Poll: Would you be ok with the Games Industry Crashing and not having AAA titles for 5-10 Years?

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
boag said:
thelonewolf266 said:
boag said:
thelonewolf266 said:
Snip
Snip
Snip
I honestly don't see how I'm spitting in your face.If that's how it came across I'm sorry that wasn't how it was intended.I believe I answered your question by pointing out a couple of things that would be affected by the gaming industry crashing because I can't just type a list of hundreds of different effects.I chose the Sony example because it is like Microsoft a massive company they aren't just games companies but also produce other goods if their gaming divisions collapse their other services will suffer too.In fact I think that is happening to Sony now because the PS3 cost so much to produce and they had to lower prices to compete with the other brands.And no I'm not suggesting that either of them would go out of business if they had to shut down the gaming side of their company but it would hurt them and that in turn hurts the economy.

Liam Starrs

Dec 26, 2011
System is broken and corrupt, weak at its foundation. It should be torn down and rebuilt by people with a passion for the art of game making instead of suits in offices only interested in profit margins. The games industry has half sold its soul and only a revolution can fix it

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
It probably wouldn't effect me too much. The last AAA game I bought was Skyrim and my gaming has been revolving around that, Jagged Alliance 2 and Katawa Shoujo. But then job losses always suck so a resounding Eehhh I'unno? From me.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Yes. Let it crash, burn, die, be desecrated, its skull used as a toilet and buried in a shallow grave near a "flood warning" sign, so that it gets washed away to be picked at by undersea scavengers at the bottom of the ocean.

Most companies see games as a cash flow. Even bad games as a cash flow. Remember when innovation was NEEDED for a game to be considered good? Im not saying i dont love ToR or Kingdoms of Amalor.

Im just saying, if it crashes, companies will HAVE to put out products of lower budget. But then ((here comes the good part)), they'll have to make up for it in other ways. Games wont be as pretty, but then again, i think late PS2 graphics looked amazing to begin with. FF10 was an amazing looking game. ((even if i you didnt care for it, dont deny its beauty.))
Id be more then fine with graphics in gaming taking a hit if it ment all games were as solid as they used to be.

Take Crysis 2 for example. I will say this, it was the best looking game ive ever played. But i hated it. It felt like a battlefield game, with every gimmick you can imagine spliced into it. I can see how it would be fun, but to me, it felt like all innovation it was making, was horizontal. It didnt push FPS gaming forward in anyway. It was Alien vs Predator, but with a higher budget.

A crash in the game market would mean companies would be forced to say, "Will this game be so good, people HAVE to buy it? Can i slap a 40-60$ price tag on it, and NO ONE will complain?"

I think in the long run, it would be for the good of gaming as a whole.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lemme just think about the current AAA games coming up...

Oh, I can't seem to think of any.
Ahhh... Kingdoms of Amalor just hit the shelves, a new UFC game, Mass Effect 3, XCOM, Street Fighter vs Tekken, Silent Hill: Downpour, and if my last check was correct, Dragons Dogma.

Theres a small list :) hope that helps.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
No there is no need for a crash the smaller niche titles exist you just have to look for them rahter than just seeing it advertised like a AAA title is so if anyone says innovation in the industry is dead there are looking hard enough.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Um, no. No, not at all. And to be honest, I think a lot of the people here who say yes probably wouldn't be okay with going five years with no AAA titles.

Sorry, but I'd only welcome that option when there was absolutely no alternative and the market was literally just shitty copies and rehashes and had nothing original. Which it isn't, by the way. 2011 saw a lot of quality AAA titles come out - Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, Driver: San Francisco, Arkham City, et cetera. Thing is, there were great indie releases too on the XBLA and PSN - Journey, Bastion, Trenched(Iron Brigade), From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and so on. That's a pretty good balance if you ask me.
Perhaps more importantly, already in 2012 we've seen the release of a liable contender for the hypothetical GOTY award that would actually mean something if there was a respectable games show that wasn't Spike VGAs. And it's a brand new IP - I'm talking about Kingdoms of Amalur, a fairly original new expansive RPG granting over a hundred hours gameplay, and it's not part of a franchise. I think games like this demonstrate how original stuff can still come out and be successful.

