Poll: Would you become a Ghoul (fallout)

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
But...weren't the Ghouls mostly caused by the radiation and heat that came off of the bombs that were dropped in those areas. Radiation alone wouldn't turn you into a conventional ghoul now would it? You'd just be a guy with a shit ton of tumors.
Well, there are some people in the games that are implyied to have become Ghouls AFTER the bombs fell, but it is rare. The amount of radiation we are talking about to turn you into a walking corpse yet somehow keep you alive is INSANELY high, to the point few areas would exist in the wasteland, especially since it has been 200 years since the bombs fell and much of the radiation has disapated.. But even then, there is no way to tell weather you will become a ghoul or just drop dead from the radiation. There is actually a character you find dead in NV that had in her jornal that she was trying to become a ghoul.

I just said that you KNOW you are just for the point of the question.

Edible Avatar

Oct 26, 2011
I'd do it......

Then inject myself with deathclaw DNA and get enhanced genetic implants. BOOM. WINNING.

soon, grandma Palmer, very soon, i will get my back sweetroll.....and REVENGE

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
Vault101 said:
usmarine4160 said:
Vault101 said:
usmarine4160 said:
Vault101 said:
so suicide or goulification?

I guess I could stick it out as a living corpse for a while...and if that gets too much just go feral and go nuts! probably wont even feel the pain
All ghouls eventually turn feral. Makes life simpler :)
huh..really?

thats kind of sad....like (what is it?) alzeimers or Dimentia..where you slowly feel your mind degrading
They said it in Fallout 3, something about the radiation causing the ghoulification slowly eating away the brain.

And I think you're thinking of Alzheimer's, which is a form of dementia ;)
huh I figured going feral came from just "going crazy" and being unable to deal with being a ghoul...I mean its no surprise being a corpse you mind might get affected

EDIT: well whatever it is Its sad, I watch a documetry where normal smart people (like this guy being an ex barrister) have to deal with their mind "going" they know its going and theres nothing they can do..its even ahrder on the loved ones
Good news on the Alzheimer's front, a drug that is used to treat cancer is showing fantastic promise as a cure for Alzheimers. So far they have only tested it in rats, but it is having a very high success rate. That is, it is reversing Alzheimers nearly completely.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120209144005.htm

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
usmarine4160 said:
Vault101 said:
so suicide or goulification?

I guess I could stick it out as a living corpse for a while...and if that gets too much just go feral and go nuts! probably wont even feel the pain
All ghouls eventually turn feral. Makes life simpler :)
I don't think that's actually true considering it was said by someone who not only hates ghouls but is also a Fallout 3 character.

Plus there's Raul who is over two centuries old and shows no signs of going feral.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Vault101 said:
huh..really?

thats kind of sad....like (what is it?) alzeimers or Dimentia..where you slowly feel your mind degrading
I found the irony!

Also, you can't use bb code on names that are being quoted. Did not know that.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Ghoulification, Rads will heal you and ferals and mutants won't bother you meaning you can go a lot of places smoothskins can't and it will probably make living in the wastes a lot safer.

WE GONNA BE RICH SCAVENGERS!

celebrate good times COME ON!.

I think I would miss having a nose though, sneezing must be messy.

edit: Oh and not only will radioactive water be good for you but you will be able to sell all that rad ex and radaway.

The more I think about it, the more it sounds like ghoulification is kind of the ultimate Fallout perk xD

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Missing a nose would probably cut down drastically on the need to sneeze :p

But yes, ghoulification all the way. I imagine it must be a huge strain emotionally as well though when you look in the mirror and see yourself degrading in such a way but its just one more horror in the wasteland!

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Fasckira said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Missing a nose would probably cut down drastically on the need to sneeze :p

But yes, ghoulification all the way. I imagine it must be a huge strain emotionally as well though when you look in the mirror and see yourself degrading in such a way but its just one more horror in the wasteland!
Yeah plus there's the fact that everyone looks like crap in the wastelands anyway there's a distinct lack of hygiene products. xD

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
That's not exactly how ghouls work. If you want the full stroy check nukapedia but in brief: Ghouls (according to Fallout 1 canon) are made by large exposure to radiation. There is an uknown genetic element that determines whether high doses of radiation will simply kill you or turn you into a ghoul. No one knows any way to figure out if you will become one or not.

There are two ghouls that I can think of that I KNOW work differently. Harlold, who it's implied was turned into whatever he is by FEV when he visited the maripova millitary base and Moira Brown who was 50 feet away from a nuke when it went off.

Fuck you Bethesda. I don't resent you for trying to keep Moira alive this way (better than plot armour) but she should have been so many specks of radioactive ash after that. Come on.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Reet72 said:
Fuck you Bethesda. I don't resent you for trying to keep Moira alive this way (better than plot armour) but she should have been so many specks of radioactive ash after that. Come on.
eh...its fallout, I think scientific acurcy goes out the window more or less

anyway Its Moira she probably survived due to posative thinking

PatrickXD

Aug 13, 2009
Ghoulification is worth a shot. If it really is just the worst possible thing, i would still have plenty of time to off myself before I go feral.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
As opposed to death? Yeah, ghoulification is a preferable option... but the decision isn't really yours to make at that point. Even in the Fallout universe, most people just die when that happens to 'em. Ghoulification requires a pretty good sized shot of FEV and a healthy dose of luck.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
I wonder, can ghouls even have sex? or might their skin peal off or somethi- OH GOD, THE MENTAL IMAGE! ITS STUCK IN MY HEAD! OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, ITS BURNED INTO MY MIND! OH DEAR LORD *grabs the pistol and shoots self*

Jimbo Slice

Jan 25, 2012
Yes. Imagine all the irradiated places full of goodies just waiting to get plucked.. I can hear the caps already! Then, there's my super mutant homies... talk about some sweet body guards!

(I'll do all the thinking...)
(...and talking...)
(...maybe we'll skip the guards.)

Anyways, digging bullets out of my flesh wouldn't be a high priority anymore. And if shit really hits the fan I can just roll around in some glowing puddle.

Oh my, then there's all the augmentations available... perhaps a ripper for my left hand. Or sentry bot legs. (the ones with wheels.) Or maybe the good ole terminator set up. (because red eye are win.)

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
BOOM headshot65 said:
maddawg IAJI said:
But...weren't the Ghouls mostly caused by the radiation and heat that came off of the bombs that were dropped in those areas. Radiation alone wouldn't turn you into a conventional ghoul now would it? You'd just be a guy with a shit ton of tumors.
Well, there are some people in the games that are implyied to have become Ghouls AFTER the bombs fell, but it is rare. The amount of radiation we are talking about to turn you into a walking corpse yet somehow keep you alive is INSANELY high, to the point few areas would exist in the wasteland, especially since it has been 200 years since the bombs fell and much of the radiation has disapated.. But even then, there is no way to tell weather you will become a ghoul or just drop dead from the radiation. There is actually a character you find dead in NV that had in her jornal that she was trying to become a ghoul.

I just said that you KNOW you are just for the point of the question.
I'm pretty sure in FO3 there was some weird "church" (not the one in nuketown) they would steal the water going to nuketown and radiate it. They had a special bathtub with a mechanism that would radiate you really fast. They had a bunch of feral ghouls they had created standing around in their church too.