Poll: Would you abort a pregnancy if the child would have Down Syndrome?

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
EcoEclipse said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Wait a second... how can you not be born with something that's caused by a chromosonal disorder?
He had surgery as an infant and an intern nurse screwed up his medication, which triggered a seizure, which triggered the Down's. I think it's possible for it to be latent, right? Maybe his condition was amplified by that, I'm not entirely sure; it's been a while since I actually heard the story.
Down's Syndrome itself can't be latent.

However, it's quite possible that any mental/intellectual deficiencies (retardation) your brother has were caused or exascerbated by the seizure, which may have caused brain damage, rather than Down's Syndrome.

Down's Syndrome itself isn't a type of mental/intellectual deficiency but most people with Down's Syndrome do have some form of mental/intellectual deficiency because of the nature of the disorder. The number and severety of the deficiencies varies widely so, who knows?

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
tehroc said:
This thread makes me lose respect for the escapist audience and I'm pro-its-her-choice. Sounds like eugenics too me, which many of these posters wouldn't even qualify for birth.
I agree that the main crux of "They're deficient, so let's kill them" is bullshit. Simple ignorance on the part of strangers on the internet. Life's pretty much meaningless for everyone, not just the disabled. :) Those eugenics fools are kidding themselves.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
I'm tearing up here at the all the posts about those with disabilities not being "real" people or incapable of emotions. I have an extremely disabled sister a year older than I am, and a very large part of my childhood was spent helping to take care of her. Her happiness is worth all the difficulties, and denying someone a shot at that "for their own good" makes me sick inside.

I'm pro-choice. If people think they can't handle the responsibility, fine. Their kid, their house, whatever. Still, the sheer amount of people voting yes really says something for what people truly think of someone like my sister. Hell, my brother volunteered to work with children with Down's Syndrome when he was less than ten.

Personally, I voted no. I would do everything I could for their happiness. I live by the mantra to live in love and service, and I'm sticking to that.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
ghostalker.cepo said:
Absolutely. Down's syndrome is a detrimental genetic mutation to the species, and were we to live in a world where we had natural predators, natural selection would see to it that they wouldn't reproduce.
Wow, Edgy McEdgerton in the house.

You do know, don't you, that people with Down's Syndrome have very low fertility rates, don't you? Females with Down's not only have low fertility but they have many problems carrying a pregnancy full term, especially if the fetus falls within the 50% chance of inheriting DS where there is a very high incidence of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). In males with Down's Syndrome fertility is so low that only 3 have been recorded as having fathered children.

Apart from women with Down's Syndrome, despite low fertility and high rates of spontaneous abortion for fetuses with Down Syndrome (which are only roughly 50% of the fetuses anyway), hatching their own spawn the only other hereditary form of Down's Syndrome is the extremely rare Translocation type.

So, from a species wide view, it's a very self-correcting genetic disorder.

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
Nope not at all. I'm not against abortion seeing how I'm pro-choice. But I'm if my kid is going to be special (not the special-special your thinking of) then let them be special. I'd actually be happy and proud of having a down kid. Then no one would be able to call him normal. It sounds weird, yes. But I'm against that word entirely. No one is normal. It's just a pathetic standard and the word should be ripped out of the dictionary and I would make sure my kid would understand that even if he couldn't. Plus I'm working with them in my high-school for my gym class. Why would I say "yes" to something like that if I'm going to be working with them? Just for the credit? No. I'm a sophomore not a senior who just needs credit to get by. I work well with kids and sometimes teens. I would make no sense what so ever!

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
I'm pro-choice and think that _some_ genetic disorders are justification for abortion. The really awful ones where a child lives a few years in pain and under constant medical attention. Down's Syndrome? Not even close to a good enough reason. Folks with Down's can live happy lives, loving and being loved. They, with a bit of help can even be productive members of society.

Sorry to fall into the obvious Godwin's Law here, but Hitler was all about this kind of behavior. We all have things that are wrong with us genetically (asthma & allergies over here, but I'll still beat you in a foot race). Seriously, look yourself in the mirror and tell me how much more right to exist you have than somebody who'll never have a job at higher than minimum wage, but smiles a lot and never invades Iraq.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well, seeing how I am against abortion when the child is that late in the pregnancy, I would have to say no.

I would have to man up and take responsibility. And it would be tough.

I honestly don't know what else to say

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
ghostalker.cepo said:
Absolutely. Down's syndrome is a detrimental genetic mutation to the species, and were we to live in a world where we had natural predators, natural selection would see to it that they wouldn't reproduce.
Wow, Edgy McEdgerton in the house.

You do know, don't you, that people with Down's Syndrome have very low fertility rates, don't you? Females with Down's not only have low fertility but they have many problems carrying a pregnancy full term, especially if the fetus falls within the 50% chance of inheriting DS where there is a very high incidence of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). In males with Down's Syndrome fertility is so low that only 3 have been recorded as having fathered children.

Apart from women with Down's Syndrome, despite low fertility and high rates of spontaneous abortion for fetuses with Down Syndrome (which are only roughly 50% of the fetuses anyway), hatching their own spawn the only other hereditary form of Down's Syndrome is the extremely rare Translocation type.

So, from a species wide view, it's a very self-correcting genetic disorder.
I did in fact know that they had low fertility rates, although you have educated me as to exactly HOW low. However you conveniently cut out the the next part where I expand that to all genetic disabilities, not just that of Down's Syndrome. DS may be self correcting, and for the mistake, I'm sorry, but as I said, I expanded my argument to encompass all genetic defects, and I really should have said that in a world where we had natural predators, they would be among the first to be dragged off by the lions.

