Poll: Would you create a sequel upon success?

Church256

Jul 24, 2008
Story first so I'd only make a sequel if the game was designed to be in 2 or more parts.

UnearthedArcana

Jul 1, 2009
I wouldn't make a sequel just for the bloody sake of it, but the series would be as long as it needed to be. If it needed to be eight games long, it would be eight goddamn games. If it tied everything off in one go, that'd be it.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Okay, if I were in the business (first off, I would hope that I'd be working for or with Valve or Bioware), I would try to avoide making sequels just for more money. I would much rather go on to something new. But if there were a big enough fan base, and if I could work out a way to make a sequel that fit in with the original's story, then yeah, I would make a sequel. Improve on what went wrong in the first game. Introduce some new stuff if necessary. And so on.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
I'd like to think that I have enough integrity to not make a sequel unless the story called for, allowed, it.

Maybe if I were making a tweaked sequel as well. Like w/ the Street Fighter games.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Okay, if I were in the business (first off, I would hope that I'd be working for or with Valve or Bioware), I would try to avoide making sequels just for more money. I would much rather go on to something new. But if there were a big enough fan base, and if I could work out a way to make a sequel that fit in with the original's story, then yeah, I would make a sequel. Improve on what went wrong in the first game. Introduce some new stuff if necessary. And so on.
Nice choices. I wouldn't mind working for them either. :p And same, the only real pickle I have with sequels is that it lessens the amount of truly original ideas on the market.

oldMcDouche

Mar 30, 2009
i mean it' always very risky to create a brand new IP so if you can make extra profit with it and have a secure job for the next years and on top of that the story allows expansion, why not.

Aug 25, 2009
Learn from the masters, Kubrick and Scorsese never made sequals and their the best directors of all time IMO. I know we're talkin about video games but I still feel this is relevant.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I would probably make a prequel, or do the story from another character's perspective (which would be more like an expansion pack than a sequel). That was what I loved about Blue Shift and Opposing Force.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
If I have a good idea for a sequel I would, yes. They're usually inferior, but good one's exist (Half-Life 2, Sly 2, Nanoha A's, Terminator 2).

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
No. If my story concludes at the end of the first game having a sequel would just ruin it.

See also: Final Fantasy X-2

case and point.

Stevanchez

Apr 15, 2009
I would. You have to cash in while you can. I know it sound bad, but it's true.
There's no guarantee that you'll have success with anything else, so use it.
I don't see the point in creating a one hit wonder and then just walking away.
If you make a sequal and it too is a success, then you've done what few have.
If it fails you can still take pride in the fact that you made one great game and
now that you've "milked" your "cash cow" dry you can move on to something new.

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I would do one of three things;
1. Make a prequel detailing some important event that would eventually lead to the events of the original.
2. Make a game set during the events of the original, from the point of view of a completely different character(Like the Blue Shift and Opposing Force expansions to Half-Life).
3. Make a completely different game, with a story that is, for the most part, unrelated the the original, but set in the same universe.

Whatever I chose to do, I would try to add new gameplay elements, new characters, new settings, new puzzles, new weapons, and new goals, as well as having a mood that is distinct from the original.

YuheJi said:
I would probably make a prequel, or do the story from another character's perspective (which would be more like an expansion pack than a sequel). That was what I loved about Blue Shift and Opposing Force.
I had already gotten through about 90% of my post when I scrolled up and saw yours. I just thought that was kinda freaky XD

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
In a word, no. Not unless I planned it to be a series to begin with. To me when I create something, the sanctity of that creation is more important then the money.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
In a word, no. Not unless I planned it to be a series to begin with. To me when I create something, the sanctity of that creation is more important then the money.
Aaah! I was waiting for an answer like that! I totally agree. I hate it when someone creates a terrific, original product, and then become money-grabbers after achieving that success. They often lose their original vision and creativity, and the game often stinks (though it might be a bit better in terms of graphics and gameplay.) I'd move on and make something insanely different, knowing that my publisher would probably trust me on that.