Poll: Would games be better without snipers?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
No. The only game I can see improving without snipers is halo, cause whoever gets the sniper rifle pretty much gets free 1-hit kills until they run out of ammo. CoD snipers are good, as are Bad Company 2 snipers.
I disagree, in Halo every weapon is balanced, they all have they're right and wrong uses, the sniper takes some serious skill if not practise to use it "properly" when no/quick scoping due to it's pin point accuracy, normal sniping it's fairly easy to find the sniper unless they keep moving and due to the scope getting knocked off when you get hit they are fairly easy to kill if you get a couple of shots in before they swap weapons.

OT: No, Shooters would not benefit without snipers. If you can't stand them kill them, I don't know any game where your average Sniper Joe couldn't be killed unless inside a wall or some other glitch.

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Actually they're only irritating at most. For instance in battlefield if the attackers in rush have too many snipers, defense is too easy. Of course it sucks if your teamed up with them.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
awesomeClaw said:
Because running and spraying bullets is the only legitimate way of playing any FPS. Anything else is a "f*ggoty a$$ n00b cheating".

That is acually how i see it.
I personally enjoy sniping and I see getting shot in the face by a sniper as a challenge to a snipe off. That's my opinion and I'll respect yours. But it doesn't change the fact that I believe the only FPS you should be playing is that shitty one on the wii.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
short answer: No, and you are stupid
long answer: No, and you are stupid and almost certainly poor company in the games to which you refer, due to your incessant whining. However, you have disguised your rant well, and thus I will humor you:
Snipers are awesome and they have no reason to be taken out of games. There are some games where sniping is stupid, and not snipe-ity at all, and then snipers are just annoying.

but lets play some MGO, see how you like sniping then, neh?

HEADSHOT!

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
I say yes, but only because a sniper made me rage quit MW2, it was like he knew where I was going and was killing only me. I was raping faces and then he pops up and head-shots me before I can even ADS and blast him to bits with my Uzi. Now imagine that twenty times over. I went 32 and 23 and twenty of those deaths were because of that one damned sniper. It's not that I can't handle dying and such, I just don't like repetition, and being killed by an Intervention FMJ with Fall camo 20 times over is very infuriating to me.

/rant.

Babitz

Jan 18, 2010
I love snipers in games. The ligning gun in ut2k4 is my favorite weapon. I like hitscan based (FPS) games.
I loved the snipers in Hitman and in Deus Ex, they were ever so invaluable.

But anyway, I'm not a camper. I hate campers.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It's worth a try.

Balance isn't achieved by making powerful weapons hard to master, but by making all the weapons or roles balanced in the hands of masters.

Then there is the charm of personal combat, so the idea is worth exploring.

Raptorace18

Dec 3, 2009
Snipers are extremely useful in on-line games. They can provide long range suppressing fire and defend control points and flag bases.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No, I would like them nerfed in Team Fortress 2.

Snipers have no bullet delay, instant one hit kills at any range, no gun sway, their kurkri can kill a demo in one hit, their pistol is strong for close and mid range, or they can cause mini krits instead with Jarate OR they can stop one hit kills from spies by putting a shield on. They have low health but, no class has a chance to hit them at their range besides other snipers.

Compare that to any TF2 class and you see there's a problem

Soldiers have slow shots that are easy to dodge at long range and hurts you at close range, demos shots bounce around a lot- they have no mid range weapon.

Heavies have to spin up their guns and are incredibly slow.

Engines don't have a main strong gun (that they can't move and have to slowy build it up), no long range guns.

Spies can ONLY one hit kill from the back at close range and their best weapon (cloak) is easily defeated by natasha-flamethrower- water-people bumping into you.

Medics shots fire in an arch so can be stopped by a ceiling and their shots have quite the travel time.

Pyros have short range weapons, and their only long range weapon is very easy to see/ dodge, reflectable, ineffective if water is nearby.

Snipers have 2 one hit kill weapons at various ranges and you can light people on fire with a flaming arrow, no sway on their sniper shots on big head hitboxes, have a good close range weapon that can kill many classes in one hit, can cause minikrits on many members of a team, have a pistol for mid/short range. I guess their weaknesses would be, arrows can be reflected and they have low health and perhaps other snipers. To top it off, all characters have a jump "roof" so if they jump, it's still easy to hit their head-hitbox, and they limited peoples crouching abilities by capping it. If you ask me, that's kinda bullshit.

Sure, there's ways to kill snipers but they really do have a larger advantage over most classes which usually have some downside to a weapon.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Well, snipers are cool but if they gotta include them they should have them in large maps and not the corridor maps like in MW2-.- So no, removing the sniper from shooters would be like removing the wizzard from a rpg.

sammi43055

Feb 23, 2010
I love being a sniper. It can be challenging and fun. Games would be unbalances without them.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
lol- 70% of people said no! I really wish some major shooter would come out someday that would just flat out refuse to have it and make all these people cry. They contribute next to nothing to the multiplayer experience. They just sit/lay their character down, go into their scope, and play the hottest newest FPS game evar OMG!... they play it like a fucking flash game or like it's duck hunt.

If it was duck hunt, they'd be the people who put the gun right up to the screen.

Just for once, I'd like to see a company take a stand with this shit and not have it. Or at least give the option to run your server without them and not lose your ranked status. That would at least be a start to pissing these people off.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Hazmatdeath said:
It's just a different style of gameplay.
HORSE SHIT.

It's in every game now because devs/publishers know that if they make a multiplayer FPS game without accommodations for the FPS-handicapped- i.e.(snipers), people won't play. It's no longer a style. It's taken the fuck over.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
Snipers are an integral part of online shooters, and just like campers, they have their strengths and weaknesses: if you know where they are, you can get them, if you don't, they can get you. I relish the challenge, and I also enjoy sniping, so no--snipers are an essential part of FPSs