Poll: would you die for your country?

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
No, no I would not.
And not because I don't love it, but I'm 1 of about 50 million living here and I like living, ta.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
My logic is the opposite of the OPs. If I love it, why would I die and not enjoy it anymore?

Also, I can help my country in much better ways than dying. Dying is counter-productive. I could start a business, employ tons of people, and bring money to the economy and do 500000% more good for my country than being dead.

This also probably belongs in the Religion and Politics.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
It makes no sense for a civilian to die for their country. The act accomplishes nothing.

Completely different if you were a soldier. At least you died with a sense of purpose, perceived or not.

I have no desire to ever become a soldier, so my answer is no.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
What? WTF? Why would anyone DIE for a such an abstract construct?

People take dying pretty lightly these days. "I`d catch a grenade for you".

You realize that dying means it is game over? Or maybe I am just a selfish person, but I really don't want to die.

And why live there, if I am not going to die for it? What the hell? I live here because I was born here and learned that language. If I was born a few more kilometres West, I would have been from the Netherlands. Wouldn't want to die for that country either.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I'd risk my life for england, not sure if I'd go on a complete suicide mission for it though.

England's government however...If I really desperately needed to pee and number ten was catching fire, I'd find somewhere to pee that didn't risk saving the life of a complete good for nothing scumbag.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Dying for my country is essentially dying for 22.6 million people, so hell yes I'd die for it.

With that many people in my country, odds are at least one of them is worth dying for, and that would make my sacrifice worthwhile.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
gabe12301 said:
For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
Dying isn't exactly a great way to continue enjoying whatever you love about living there either.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
gabe12301 said:

What do you mean by "die for your country" anyway? Are you suggesting some hypothetical situation where my country would dissolve like the old Soviet Union if I say no? Would my country be physically destroyed if I said no? Are you talking about getting killed by the enemy whilst serving in the military (if that's the case then I'd like to remind you that Patton once said: "No one ever won a war by dieing for their country. They won by making the other son of a ***** die for his country.")? I don't understand the question.

viperthejedi

Jan 19, 2010
Mr Thin said:
Dying for my country is essentially dying for 22.6 million people, so hell yes I'd die for it.

With that many people in my country, odds are at least one of them is worth dying for, and that would make my sacrifice worthwhile.
Well said.

The thing is though you would get more people wanting to die for their country if they had to. If there was a world war 3 then I would think even the people not fit for war would be wanting to fight for what was right.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Depends on the war.
I'm not fighting for the damn government, I'm fighting for the people I've never met, and will never meet.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
gabe12301 said:

Well first of all, maybe I live here because I was born here and I don't have the means to simply up sticks and move somewhere nicer because I don't happen to love the place.

Anyway, I have a bit of a problem with this kind of question because what exactly do you mean by "my country"? The physical land mass itself? The people who live here? The political landscape as it is right now? Someone's subjective ideal of Britain (or England)? Sorry to be a smart-ass, but I can't help wondering about the definition.

I think ultimately, I love my country in a very emotional, sentimental kind of way. (I love my land, no matter how fucked up it gets, to paraphrase Mr. Barret Wallace). I feel a definite connection with it, so I guess I'm patriotic in my own way. But on an honest intellectual level, in terms of how it is right now, with idiots running it, public services being cut in half all over the place, no jobs, no money, and an underclass of youths so cut off from the rest of society that they would pull the shit we put up with the other week? Hell no, it's a fucking shit hole.

To answer the question, no, I wouldn't die for Britain (or England).

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
You mean would I put myself in the line of fire or actually die? Going to war doesn't necessarily mean dying for your country.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
*Sigh* Dude that is not how it works. It is not about dieing for your country. It is about making the other bastard die for his.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
Iron Lightning said:
gabe12301 said:

What do you mean by "die for your country" anyway? Are you suggesting some hypothetical situation where my country would dissolve like the old Soviet Union if I say no? Would my country be physically destroyed if I said no? Are you talking about getting killed by the enemy whilst serving in the military? I don't understand the question.
Hahah, I like the way that between us, we have questioned what the "dying" part of the OP meant, AND what the "country" part meant.

Anyone want to question the meaning of the word "would" in this context?

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Depends on the threat.

If it's something that seriously affects the way of life, maybe.

If it's something like another country is taking over and going to continue business as usual, no.