Poll: Will you buy the Xbox 720 if the rumors that it blocks used game usage are true?

Pandabearparade

Mar 23, 2011
So, I've heard from multiple sources (completely unreliable ones, just to be clear) that Microsoft is intending to make the Xbox 360's successor immune to the plague of horrible, horrible individuals who want to buy previously owned games.

While at this point there is little reason to grab the torches and pitchforks, the rumor itself does bring up an interesting question: Would that, alone, be enough for you to give pass on the system completely?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
First of all, I hope Microsoft hurries up and gives it a name, I am already really tired of "Xbox 720."

Also, there's already a thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339928-xbox-3-to-not-play-used-games-rumor#13752634] on this only a couple of days old. And because I really don't want to write it out again, here is what I said about it in that thread verbatim:

Exclusives aren't worth a dime if your customer base hates you so much they won't buy the console. Plus it's also disfranchising retailers, so even the stores they'll be counting on to sell the games and consoles will be mad and might even stop carrying their stuff.

And, now that I think about it, why would this need to be done on a console level? All publishers would have to do is a product key like they do with PC downloads and voila. Same results, and no having to bribe a console maker to do it.
So, no. That is just fucking stupid. I mean, on top of all that, all publishers and developers would have to be behind this in order to get it to work. It's just...ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.

zuro64

Aug 20, 2009
What option should I choose if I dont plan to buy it anyway?

Also, how the hell will they block used games?
I mean since many games dont need a code or a online account to play!

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
It would be a deal breaker for me, might even be a deal breaker for brick and mortar retailers. They can choose not to sell a product so M$ should be careful with this way of thinking.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Very, very unlikely unless it has a few really amazing exclusives I'm willing to pay full price for.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
It would be a dealbreaker. The 360 isn't exactly home to a bunch of great exclusive games, so I wouldn't see the point of buying the new one over a gaming PC if this were the case.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
I own a gaming pc, so unless the nextbox comes with some hugely innovative ideas that arent kinect, probably not gettinv it anyway.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I buy used a lot so yes it would. I can't afford games new all the time, and anyway what are you supposed to do if you can't find a new copy? Games aren't like movies; they go out of print after only a couple of years. If I want to play a new game that's a few years old I'd be fucked.

I'll most likely wait and see what Sony come up with, and if that's no better I'll use the money I would have spent on a console on a gaming PC.

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
Sure.

They'd better have have great demos though, 'cause I won't be buying many games without trying first. Good luck with that, MS.

Doc Theta Sigma

Jan 5, 2009
Well they're unlikely to put such a feature in considering they'd pretty much be shooting themselves in the foot by giving their consumers a reason to y'know... Avoid the thing like the plague.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I wouldn't say I'm certain, and I would definitely not make a decision based on what little we know now (totally unsubstantiated rumours with no details whatsoever about what sort of blocking would be in place).

If the 720 does not allow any used games to be played at all and the PS4 does, I would almost certainly get a PS4 instead.

If it's just the way that both systems are and there is no escaping it, I'd accept it as a sign of the times and get whichever looked better at the time.

If it does block used games in some sense but only as far as a built in version of how Project $10 generally works now, I would have no issue with it and would buy it (assuming it looks buying anyway) as I have no issue with Project $10 type setups.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I may not be a console gamer anymore, but... something like that certainly would disturb me quite a bit. Used games are not "evil" or anything. Some games I got used have turned out to be quite awesome, not to mention cheap. :eek:

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Used console games are a bloody ripoff at most places. This is a non-issue for me.

That said, I probably won't be buying it unless it either brings something very new to the table, or has a pack of good exclusives that the current 360 is lacking. Both seem unlikely, but we'll see.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Well, I was considering buying a next gen Xbox instead of a PS4 if it is a superior build quality to the 360, but with a stupid restriction such as this, it seems less likely. That said, I rarely buy used PS3 games as it is.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Although the rumor has almost zero factual basis behind it I have to say that I would be very concerned if I could not play used games. Im more concerned that they will stop me from borrowing a game from a friend or even worse, if a friend comes over and we cant play whatever he/she just got

Again, being as uninformed as we are about the idea I would say yes, that would be a deal breaker for me.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
Used console games are a bloody ripoff at most places.
Then you should be using Amazon.com and Ebay like everyone, instead.

Buying in bulk, I've paid less than $1 a piece for some games.