Poll: worried about half-life3

masterbazza

Mar 24, 2011
a disturbing though came to mind. No, not that it wont come out but that it might be like what happened to duke nukem forever..shit

of course i might just be a bit paranoid.
but what do you think?

zombieshark6666

Sep 27, 2011
I will give my Orange Box 360 disc to anyone who lives close enough to Verdun. I can't stand anything having to do with Half-Life anymore. Or hats, or steam sales.

I used to like cake, but then Valve took an arrow in the knee.

FTS

n00dle37

Aug 29, 2011
The problem with Duke Nukem forever was that it was trying to keep up with the evolving game industry, sadly gaming hasn't evolved much since HL2:ep2 (its graphics still hold up well and is a great example of level design).
Taking this into account, as long as Episode 3 is released in the next 2 years or so, it'll be great. After all this is valve we are talking about.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Valve ≠ 3D Realms or Gearbox.

I don't think we need to worry about it being bad. As for whether it ever actually comes out... well, that's another matter.

I'm not too fussed. If it comes then it comes and I will presumably be happy. If it doesn't then it's not like we don't have other things to do and games to play.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
masterbazza said:
a disturbing though came to mind. No, not that it wont come out but that it might be like what happened to duke nukem forever..shit

of course i might just be a bit paranoid.
but what do you think?
The things that happened to Duke Nukem Forever to keep it from coming out aren't even REMOTELY happening to HL3 or Valve. DNF's developers ran out of money, had shaky leadership, and died out. Valve is alive and flourishing.

Gabe Newell has confirmed that there will be a HL3 annoucement at E3. And I mean really, just use your head a minute. Valve is doing perfectly fine. Half-Life is their flagship franchise. What reason do they have to let their most anticipated game yet fall by the wayside? The fans won't have it. They have no excuse, and it only serves to severely hurt them. It WILL come, and fairly soon I believe.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Lilani said:
Gabe Newell has confirmed that there will be a HL3 annoucement at E3. And I mean really, just use your head a minute.
No he hasn't. Nobody in Valve has said anything regarding HL3, except dismissing ARG and announcement rumors.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Nope. I believe that Valve will make an awesome game.
I mean, they haven`t really let me down yet. Sure, it`s been a long time since the last episode came out, but still, i`m fine with waiting.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
ohnoitsabear said:
Lilani said:
Gabe Newell has confirmed that there will be a HL3 annoucement at E3. And I mean really, just use your head a minute.
No he hasn't. Nobody in Valve has said anything regarding HL3, except dismissing ARG and announcement rumors.
You don't remember the 4 chan email thing?

And then later to be even clearer about what he said in that email, he later said "Something with a three" would be announced at E3. They have said the wild claims of ARG are false (which is pretty obvious with how far-fetched it got), but nobody from Valve has said anything about this being false.

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
All of valves games have be solid. Sure it takes them awhile but thats so they get them right. I'm not worried.

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
I remember being worried about Half Life 2. I didn't think it could possibly be anywhere near as good as Half Life...well, I was wrong, I liked Half Life 2 just as much...maybe more. So I can't say I'm worried.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Whatever. I just can't wait to see Alyx's redesign. I mean, it's been years since the last HL2 ep, it would be stupid if they didn't pimp up the whole visual design.

Lilani

May 27, 2009
SecretNegative said:
Why do people keep talking about Half Life 3? Wouldn't it be better to finish Episode 3 first? That has been on hold since, what is it, 4 and a half years now?
The logic behind "Half-Life 3" is after six years, it would be rather insulting for Valve to produce only an episode of content. Many (including myself) are assuming that after all this time it's not just an episode Valve has been working on. Maybe it started that way, but something else has happened somewhere along the line.

That, and if they DON'T produce a full game, they'll have a lot of angry gamers on their hands. And Valve has never liked the idea of disappointing their fans. They keep an ear to the ground a lot more than other developers, and aren't above making drastic changes if that's what the players demand of them. They are quite aware of what HL fans expect. It would be very against their nature to ignore the demands of their fans.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'm concerned that they maybe just don't know how to finish off the story and make it original from the dozens of other sci-fi games.
I'm assuming they are just waiting so that they can do it right. But the longer they wait, the more people are going to expect from it so I think they should really hurry it up.

JamesCoote

Oct 30, 2011
I'm worried about HL3

With one of the strengths of HL1 being the physical puzzles, they were x10 more awesome in HL2. Portal has stolen the mantle of physical-puzzle king from HL2, so valve will have to create some fantastic innovation again with physical puzzles just to keep to current form

HL1 being set in an underground facility, albiet a huge one, you could get away with physically small, linear maps that lacked open-ended outdoor spaces (likewise with portal). HL2 maps felt like outdoors corridors. In a game that rewards lateral thinking and imagination to solve physical puzzles in some places, you are forced into certain behavior in other areas (you can't just park the car/ hovercraft and climb over the cliffs. You can't go round the problem). HL3 will have to reconcile this somehow

Finally in both HL1 and Portal 1, you had the feeling of being the last lone survivor in a very bleak and hostile world. You saw so few humans that you often got the creepy sensation that maybe everyone else in the whole world really had died and you were the last person left. Incidentally Doom 3 and Bioshock also did this, (though I think the best way to achieve this effect is when very occasionally you'd find a single other soul or two, but always nervous and fearful and surviving only through their own physical isolation (locked in their secure lab but unable to get past the monsters at the door). Doom 3 and portal 1 had too few of these other survivors to really hit the sweet spot for me, and instead just felt lacking in content and realism).

Alyx, and later on, Wheatly in Portal 2 are irritating beyond belief, interrupting the flow of the game with banal chatter and failing to actually assist in any more than an artificial way in contrived situations that you had no control over, and that really felt like they were thrown in just to justify said character's existence. If HL3 has any Wheatleys or Alyx's in it, it will, for me at least, be fail

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
There is no Half Life 3.
There is Half Life 2 Episode 3.

If Valve is making another Half Life sequel, it would have a development time of one decade, and would have an unrelated storyline.
It'll come out eventually. Knowing Valve, the amount of time that they're putting into HL2 Episode 3 means that it's probably going to be in near-maximum quality.