And by genetic defects I mean serious, life affecting ones. Children born with serious congenital defects wouldn't have survived in prehistoric times

Interestingly enough, THAT was the only part of my argument you chose to pick holes in...

Also, I'm trying to quit smoking, so yes, right now I am Edgy McEdgerton heh.

Mr.Geoson

Apr 1, 2010
In all honesty, I put yes. The reason being as that I get very sad watching people that have these types of problems and would effect me too much. I would also worry about it effecting my relationship with my girlfriend/spouse. I do have to agree that it is a very hard choice to make, and that if I was put in the heat of the moment I would be at loss at what to do. It probable also wouldn't go well with the possibility of other things to be stacked on top of that because of my genes. *ADHD, Autism* I mean, I still don't even know for sure if that's what I have or not. I think the real question is, can you and the rest of your family work with it? Depending on the money, stress and a lot of other factors. I believe that most families probable couldn't deal with it very well, and that's why so many people answered "yes". I think this question is one of those, "both are right and wrong at the same time", unless you factor in certain things. *Alright I've summed this up as best as I could, I'm gonna go to sleep now.*

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
if we found out early like the 2nd week of pregnancy and it would cause the child seriouse problems that would make life a liveing hell thien yes. but if the child could lead a normal life. or if it was the 3 month mark, or a combo of both thien no.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
ghostalker.cepo said:
However you conveniently cut out the the next part
Of course I did. Why would I address points that don't allow me to pontificate? Where's the fun in that?

Children born with serious congenital defects wouldn't have survived in prehistoric times
Just don't start on a 'modern medicine is anti-evolutionary' trip...

Nobody likes a quitter. :p

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
No. I'm pro choice, and I respect anyone else's decision on the matter, but I would not abort my child if (s)he had down syndrome.

Why? For two reasons. One, I would love my child no matter what (s)he is going through, and I would make any sacrifice for him/her rather than just "put them out of their misery." And two, we, as humans, need to improve the treatment of the mentally challenged. We need to learn to help them have a better life and help them get accepted into society rather than just, again, "putting them out of their misery." That is a gap that we need to fill and I'm shocked that so many people would just avoid the challenge of doing so.

Snack Cake

Jun 9, 2009
Rocket Dog said:
Yes.

I honestly would not want my family's heritage to be... "corrupted" by having Down Syndrome thrown in there somewhere. It sounds bad, yes, but that is my wish.
Your mom never seems to mind having your "family heritage" corrupted.

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
ghostalker.cepo said:
However you conveniently cut out the the next part
Of course I did. Why would I address points that don't allow me to pontificate? Where's the fun in that?
Fair enough :p

Children born with serious congenital defects wouldn't have survived in prehistoric times
Just don't start on a 'modern medicine is anti-evolutionary' trip...
It's something I happen to believe, athough I won't start, I think I've already stated my view.

Nobody likes a quitter. :p
Right-o *grabs coat and heads to the shop*

girls for pandora

Aug 16, 2009
I voted yes, why? Because my family owns a group home where we care for mentally disabled adults. I've seen Downs people come and out of our care. But I always wondered why we could only care for them for so long before we weren't able to.

The truth of it is --- fifty years they're still very mobile and high functioning. But the truth is once they get older it's a sad sight. Without giving to much out about clients, when i started working for my family we had someone who was the highest function Downs Syndrome patient anyone had ever seen, she could do 90% of her tasks by herself. Which was amazing, but about two years ago she has begun to decline. She doesn't recognize her family members [who are big parts of her life still!] She can no longer get up from a chair or into bed without assistance. She can no longer wipe her bottom or bathe herself. But because of the dementia she is scared and fights with staff, injuring us. Myself included. She also has forgotten how to take medications as well. My mother tells me this is only the tip of the iceberg, soon she will forget how to walk, talk or drink. When that time comes, when we are no longer able to care for her, she will go to a nursing home --- where she'll spend the rest of her days. Normally that's about three months. She is only in her late sixties.

I think I'd be a bad parent if I allowed my child to be born. And I'll look at it this way as well, pregnancy is a risk to myself. And maybe I have another children too, since it does tend to effect older mothers. I can not to that to my other children.

I've seen how their lives end, and I would not want my child to live that way.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
No question, yes. Simply put, Down's isn't fair.

It isn't fair to force somebody to live an incomplete life, never able to properly come into their own as a human being. Harsh, perhaps a bit crass, but there you have it.

Likewise it isn't fair to force the parents into a situation where they are to remain parents in perpetuity. At no point will your child grow up and blossom into adulthood, instead leaving all parties concerned in a limbo for the rest of their lives.

If there is a situation where such blatant biological unfairness is avoidable, I say by all means avoid it. Sometimes mercy isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it is to be avoided.

Emilin_Rose

Aug 8, 2009
Yes. there are a lot of diseases that i'd get an abortion over. A child with down syndrome has to deal with being teased by other kids, not learning as fast as their siblings/cousins/whatnot, and being coddled by their teachers and looked down upon by the other students, either out of pity or out of genuine hatred of stupid people, which is more common than it seems. This of course, brings up the eugenics issue of certain diseases that should be "bred out" of the gene pool, like one does with animals. While i'm against eugenics for shallow things like race, gender, etc, there are things that should be bred out, like down syndrome and Huntington's disease, Marfan syndrome, Neurofibromatosis type I, and Rett syndrome. These diseases make life miserable most of all not for the parents raising it or the siblings or classmates, but for the child itself. Most people who are against abortion seem to forget that there are a lot of horrible diseases running in a lot of genes spread through a lot of people, and that giving life to these people is less an act of mercy, and more an act of disassociated sadism, forcing the child to be born in pain and suffering that will never go away or lessen through the (often cut short at around 50 at most for the luckiest)entirety of their lives.