Poll: Would the defeat of Piracy cause you to start purchasing games?

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Now I realize that I am not the sampling size for the population. I realize that what I do does not entail the norm for folks. So with those two pieces of information in mind let me posit a few questions for you folks.

I personally use piracy as a way to demo a game before I buy it. If the game is good I always buy it. If it is good but not as good as the price tag I wait for a bit till it is a reasonable price and I buy it. However in all cases any game I pirate that I like I now own.

In the past the way I pirated was through friends. They would buy basically any game that was released and I would play their copy. Again if I liked it I would buy it (occasionally from them). Some folks call this borrowing but the mechanics are the same. Someone bought the product and provided it to me free of charge. I realize in this case they can't play it at the same time but there is nothing saying that the people doing the digital version are either. I digress...

Before I had either of these options I nearly never bought games. I also have found that if a game does not have a proper demo and I can't pirate it that I don't even give it the light of day. However I will admit that now my 'friend with all the games' is Gamefly. So in the console world I am currently blasting through 5-6 games a month for 15 dollars which feels fantastic.

Alright I'm terrible at this but I'm getting there. My point to the wonderful folks of the escapist (and perhaps even the a-holes that roam about but mostly the wonderful folks) if you had no means of piracy would you purchase games that you are not certain the quality of? If you would purchase them would you purchase them at their full price or wait till they are bargain bin? Heck do you even think the Demo's you have experienced lately were accurate of the experience the game you demo'd actually provided?

This is mainly a PC question, I realize you can pirate for consoles (and I've done it before, again unnecessary now that gamefly exists for me) but I think this is a more important question for a realm of gaming that has no version of gamefly.

Also a bonus question: Do you think that Piracy will be defeated by brute force or by providing services like gamefly that outweigh the gamble of game purchasing?

My personal answer to these is that if I had no means for demoing games I'd stop buying them all together. I find that when there is a dry spell for video games I just read books or watch films. DnD is always a surefire hit and MTG is an alternative. Regardless I see nothing that makes games necessary (which I believe is the common misconception for CEO's of companies like activision), it isn't like water where if you couldn't get it in cheap you'd HAVE to deal with the high prices and sketchy quality.

I'm curious to see the results of the poll. My current theory is that defeating Piracy through DRM at least will result in negligible sales gains and plenty of bad PR. None of the games I own would have been purchased had I not pirated them first (at least on PC). Minus SPORE and that was the biggest shoppers guilt I've had (personally hated the game).

Flack

Brushie Brushie Brushie
Mar 14, 2008
I voted No.

I reckon that if piracy is defeated (which isnt very likely) I would just never get those games i was unsure about. There are certain kinds of games that are fun, but i wouldnt acctually pay for.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Flack said:
I voted No.

I reckon that if piracy is defeated (which isnt very likely) I would just never get those games i was unsure about. There are certain kinds of games that are fun, but i wouldnt acctually pay for.
Yeah that's sort of where I'm at in logic. I'm just trying to see if all these new extreme anti piracy methods that are being thought up will even do anything beyond fatten the wallet of the DRM makers.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
I rarely pirate games, and the only games that I do pirate are either hard/impossible to obtain otherwise, or games that I simply would not be willing to spend money on.

So no.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I don't pirate games, period. Mainly because I don't have a dual layer burner, but otherwise it's because I can get it used for about the price of some blank DVDs. 10-20 year old roms don't count. Obviously it's still piracy, but for the sake of this conversation, it's not affecting sales of games on the current market.

Music on the other hand, I have no problem downloading for a listen. If I like it, then I'll buy it. I have been burned way too many times buying CDs that were nothing but garbage from the first track to the last. If the band/artist is local and I hear about them enough from my friends, I'd probably buy a CD without a preview.

As far as piracy itself goes, it'll never die. People always want something for free. Usually though, it's the same group of people who pirate games, whereas the average person (like me) will buy it. Be it because of no technical know-how to pirate, or they have a job and aren't stingy.

Dimbo_Sama

Mar 20, 2009
No, because I only use Pirating at the moment because all the games I want to play are ones I never got the chance to growing up, or they're no longer made anymore and I want to play them again.

all the new games are one grey pile of homogenised goo. Give me Day of The Tenticale or Little Big Adventure over them any day of the week

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
paypuh said:
I don't pirate games, period. Mainly because I don't have a dual layer burner, but otherwise it's because I can get it used for about the price of some blank DVDs. 10-20 year old roms don't count. Obviously it's still piracy, but for the sake of this conversation, it's not affecting sales of games on the current market.

Music on the other hand, I have no problem downloading for a listen. If I like it, then I'll buy it. I have been burned way too many times buying CDs that were nothing but garbage from the first track to the last. If the band/artist is local and I hear about them enough from my friends, I'd probably buy a CD without a preview.

