Poll: Would I Enjoy Mass Effect?

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Well I tried to play Mass Effect. First I had to dl all the upgrades to even get it to start, then I had to roll back my drivers to a earlier version because the stupid fucking game would not work with the new batch of nvidia drivers, then when I finally got it working when I talked to the first commander every time it froze and I had to hard reboot my system.
Mass Effect and Bioware can go fuck themselves.
What god forsaken system were you trying to run it on? Lard?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Baby Tea said:
Blasphemy! Bioware is the master of RPGs!
A pox on ye!
Like hell they are. Have you never in your life heard of Squaresoft? Bioware can go burn in a fire!
Oh you're one of those.

Yeah, I'm not in favour of JRPGs, finding western RPGS to be far more my cup of tea.
To each their own, I suppose.

Jul 9, 2008
L33tsauce_Marty said:
orannis62 said:
L33tsauce_Marty said:
orannis62 said:
I think so. Besides pace, what are you looking for?
Having to think to complete an objective.
Seems kind of contradictory, having fast paced combat while also thinking. I guess if any game's got it, it's Mass Effect.
Well who said you don't think while play games such as CSS? I mean its not Doom at any rate you have to use strategy.
Point taken, I didn't really think. And yes, you do have to think.
L33tsauce_Marty said:
Baby Tea said:
Mass effect has some pretty quick combat (Not COD4 quick, but quick), but it also has copious amounts of dialogue. All of it recorded, so you don't have to really 'read' if you're lazy, but there is plenty there.

Other then that, if that bothers you, then Mass Effect is an excellent game. I'm greatly looking forward to the 2nd.
I don't mind reading or watching cutscenes as long as it's involved with the plot and entertaining (I.E Jak 2&3)
I think you'll enjoy this, from the way this sounds.
Anonymouse said:
Baby Tea said:
A pox on ye!
Like hell they are. Have you never in your life heard of Squaresoft? Bioware can go burn in a fire!

Nifty said:
After looking up the numerous problems it turns out a lot of people have issues with that crappy game no matter how kick ass their systems are.
Okay, how can you call a game crappy if you never played it? True, that isn't so much your fault, but you make it sound as if the game itself is so bad that it crashed your system.

As for the Bioware Vs. Square thing, can we just agree that Bioware is good at WRPGs and Square is good at JRPGs?

GreyMorality

Jan 12, 2009
I thought it was a good game although I could only get one game out of it and Always do repeat plays.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
When theres action theres plenty of it, but somtimes your begging someone will pop up and take a pop at you.
And dont get me started on the elevators

DeleteMe1112311

Sep 18, 2008
No, you would not. if you need something fast paced, THIS IS NOT IT. they may have changed it since I played roughly 5 months after its release but when I played it all cutscenes AND DIALOG were unskippable and much of it is necessary to understand the game. This also kills the replay value and the game itself (as far as I know) is fairly short. So if for no other reason, the money is not worth the time spent playing it unless you enjoy listening to the same general dialog twice.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
I got ME when it launched on the 360, and still to this day pop it in atleast once a week and play through it..

One major thing about ME that in my opinion pumps up the replay is going through with a different class, and back story ( as each back story will unlock a quest unique to that history)

another thing is that each choice you make has a different effect, and re-doing it playing out various options can change the game " not in a massive way but still noticeable"

sometimes there are missions or side quests one can easily miss and SOME of them are balls to the wall insane if your looking for heavy combat, others are pretty cut and dry...

SETH GREEN IS YOUR PILOT that alone is worth it's weight in gold.

if you want a real challenge get to the point where you can play on insane mode

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
L33tsauce_Marty said:
I recently considered buying Mass Effect of steam. I've tried games such as Oblivion and I couldn't stand the slowness of it, Fallout 3 barely kept me going. I love to play fast paced FPS titles, so I want to know. Would I enjoy it? Or does it have to many RPG elements to bore me to tears?
It will bore you to tears. Many of the dialouge segments can feel over 20 mins in length if you really get into them. Plus the period between mission 1 and mission 2 is at least an hour if you take your time. Fallout 3 was more fast paced, and if that was slow, Mass Effect is like a slug.

Oh ya, enemies do not respawn. So once everyone is dead, you have to start a new game just to get more combat.

