Poll: worried about half-life3

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
I don't honestly care, because I don't honestly care for any Valve games to begin with.

Yeah, sorry for coming into this topic. The ones that pop up are always about video games I don't really care about. So I get bored and restless.

Really, though, the most remotely interesting thing to me that Valve has ever produced is Portal. And it's still a first person shooter. My most loathed genre of video game ever.

Here's a more pertinent question. Does Valve plan to ever make anything that isn't a darn first person shooter? Because until they make something that isn't a first person game, they won't have a sliver of my curiosity.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I'm not worried about the game honestly. Valve has always come through with Half-Life and Portal (to me at least), so I'm pretty confident that I'll enjoy it. However, I'm sick of the fact that they have said virtually nothing other than "we're working on it."

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Nothing Valve has ever made hasn't at least reached the bar. And HL3 isn't in development hell, it's just in development.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Lilani said:
The logic behind "Half-Life 3" is after six years, it would be rather insulting for Valve to produce only an episode of content. Many (including myself) are assuming that after all this time it's not just an episode Valve has been working on. Maybe it started that way, but something else has happened somewhere along the line.
Umm, couldn't they do both? At this stage I was under the impression that they would simply produce something substantial enough (I think the game will be at least roughly 12 chapters) to be called a full game but just release it under the episodic title. It's just a name after all, I hardly think anyone is going to complain about the semantics of it all if they are delivered something approaching HL2's length. Anyway, all in all I'm not sure how to feel, the fact that they've released almost no information about the game over the course of the past 5 years is rather disconcerting, though simultaneously it provides me with nothing to actually make any judgements about it. Wait and see, I suppose. Que, sera, sera.

- Omni ^_^

-Mod edit: Please don't use bright colours, thanks!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
At this point, I'm 100% convinced there is no Half Life 3. I suspect that the development cycle to produce their story just inflated to the point where it just wasn't feasible to produce their usual quality of work without diverting from other projects.

And Valve probably wanted to work exclusively on other projects after working on Half Life 2 so much.

Believe me: that is a far kinder fate than the likes of getting a "Duke Nukem Forever/Daikatana".

Lord Revan 117

Oct 4, 2011
I'm not worried, because I don't care anymore. I played HL2, one of my most favorite games of all time 6 f***ing years ago and was eagerly awaiting the conclusion of the storyline. They made me wait too long and I lost interest. Unless I see a trailer or announcement, I can't see my anticipation being re-kindled anytime soon.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Not really too bothered. I never really thought Half Life was any better than Halo to be honest. The design is... ok, I suppose but it's not going to be special despite what everyone thinks. Nostalgia goggles are being worn by many a fan I think.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
masterbazza said:
a disturbing though came to mind. No, not that it wont come out
Heh.

Anyways. I'm not too concerned. Valve is one of the most competent developers out there, and they're hardly famous for being punctual.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
No, they are EVENTUALLY going to release it. But the question should not be IF they are going to make it .. but IF the game is actually going to have any relevance or if it will have even been, to quote Gabe, "Worth the weight." (See what I did there?)

I think it's been way too long between games for the cliffhanger at the end of Episode Two to have any kind of meaning. Unless VALVe makes the game super fucking awesome, I don't plan on buying it. Sorry.

Oh! And speaking of quoting Gabe Newell ...

Lilani said:
Gabe Newell has confirmed that there will be a HL3 annoucement at E3.
Nope. He never said that. And I can tell because all I have to do is look on the Half-Life 2: Episode Two forums to see that there is no thread about it and that people haven't exploded into a ball of hysteria of so much power that it would cause a small big bang.

Back when Portal 2 was coming out and we were all wondering what the Borealis achievement was going to be and if it was going to have meaning, someone created a picture that showed someone loading up Portal 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode Three booted up. Then, the person had every reaction picture before saying, "TOO MANY EMOTIONS!" That's what would happen.