I just think there's way too much promising stuff out right now and a crash would almost certainly cost more than it would eventually give in a few years time when everything's recovered.

dills2

Aug 18, 2010
i want a crash as games are being released to fast for me to keep up. I want unique games ill use sonic adventure 2 for my point.
The original sonic adventure was going around an over world for action stages sonic adventure 2 changed that it still had the action stages fans wanted but had stages in a mech and stages looking for pieces of emerald. This is the kind of moderate change game sequels need nowadays.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
The game industry isn't anywhere near failing at this point. Sure there are a lot of bland uninteresting games as it is now, but there are still games out there that are worth playing. Also I would not want to go 5-10 years without games. The funny thing here is that you seem to think that Call of Duty being the same game with a slight improvement in graphics, new maps and a new 5 hour campaign coming every year is going to doom the game industry. This is far from the truth since Call of Duty is the best selling series you'll find. Skyrim has sold well, but The Elder Scrolls is a massive series that require thought and long development time before release.

Dec 14, 2009
It's funny you should say that.

Remember the last video game crash?

Remember who pretty much single handedly saved it?

That's right. Nintendo.

You remember those guys right? The people who pretty much churn out the same games over and over again (not that they're bad for that, some things just work better on a formula).

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
kouriichi said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lemme just think about the current AAA games coming up...

Oh, I can't seem to think of any.
Ahhh... Kingdoms of Amalor just hit the shelves, a new UFC game, Mass Effect 3, XCOM, Street Fighter vs Tekken, Silent Hill: Downpour, and if my last check was correct, Dragons Dogma.

Theres a small list :) hope that helps.
I thought someone would say this, I should've been more clear in my original post. What I meant to say was there are no AAA games coming up that I care about.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
It would be an opportunity for the industry to reinvent itself. Would be nice if it started a streak of radical innovation, instead of continuing its incremental polishing of existing concepts.

Seriously, this "mass-appeal/ streamlining/ multi-player/ predominantly shooter" generation has lasted long enough.

Aug 1, 2010
Absolutely not, as I have spent the last 4 years of my life, and will spend quite a few more, preparing myself to work in the industry.

A crash would be very bad.

sketch_zeppelin

Jan 22, 2010
The Games industry has become a bunch of greedy bastards. Between their attempts at murdering the used games market, activation codes, first day DLC, online passes, and their backing SOPA, I hope they burn.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Liam Starrs said:
System is broken and corrupt, weak at its foundation. It should be torn down and rebuilt by people with a passion for the art of game making instead of suits in offices only interested in profit margins. The games industry has half sold its soul and only a revolution can fix it
So one of the industries making the most money is weak and broken? People only care about money?

You think it's wrong that the people working in it are concerned about making money. Well are you concerned about making money? Would you be willing to work for the bare minimum of life expences? If you say yes I know you are lying because you have a computer and you use it for something that isn't work related. You are granting yourself luxury rather than forsake earthly possessions while complaining how others care about them. You basically said that you want to see thousands of people lose their job just to make the world more passionate.
Clearly a selfish desire.

If you can name one industry that doesn't concern itself with money I will be impressed. Every artist wants to live off their craft. Every artist wants to have steady meals. Only the best get wealthy and even those who become wealthy can be passionate.

You think that an industry that has failed in the past will rebuild and care less about money? Now that is just stupidity. As it is now the industry got the money it needs to take risks. If the industry fails and rebuild they will try to find a pattern they can follow to avoid risks of losing their investment money. An industry on its brink of failing wont take risks. If you believe it does then you clearly don't know the first thing about management or economy.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I don't want people to lose jobs and all but I would love a break from new stuff so that I can catch up on my backlog.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Yopaz said:
Liam Starrs said:
So one of the industries making the most money is weak and broken? People only care about money?

You think it's wrong that the people working in it are concerned about making money. Well are you concerned about making money? Would you be willing to work for the bare minimum of life expences? If you say yes I know you are lying because you have a computer and you use it for something that isn't work related. You are granting yourself luxury rather than forsake earthly possessions while complaining how others care about them. You basically said that you want to see thousands of people lose their job just to make the world more passionate.
Clearly a selfish desire.

If you can name one industry that doesn't concern itself with money I will be impressed. Every artist wants to live off their craft. Every artist wants to have steady meals. Only the best get wealthy and even those who become wealthy can be passionate.

You think that an industry that has failed in the past will rebuild and care less about money? Now that is just stupidity. As it is now the industry got the money it needs to take risks. If the industry fails and rebuild they will try to find a pattern they can follow to avoid risks of losing their investment money. An industry on its brink of failing wont take risks. If you believe it does then you clearly don't know the first thing about management or economy.
Being concerned with money is one thing but being overly greedy is another. This industry wants to sacrifice consumer rights for more money and I don't think I am alone in calling that overly greedy.

You go on pretending that there are only 2 sides though (no money/money).