Poll: Will the colorado shooting make people not go see the Dark Knight Rises?

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
BeeGeenie said:
I chose no, because, while there may be a few morons that believe the media hype that lone gunmen are hiding out at all local theaters now; by and large, most of us are smart enough to realize this was a tragic but isolated incident, and that it has nothing to do with the movie itself.
Pretty much my thoughts exactly. There's ultimately no reason that the shooting should affect my decision or my feelings toward watching the movie, and it doesn't. You'd better believe I'm still going to see it in theaters!

Captcha: civil war. I'm...not quite sure what to make of that one.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Lilani said:
On the contrary, I think it might bring more people in. There seemed to be a bit of a deficit of excitement surrounding the film since it wasn't getting totally stellar reviews and people were skeptical about Anne Hathaway, the lack of the Joker, etc. But now it's got some headlines, almost similar to the Heath Ledger situation in a way. I think a few more people will be interested in the movie people died trying to see.
You may have a point there...I really hope this trend of advertising doesn't take off, though.

Hey, anyone remember that shooting in, I think it was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button? Only one or two people killed IIRC, but even so, mostly forgotten the next day.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
Nah, I'll just come up with some sort of plan for the next time some psycho armed with SWAT gear comes bursting in gunning everyone down.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The_Waspman said:
I don't necessarily think it will stop the majority of people going to see it. However, like Dark Knight is remembered as the film that 'made Heath ledger kill himself', Dark Knight Rises will be remembered as the film 'where that maniac shot a lot of people'.

Sad, but true.
...You do know that Leath Ledger's death was a complete accident right? He accidentally overdosed on prescription medicine.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Nope, the awful trailers did that, that and Brad Jones' review of the movie which solidified what I had already suspected.

erttheking said:
The_Waspman said:
I don't necessarily think it will stop the majority of people going to see it. However, like Dark Knight is remembered as the film that 'made Heath ledger kill himself', Dark Knight Rises will be remembered as the film 'where that maniac shot a lot of people'.

Sad, but true.
...You do know that Leath Ledger's death was a complete accident right? He accidentally overdosed on prescription medicine.

I believe it was Daniel Tosh that said "He took a handfull of pills, he knew how that nap would end."

Marcus McLean

May 12, 2010
From the tweets I've seen, there are definitely people stupid enough to believe that they could get shot if they go.

The thing is, I assume this is basically what the gunman wanted. He wanted to taint the movie for people, or think of a way to make an impact on the world by being the guy that ruined this movie for people. And I think the sad truth is that he succeeded. The wiki article for DKR will always have a section talking about what he did.

The scary thing to think about is if another maniac REALLY wanted to make waves, this would be the ideal time to do it. If someone else in a different state or country also shoots up a DKR screening, that would cement this movie forever as 'the movie that makes people shoot up theatres'. One gunman, people can rationally process. Multiple shootings and this becomes a phenomenon.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
The worst evils don't favor just one kind of place to do their deeds.

A harsh fact it might be, but it's possible to be killed anywhere. Best you can do is keep a cool head, be thankful you're still alive, and be prepared for any moment danger has arisen.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
I figured after seeing what happened on the news that more people will actually flock to see the Dark Knight Rises rather than avoid it.

I doubt anyone is thinking if they go to watch this movie they will be attacked.

Vilty

Apr 15, 2009
A really paranoid friend of mine said he wouldn't go because he was fearful that there might be some sort of terrorist group that's been planning to kill people who like batman.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I went but was paranoid whenever the staff came to check in.
Then I realized I sat in the exact spot that would make me the first person to get shot if someone came in....

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Vilty said:
A really paranoid friend of mine said he wouldn't go because he was fearful that there might be some sort of terrorist group that's been planning to kill people who like batman.
....Oh my god my lungs hurt from the laughter.

I have this mental image of an acne riddled terrorist groups holding terrorist meetings above a comic book shop in the same area where they hold TCG tournaments, that inevitably call themselves the 'Marvel Ultimate Alliance'

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
I'd say it'll cause at least a 5% dip in projected earnings, and I derived that number straight from my asshole.

We should also consider the possible long term effects on the movie going experience. Apparently, some theaters have started doing pat downs and screenings for movie showings, (not just for TDKR for the record) and some people are bound to stop trusting theaters in general.

What's sad is that theaters will be attacked for not being safe enough anymore, but I doubt lawmakers will sit down and have an actual discussion on gun control for once. :(

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Well if it happened where I live, it still wouldn't stop me from seeing a movie I'm interested in. Same goes for the rest of my family and my best friend.

I'm not going to see TDKR

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I'd think no but the first thing out of my girl...pal...friend...partner, thing's mouth when we talked was "We are not going to a late night showing of that movie" So I guess it has scared people to some degree. I personally don't see the difference, you could get shot by a madman at any time in public.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
The only thing that should be rethought is the whole "midnight showing" and "midnight release" madness. Any time you pack a bunch of people together in a club/theater/building, something bad eventually happens be it a fire/shooting/bombing/tornado. Maybe we should chill out on the "we all have to see this together at the same time" business. I'm NOT putting the blame on the victims or anything, but crowd control and general safety is a more practical point of discussion, rather "outlaw all the guns" or "legalize all the guns" or "metal detectors at movie theaters." You just can't account for somebody going apeshit like that. Evil finds a way.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
I'm in the opposite camp. I think it will prevent a lot of people from seeing it in theaters (at least in the US)

dangoball said:
Since 9/11 wasn't the end of air traffic I doubt this shooting will cause more than a hiccup on Dark Knight Rising income chart. It might lead to higher security standards and that's about it.
While true, there was a tremendous decrease in people flying for a long time after 9/11. It eventually bankrupted a couple airlines. Granted, the devastation was on a much grander scale, it still kind of fits.

After the Columbine massacre, a lot of parents kept their kids out of school for a short time until the dust settled on that one.

So, I think it will hurt the movie, at least, in the short term

Captcha: hallowed ground

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
I doubt it. But they're not releasing any numbers until Monday out of respect for the families so we'll find out in a couple of days.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Sexy Devil said:
I doubt it. But they're not releasing any numbers until Monday out of respect for the families so we'll find out in a couple of days.
Really? Would you mind sharing a source please? I thought they weren't going to cancel anything even with the tragedy.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I won't be going now. Not because I think it might happen to me, I'm not a moron. Because I won't be able to think about anything else while I'm there. 2:45 of me imagining how it played out. Seeing images of dead bodies, injured people, people crying over the dead. No thanks.