Since everyone there is still alive, that means there is no E3 announcement. And if there is, I want to see the link. >:-|

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I have long since stopped caring. It's only a game! I have real life things to worry about, mortgage, work... and so forth. By the time it is released much of the community I expect would have other priorities.

Bagk Nakh

May 18, 2011
archvile93 said:
I'm not worried, since I've accepted that it's never coming.
Then Yahtzee does a joke review and a while later it gets announced, then everyone collectively shits, but then it turns out to be bad. Some will raeg, some will lol, and some of us "will have had it fucking called".

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
LilithSlave said:
I don't honestly care, because I don't honestly care for any Valve games to begin with.

Yeah, sorry for coming into this topic. The ones that pop up are always about video games I don't really care about. So I get bored and restless.

Really, though, the most remotely interesting thing to me that Valve has ever produced is Portal. And it's still a first person shooter. My most loathed genre of video game ever.

Here's a more pertinent question. Does Valve plan to ever make anything that isn't a darn first person shooter? Because until they make something that isn't a first person game, they won't have a sliver of my curiosity.
There's Alien Swarm (co-op top-down shooter, released for free to promote their new game engine) and Dota 2 (League of Legends-esque RTS thingamajig). But yeah, they seem to like putting cameras in the middle of characters' foreheads.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what's been keeping the game for so long, Valve and their concern that they've got to somehow one-up everyone's already sky-high expectations for another entry into the Half-Life franchise.

As for whether that concern will translate into a good game... probably, this *is* Valve we're talking about here. Still we'll see!

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
LilithSlave said:
If you don't belong here, then why are you here? Just to piss on VALVe games? That's like walking into a ladies room (if your a man) knowing full well you don't have any reason to and then say you hate all womens' restrooms to the shocked women inside. There is no reason for it.

As for a VALVe game that isn't an FPS: Defense of the Ancients 2. DotA 2. There. A non-FPS game made by VALVe. Also, I feel bad for any gamer who hates FPSes. Their game collections must be thin. <:-(

dogstile said:
Not really too bothered. I never really thought Half Life was any better than Halo to be honest. The design is... ok, I suppose but it's not going to be special despite what everyone thinks. Nostalgia goggles are being worn by many a fan I think.
I played Half-Life 1 after playing the Orange Box and I will say that Half-Life 1 sucked. The game being overly padded was my biggest gripe. The one thing I liked about Half-Life 1 was that it paved the way for Half-Life 2, which was a much better game.

And since I had never really known anything about the Half-Life games save for a demo for the original Xbox I got from the Official Xbox Magazine that was a demo of just Ravenholm, which says jack-shit about the story, I played Half-Life 2 without any preconceived ideas. And I thought it was a great game. :)

VALVe will have to do something amazing to rekindle my interest in the series. You know what I'm looking forward to? Hitman: Absolution! :D Even though they have a new voice actor for Agent 47 ... <:'-(

Jestere

Apr 20, 2009
it's valve, they are pretty friggin great at making games, I'm not worried about its quality (though I want to know some more about how it's going dammit valve!)

Jestere

Apr 20, 2009
it's valve, they are pretty friggin great at making games, I'm not worried about its quality (though I want to know some more about how it's going dammit valve!)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
The Virgo said:
dogstile said:
I played Half-Life 1 after playing the Orange Box and I will say that Half-Life 1 sucked. The game being overly padded was my biggest gripe. The one thing I liked about Half-Life 1 was that it paved the way for Half-Life 2, which was a much better game.
Its mainly the padding that pisses me off too. No expectations from me either, but so much of the game was spent pissing about while characters explained shit to you that you either already knew that it grew tedious. Also terrible the terrible cliche' of "nobody goes to ravenholme".

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Its all about doing a quality job. I bet they are waiting for the next big jump in motion capture and making sure it doesn't look like an add-on gimmick or something of that "tack-on" nature. (e.x. MW/BF clones of dirt brown fps's(dont get me wrong, both great series but they are extremely repetitive))

Valve is ALWAYS late with EVERYTHING.
And dont you forget it.