music so large that musical litteracy (naming notes and the likes) aren't all too important. I suspect that in a hundred years we'll have foregone the whole view of "specific music being art" and that the entire musical 'world' will be much more about working with and appreciating music you like.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Recent musicians music taught in class? Like a music class?

"Alright class, lets do that one more time from the top. A one and a two and a....

Lets have some fun this beat is sick, I want to take a ride on your disco stick..."

Umm yeah, I can definitely see that happening.

Also, I understand why so many people LOVE Metallica, being the most known and 'accessible' metal band in existence, but 'they can play their instruments competently' is not saying much. There are plenty (read: almost all) other metal bands which I would rather listen to. I honestly find their music mostly boring, but occasionally passable.

That said almost no one likes the bands I do, but I imagine thats mostly because they arent in the media like... at all in North America.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
The first college class I took was called "Modern Day Mozarts: The Music of Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, and (something or other, I forget)." Now, I may not have liked all of the music we discussed, but the Professor did a good job of justifying his association, proving a certain amount of 'genius' by the creators, as well as the cultural importance of the works in question. So yes, absolutely, modern music will be studied and taught in a similar vein.

Just remember that Mozart was unnaturally talented, in a way that ensures he will be taught for centuries to come, regardless of how many other very talented musical creators show up.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
Taerdin said:
Recent musicians music taught in class? Like a music class?

"Alright class, lets do that one more time from the top. A one and a two and a....

Lets have some fun this beat is sick, I want to take a ride on your disco stick..."
Exactly my point. This is hardly something that most people would consider to be art, and with good reason.
Actually, many English, American History, and Social Studies courses look at Hip-hop music, poetry, and art as legitimate social commentary and important artistic expression. Look at Arrested Development's "Tennessee" or Above the Law's "Freedom of Speech" for good examples of meaningful Rap which can be taught in the classroom.

If 90% of everything is crud, I posit that ONE of the remaining 10 percent isn't just 'good' but also culturally significant. This goes for Classical music as well as Rock and Roll and Rythm and Blues and Grunge and 'Pop' and Rap, etc etc etc. There is merit in any form of artistic expression, but you do have to sort through the chaff to get to it.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
First post ever, although I have been observing this forum from a distance for a while as the occaisional thread title strikes me while watching one of the various video thingys. Thas has made me vow to at one point in my life, write a thesis (or something) that will cause an end to 99% of music arguments on the internet. One of the chapters I hope to include is "Why you are wrong by saying all modern music sucks".

The simple answer to this poll is recent musicians music is taught extensively, however it wont be taught in the same way as Mozart. Nothing to do with a variation in quality, simply that Mozart was a composer, ie. his music was written down as sheet music then recreated note for note by the performers. This lends itself very easily to music students as you can look at the sheet music and analyse it like you would a book, looking at the intervals, chord sequences, tempo changes, rhythms etc. If we take someone like Jimi Hendrix however, his music was largely improvised, varying everytime he played it. People like (early) Bob Dylan or most rappers have relatively simplistic instrumental parts because they are really just using the music as a vehicle for lyrics. If you look at an opera on the other hand, even the most acclaimed ones have uniformly appauling lyrics. Nowadays, things like production are important, from Brian Wilson (the Beach Boys) "using the studio as an instrument", to nowadays examples like Toxic by Britney Spears.*

*Crap song? Ok, ignore the singing for a moment, and listen to the instrumental side of it. The violin part throughout, the cutting of the beat just before the chorus, the minor scale guitar that comes after the chorus, the various fills throughout, the breakdown about 2 minutes in. Even if it is not to your taste, which is perfectly reasonable to say, you must admit its quite a complex peice of music with lots to appreciate and analyse.

Hmm... thats quite a lot for a first post, thought I better start with a bang.

Jun 11, 2008
Some will like Jim Hendrix but I doubt Metallica will ever be used as an example in normal educational purposes as there are much better examples. Only truely good people will still be listened to or taught. There are plenty more people than say Mozart or Bach people just don't know about same will happen to our music.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
Sir John The Net Knight said:
I had an English teacher, one that disliked me immensely, that made us study rock music. But it was hardly study, all he did was make us copy lyrics and turn them in. That hardly makes Arrested Development, Lady Gaga or 99.99% of the other music out there comparable to Mozart.
Sure, that teacher's an idiot, but that doesn't mean that real, scholarly work can't be done analyzing and interpreting current music. Few people in the history of the world will reach Mozart's level of creativity (that guy must have had something seriously wrong with him!), but 99.99% of the stuff written at his time wasn't genius, either. I would go so far as to guess that 90% of it was crud, in fact. Crud of a different sort, surely, with different emphases and style, but still relatively useless.

Except that 'crass' commercial music and art can be enlightening as well. Sociologists will tell you that you can learn a great deal about the character of a group by its chosen forms of expression, and that is especially true for the music of many of the sub-cultures in our modern society. In a paper last semester, I made the claim that Hip-hop's focus on an excessively masculine version of sexuality, wealth, and violence are a result of the experiences of poor inner-urban communities (especially during the 70s and 80s, but continuing through today) in racial inequality, political and economic powerlessness, breakdown in family stability and cultural history, and the increasingly dangerous and cut-throat culture of criminal drug trafficking, a primary way of life with so many other avenues of opportunity difficult if not impossible for members of the community to traverse.

So I have two points. One: even the crassest and most commercial music, with its (telling, overindulgant) portrayal of sexuality, violence, and wealth (which points to severe problems with sex and family, fear of the very real dangers present in every-day life, and crippling poverty being helped not at all by the system or our culture of consumption) is worthwhile for study. Two: very few musicians or composers of our age will rise to the level of 'artistic' and cultural value of the most famous composers of previous ages like Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikofsky, Rachmaninoff, etc. -- but we have to remember that the same was true of their era, too. The average court musician or church organist was just trying to get paid and make a living. If they were lucky, they got to create something beautiful for the future every once in a while. And while this culture wasn't inherently worthwhile, we would never have gotten Bach or Mozart without its influence and the opportunities it afforded to cultivate them and their talents. The same is true of music today. True visionaries won't be able to create if there isn't an environment in which they can do so.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
the Dept of Science said:
Hmm... thats quite a lot for a first post, thought I better start with a bang.
Excellent reasoning and analysis. You make some very good points about how the way we experience and study music, musically, has changed. I look forward to reading more of your insight.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Mozart-like fame is rare, extremely rare, but I do think that there some modern musicians can reach that fame. The Beatles come to mind, Jimi Hendrix for sure, The Rolling Stones, influential bands and people like that.

As for music from the 21st century...gee, can't think of much that could be remembered like Mozart. Not that there isn't good music out there, there is, plenty, but you need to be very influential if you want to reach that level of fame.