Poll: Will Skyrim be this generations Ocarina of time

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Skyrim is not going to be the OOT of its generation.

For one... Skyrim isn't doing anything revolutionary to change the gaming industry. It's not taking a genre and bringing it into the modern age.

It's. Just. An. Elder. Scrolls. Game. Nothing. More.

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune was the Ocarina of Time of this generation. It was revolutionary in terms of how to meld gameplay with storytelling, and games have either aped it or ignored its lessons.

Skyrim isn't going to change things. It's just going to be another first person rpg.

Steel_viper said:
lets just reveiw the ground rules, if you have never been a PC gamer, you've never been a gamer
Wrong. Show me an PC action adventure title half as good as the Zelda series, and I'll show you a PC gamer who is either self-deluded, or thinks emulating a Zelda game makes it a PC game.

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Doubtful. Ocarina of Time was a very innovative game for its time, whereas Skyrim is merely using the same formula it has used for it's past games, only more of it, which I fear may not add as much as the developers are hoping, but we'll see this week, I imagine. Just my thoughts.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Why isn't there a poll? I came just to check the "FUCK NO" option.

1) Skyrim and OoT are completely different genres.

2) Will there be a ton of people under 10 playing Skyrim that will then talk about it for the rest of their lives? no.

Valorik

Mar 19, 2009
Well, personally I hope Skyrim will be the Majora's Mask of our generation, it was always better than Ocarina of Time anyways.

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
GartarkMusik said:
Doubtful. Ocarina of Time was a very innovative game for its time, whereas Skyrim is merely using the same formula it has used for it's past games, only more of it, which I fear may not add as much as the developers are hoping, but we'll see this week, I imagine. Just my thoughts.
"merely using the same formula it has used for it's past games, only more of it"
You my friend have just described the entire Zelda franchise.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Ocarina of Time like Final Fantasy VII the year before changed what games are meant to be, it took it beyond what was established about games and as much as I'm looking forward for Skyrim now, it won't change what games are meant to be now a days simply because the new generations of gamers are into different genres and styles of gameplay

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
Eighth 1 said:
GartarkMusik said:
"merely using the same formula it has used for it's past games, only more of it"
You my friend have just described the entire Zelda franchise.
Indeed, but I meant the technological side of things. In my opinion, in order for a game to be the next Ocarina of Time, it needs to introduce a mechanic that will become a mainstay for nearly every game made afterwards, such as the target-lock system and context-sensitive buttons. I personally don't think Skyrim will add anything very new, which is not to say it won't be good, I'll probably check it out at some point, but this generation's Ocarina of Time? I don't think so.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Will Skyrim pioneer the next big leap forward in gaming, be unanimously accepted as one of the greatest games of it's generation, and redefine it's genre as the standard for years to come? Probably not.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Deshara said:
Nah. I'll be good, but it won't be legendary. People won't be pirating it 20 years from now just to relive the amazing masterpeice that they once worshipped like so much honey.
You're correct, they won't, because they will have kept their original copy and been playing it the whole time.

Yes, skyrim will be legendary. If it's half as good as it looks, it will be the best game of the console generation.

Jonesy911

Jul 6, 2009
I don't think we'll ever have equivalents to the games that came out in the late 90's. The N64 and Ps1 were FUCKING MAGIC MACHINES, not games consoles

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
That would be really awesome if it manages to acquire that feat. Kinda doubtful though.

Regardless, only three more days!!

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Never played Ocarina of Time. Nor am I planning to.
Will play Skyrim, not expecting anything great. Just another oblivion with slightly better graphix.

mwpher

Jul 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure that the fact that people are calling it things like "this generation's Ocarina of Time" guarantees that it won't be.

Not to mention that, if I remember correctly, OOT was kind of a surprise hit, the complete opposite of Skyrim.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I think it has the best chance of any game in a long while, but I don't think it'll reach quite what OoT did. Since it's not out yet we'll just have to wait and see.