As far as piracy itself goes, it'll never die. People always want something for free. Usually though, it's the same group of people who pirate games, whereas the average person (like me) will buy it. Be it because of no technical know-how to pirate, or they have a job and aren't stingy.
Yeah I should have clarified. I don't consider finding old games (like Duck tales <3) as piracy.

I'm enjoying the level headed conversation here. Also interesting to see the pretty much unanimous response so far on the poll.

I'm sure by morning we'll have some yes's (it's night here) but this was what I expected so far.

I haven't had any friends who just pirated for the sake of getting crap for free (I suppose technically they were) all my friends have pretty large game collections like I do. Which is part of my skepticism to just how large the "we want it free period" crowd is.

Feels like another case of mean-world hypothesis error.

KarumaK

Sep 24, 2008
No, if pirating was ever utterly defeated... I'd grab a server and raise the flag.

I'd take up piracy and launch the largest campaign of copyright infringement since China started making anime.

Odd, because I don't pirate now.(<-Has a shitty PC)

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
I have only ever downloaded a game I already own on another sytem or would never actually buy, so publishers/developers arent missing out on anything, I'm just getting a little extra.

Xyphon

Jun 17, 2009
I never pirate current games like COD and the like. I only download N64, Sega, PS1 and Gameboy games. If piracy was defeated (which I doubt will ever happen) it wouldn't cause me not to buy games. If I need a "demo" before I purchase a game, there's always youtube for gameplay video's and reviews.

vampirekid.13

May 8, 2009
between me and some of my acquaintances we have enough programming knowledge to home-bake pirate stuff. so no, it would just make me put effort into it.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I just wouldn't get games, seeing as I'm dead broke and will be for a long while.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Xyphon said:
I never pirate current games like COD and the like. I only download N64, Sega, PS1 and Gameboy games. If piracy was defeated (which I doubt will ever happen) it wouldn't cause me not to buy games. If I need a "demo" before I purchase a game, there's always youtube for gameplay video's and reviews.
Yeah that was why I asked about the demo question. SPORE was a game that looked fantastic in videos and the creature creator was pretty intriguing. But it ended up being like a video game version of Nixon for me. Completely broke my jaded feelings of how Video Games are always great (I had pretty good experiences for too long and got cocky and just bought it without my previously mentioned tactics).

McNinja said:
I just wouldn't get games, seeing as I'm dead broke and will be for a long while.
30k In Debt here because I dared to go to college in America ;).

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Well I find great joy in pirating single player (non-online) games for my PC so if piracy was defeated, I'd be pissed.
However, as I am predominantly a console game player, I buy my games.
So ultimately, if Piracy was defeated it would not affect me all that much... although my computer would get complete neglect instead of just partial.

Housebroken Lunatic

Sep 12, 2009
Nope. I'd just kickstart piracy again.

But I rarely play pirated games these days. My computer is like 5-6 years old so I can't play most new PC games anyway. and I really don't want to bother getting BluRay burner in order to play pirated games on my PS3.

Plus I like having "real" games in my game collection and not just a bunch of burned discs. Also, im quite the sucker for collectors editions and such, you can't really "copy" that stuff...

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
I only download really old ROMS, some which I own the carts for anyway. It wouldn't dent my purchases of modern games if piracy somehow were wiped out.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
I'd dl it to see if it's worth buying (like i did with scribblenauts) and if i love it i'm buying it(like i did with scriblenauts). but some times it's hard to get the game, or it's to much to buy (like tetris DS is 35 bucks at game stop used WTF) or old games you can't find cause they are out of print. And it would hurt for me beacuse i like to try before i buy(and i refure to give blockbuster my debit card info just to rent a 360 game)

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Arehexes said:
I'd dl it to see if it's worth buying (like i did with scribblenauts) and if i love it i'm buying it(like i did with scriblenauts). but some times it's hard to get the game, or it's to much to buy (like tetris DS is 35 bucks at game stop used WTF) or old games you can't find cause they are out of print. And it would hurt for me beacuse i like to try before i buy(and i refure to give blockbuster my debit card info just to rent a 360 game)
Not to tug on their nuts too much in this thread (already feels like a gamefly infomercial a little in my OT) but you should really try them. 15 bucks a month for 1 game at a time or 22 for 2. I find that I can burn through a full 60 dollar game in two days tops and with two games I'm always playing something when I'm not working, reading, or writing.

Way better than paying full price for Infamous and then slitting my wrists with the disc after I realize that I just paid full price for Infamous. (Sorry...I really think that game was sub par...just a personal opinion. Save that rant for another day.)

You figure even if people sold their games for just 2 dollars. I every person who owns a Wii bought a Wii title that was 2 dollars in the US that company would make 106,536,794. I'm hard pressed to believe that any company has released a title where 106 million dollars wouldn't be some pretty solid profits.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Judging by the poll, games are very price elastic! Can't say I'm surprised.