Poll: Would you abort a pregnancy if the child would have Down Syndrome?

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
No because I'm not too lazy or irresponsible to be unable to handle it. Good thing most of the people here will never be parents.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
It depends, really.

First up it would depend on what type of Down's Syndrome it was (there are 3 basic types) and the implications specific to the type.

Actually, strike that. First up would be if my partner and I felt able to deal with a child, full bloody stop.

After knowing the type of Down's Syndrome and it's implications, I'd have a very, very long chat with my Ma, who worked many years as a mental deficiency nurse and then as a developmental educator about whatg it all really means and what the outlooks and prospects were.

Without all that information a definite answer is impossible.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
My aunt has Down Syndrome.

No, there are very few situations where I would consider abortion, and this is most definitely NOT one of them.

Dusk17

Jul 30, 2010
Yes I would abort it. Also why stop there, lets "abort" everyone we do not like or is slightly different.

pigmypython

Jan 15, 2010
Yes; at ten weeks the fetus is not that developed and not a person yet (I am not religious). This would save so much burden to the family and on the future person. So I say get rid of it and try again.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Dusk17 said:
RhombusHatesYou said:
Dusk17 said:
Yes I would abort it. Also why stop there, lets "abort" everyone we do not like or is slightly different.
Eugenics never really goes out of fashion.
That was sarcasm.
Yes, strangely enough I knew that. However, you seem to have failed to pick up on my sarcasm.

Heeman89

Jul 20, 2009
I'm personally against abortion, so no, that child would live and I would love it no differently then I would a normal baby.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
RhombusHatesYou said:
EcoEclipse said:
My older brother has Down's Syndrome (though he wasn't born with it).
Wait a second... how can you not be born with something that's caused by a chromosonal disorder?
He had surgery as an infant and an intern nurse screwed up his medication, which triggered a seizure, which triggered the Down's. I think it's possible for it to be latent, right? Maybe his condition was amplified by that, I'm not entirely sure; it's been a while since I actually heard the story.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
It's a touchy subject, but I would say yes. I voted "Depends", though, since the decision relies on the mother and father consenting. I would rather not have a child suffer or be a burden socially and financially.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
This thread makes me lose respect for the escapist audience and I'm pro-its-her-choice. Sounds like eugenics too me, which many of these posters wouldn't even qualify for birth.

Boober the Pig

Sep 8, 2008
I have a child with Downs. I made this decision nine years ago. He is happy and makes my life harder but more interesting. He is not now, nor will he ever be, of normal intelligence. After reading through this I prefer him to most of of the posters on this forum.

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
Absolutely. Down's syndrome is a detrimental genetic mutation to the species, and were we to live in a world where we had natural predators, natural selection would see to it that they wouldn't reproduce. I have the same idea about any genetically disabled child.

I realise that they are people too, but it is generally accepted that a fetus becomes a person at 21-24 weeks after conception, and abortion is illegal after that, so at the time of abortion they're not even a person, they're a genetically defective proto-person. If you were on a production line, and something defective came along, you'd remove it wouldn't you? Aborting them before they are a person, and have to suffer through life with such a handicap is a kindness.

Hence why I'm not saying drown them at birth, or round up all the people in the world with down's syndrome, cerebal palsy, or one of many other genetic disabilities and shooting them down, THAT would be horrific.

Obviously the ideal would be to use genetic engineering to eliminate these detrimental genetic defects while the child is gestating, but we're a long way from that.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
It was a difficult decision, but no. Who are we to decide where life begins and ends? If it was only Down Syndrome, no, I wouldn't have the fetus aborted. The quality of life depends on how willing and ready the parents are to accept a child into their lives. That means preparing for that possibility. You don't expect it or even actually plan for it, but you must be willing to accept it. It's not my place to judge, nor do I actually know for certain what my decision would be unless I faced it in person, however, in hypothesis I would like to think I have the mercy and compassion, as well as the perseverance to not abort my child.

MrHero17

Jul 11, 2008
tehroc said:
This thread makes me lose respect for the escapist audience and I'm pro-its-her-choice. Sounds like eugenics too me, which many of these posters wouldn't even qualify for birth.
Is it still eugenics when your making choices about your own family and not forcing them on other people at all? Most of the people here aren't asking for some sort of federal standard on fetuses to be made.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
I'm not giving my answer here, but let me just say: It's fascinating to me the overwhelming number of people who said yes. Wish we could get a demographic breakdown of all those responding (like age, gender, whether or not those responding have kids, etc). Of course it's obvious why that's not on this site, but still a pity.