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Matronadena said:
if you want a real challenge get to the point where you can play on insane mode
That is more of a cheap difficulty then a challenging once since many if not most of the enmies have that damn immunity spell, then the fights turn into games of wait till it drops and shoot before recast.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Well I tried to play Mass Effect. First I had to dl all the upgrades to even get it to start, then I had to roll back my drivers to a earlier version because the stupid fucking game would not work with the new batch of nvidia drivers, then when I finally got it working when I talked to the first commander every time it froze and I had to hard reboot my system.
Mass Effect and Bioware can go fuck themselves.
I agree with the above. Mass Effect had serious problems with nvidia drivers and it took me around 80 reboots to finish the game.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Anonymouse said:
Baby Tea said:
A pox on ye!

Nifty said:
After looking up the numerous problems it turns out a lot of people have issues with that crappy game no matter how kick ass their systems are.
Oh right. I didn't have any problems, and I'm on Vista 64.

Of course though, this thread is totally arbitary. You won't know if you like the game or not until you actually go out and try it. Asking for a bunch of subjective opinions aren't really going to help your cause, L33tsauce_Marty.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
No you would not.
Mass effect is SO FUCKING SLOW.
It is literally like reading a book.
It took me 20 minutes to get to my first fight.
There is way too much dialogue.
Watch the Zero Punctuation review for more info.

Simriel

The Count of Monte Cristo
Dec 22, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
No you would not.
Mass effect is SO FUCKING SLOW.
It is literally like reading a book.
It took me 20 minutes to get to my first fight.
There is way too much dialogue.
Watch the Zero Punctuation review for more info.
20 minutes? the time before your first firefight is something like 6 minutes tops. that includes walking to it.
Mass Effect is a great game. I personally completed every sidequest i could get my hands on and still found it to be a well made game thats enjoyable enough for multiple playthrough.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Mass Effect is probably the most Shallow action RPG. It focuses a lot more on the action - utilizing cover, aiming shots. No micromanaging inventory, no ammo worries (ammo is unlimited), no attributes (skills and passive talents are the only RPG elements), only 4 different styles of weapon and not much in the way of theorycrafting about which one is better then any other one.

It's very story driven. It has a bunch of side missions (about 60 in all), but they're largely boring "drive here, shoot that" in nature (well, they're entirely that.).. the only one I'd suggest doing if you don't enjoy exploring strange worlds in an ATV is the one that takes you to the moon at level 20. I won't say why, but do it.

There's a lot of dialogue, but the voice acting is good, and almost all the dialogues include some action on the screen, and it's not so much like watching a movie like Metal Gear, you are actually playing the game. The world of the game feels fully realized, moreso then any other new IP game I've seen.

If all that sounds good, then get it, otherwise, find someone with the game and try it. Either way, play it.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
It's definitely more fast-paced than Bethesda titles; also, it has a much better and focused story. If you like grandiose, clever, and engaging in your plots, you will love this game.

Also, with Biotic powers you fling enemies into the sky until you can't see them. That is awesome, no two ways about it.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
To answer the OPs question and avoid the moronic "YES IT IS NO IT ISN'T" arguing about Bioware:

1. Dialogue is slow, but intentionally so. It's an RPG - that's typically how it works.
2. The missions that require running around on the planet in the little space minivan with a turret can be a drag if you want to find all the mineral deposits, tags and writings that sit in marked and unmarked drop pods on the surface.
3. The combat is pretty fast-paced, and often requires you give orders to your teammates for effective strategy. Using powers sometimes seems like a pain, but once you get used to it, it's easy.
4. The story is great, and the little switches in it here and there are great.
5. If you like tons of story and background info, the game has it in spades. Clicking on something that you can highlight not only gives you XP, but it usually unlocks a big file you can read in your encyclopedia thing.

And that's about all I can say about that.

Moofy

Mar 13, 2009
if having a ridiculous mustache and being a dick to aliens is fun, go right ahead. fallout 3 does a much better job at this however (replace aliens with shambling radioactive monstrosities).

also it begs to be said that this game is the same as any other bioware title. personally i'd pass on it.

mark_n_b

Mar 24, 2008
Be a dark Jedi, it gets rid of most of the talking (I say dark Jedi because Mass Effect is KOTOR V.6.0). If you don't like slow games though you will not feel the urge to explore the world Mass Effect builds, and as such you will miss most of what Mass Effect offers.

There are a lot of shooter elements in the game, but it doesn't sound like an investment for you.