Poll: Will you buy The Old Republic now?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
BioWare announced at ComiCon that Space Combat will be a part of the TOR experience.

"Space combat is an alternative gameplay experience to the primary game of storytelling, questing, and ground-based combat. In space combat, you fly your personal ship to various "hot spots" on your galaxy map. From there, you will blast your way through asteroid fields, enemy fighters, frigates, destroyers, and a variety of other obstacles that will evoke memories of some of the great Star Wars space battles."

This is all we have at the moment in addition to the cover of PC Gamer's October issue, which will feature a more in-depth look at how Space Combat will work in TOR.

So has this changed your decision to purchase Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Source [http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=173964]

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Wasn't planning on buying it. Cartoon Star Wars in Space is still Cartoon Star Wars. Just doesn't fit. And the combat's supposed to be exactly like every other MMO out there.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
Wasn't planning on buying it. Cartoon Star Wars in Space is still Cartoon Star Wars. Just doesn't fit. And the combat's supposed to be exactly like every other MMO out there.
Cartoon Star Wars? What is that? Are you getting this game mixed up with Clone Wars Adventures or something?

TOR's graphics are stylized but there's nothing cartoonish about them. Every MMO changes up their combat, TOR isn't an exception, there's no auto-attack, combat is more choreographed.

Punisher A.J.

Nov 18, 2009
Hehe... most people were asking too many questions about the player ships, saying that they were just going to be used for travel and will have no point. So this has got to be good news.... right? Gameplay video please?

Haunted Serenity

Jul 18, 2009
Going to buy it always but the hope for alderann trailer sealed the deal permantly because of the awesome trooper. Going to be that class for sure. space combat i expected would be annouced later because it's STAR wars.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I really wish I could buy it, but there are just too many releases already.

P47R1CK

Jun 15, 2009
Star Wars + MMO + Bioware + Space Combat = Im buying that, and paying the subscription fees until the playerbase dies (and, lets face it - it will.)

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I'm still on the fence but ultimately leaning towards "not buying" simply because I'm not a PC gamer (save the odd Melty Blood session).

If BioWare ever releases a console version, I'll be all over it.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
Zing said:
TOR's graphics are stylized but there's nothing cartoonish about them. Every MMO changes up their combat, TOR isn't an exception, there's no auto-attack, combat is more choreographed.
You just increased my excitement for this game tenfold. Out of curiosity, where did you see that?

OT: Sp...Sp...SPACE COMBAT? Yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Seriously, I was hoping they'd do something like this.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
I voted that I don't play MMOs but that stance has been weakening for quite some time now. I've always thought WoW is the sort of game I could get really into, but I don't want to pay a subscription fee and I know I'm exactly the sort of guy who'd have to watch himself lest he turn into a slave to the machine (I'm bad enough with regular games). However, TOR looks like just the thing to get me to try an MMO.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009

Awesome here's a video of space combat on the heroengine, which TOR uses.

Timbydude said:
Zing said:
You just increased my excitement for this game tenfold. Out of curiosity, where did you see that?

At Gamespot: [http://au.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/starwarstheoldrepublic/news.html?sid=6238428&tag=topslot;title;1&mode=previews]

"Players who enjoy fast melee combat will identify with this class--there's no passive auto-attack combat here. The Jedi knight has a smorgasbord of lightsaber abilities to choose from as the situation dictates and must continue to evaluate the battle to see whether he should strike hard at one or two targets or swing widely to keep a whole cluster of enemies at bay."

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
I'm still pretty on the fence, leaning towards a do not buy. For one, I'm just not a huge fan of Star Wars and for another, I'm just not a huge fan of computer gaming. But if the planets align just right, I might get it. It certainly isn't hurt by the idea of space combat.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Timbydude said:
Zing said:

I don't know about the no Auto attack, but I did see the gameplay combat video they showed G4 on Xplay before E3, and it looked alright. There was actual choreography done to make combat feel more connected, rather than just wham I hit, you react, wham you hit, I react the same way....

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Sturmdolch said:
yeah from the vidz's the combat is very very genirc in MMO standards.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I was always going to buy it. Now my excitement has increased by like a bajillion

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Zing said:

Awesome here's a video of space combat on the heroengine, which TOR uses.
Thank you for that. That's probably the smoothest space combat I've ever seen. Hope STOR controls similarly.

Was always going to get STOR, but this news is great.

fuhier

Jun 20, 2010
Gonna try it before that but that gameplay mode might add some fun to it never know

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Johnnyallstar said:
I don't know about the no Auto attack, but I did see the gameplay combat video they showed G4 on Xplay before E3, and it looked alright. There was actual choreography done to make combat feel more connected, rather than just wham I hit, you react, wham you hit, I react the same way....[/quote]

Basically, from I heard from the demos you have active abilities rather then the standard auto-attack, you always have to use an ability to do damage, your standard attack which is called Assault for Sith Warriors is like an auto-attack with a global cooldown and no cost, basically you can choose to use it, and it's something you can use in between special attacks.

Korten12 said:
Sturmdolch said:
yeah from the vidz's the combat is very very genirc in MMO standards.
No, not really, you should probably watch some more "vidz's".