Poll: Would you embrace a shift to purely digital distribution of games?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I like having physical things, but not of everything. I could live with digital for most releases, but I still would like the option of disks and special editions for things that I deem worthy.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Definitely not. I love having solid copies of games. Ones I can hold and look at. Makes me feel a lot more like I actually own the game than when I just look at a name on a screen and click/press a button on it. And always having to be connected to the internet in order to buy games would be a pain in the ass for people like me that have really crap internet service.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I'm already almost there. Got tired of EB Games never having the game I'm looking for unless I pre-ordered it 24 months in advance. Look at that, Steam has the game I'm looking for. And at a cheaper price! And I don't even have to leave the house!

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
PC only then I could some time in the future. I prefer having the box and stuff but I could see it happening... possible
Console on the other hand is a definite no.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
100% DD? No way, I still prefer to have an actual psychical copy of something, even CDs by my fav bands, even if it's easier and cheaper to buy on Itunes, I like to collect the CDs themselves, same with games, + Used game market is a plus for someone like me who doesn't have masses of disposable income.

That's by no means saying I don't buy any games from steam though

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
I'd like to say no and follow up with a big rant, but I did the same thing about MP3s when they started becoming popular and now I barely use CDs at all, except maybe as backup copies. I'd still like special collector's editions of stuff though, which should preferably be physical.

Feb 9, 2011
No, not at all. I use Steam for everything and have no physical game copies of my own, but I still would never want to see a shirt to pure digital. There needs to be an option for both.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Right now? Hell no. Maximum internet bandwidth in most developed countries is horrible due to so many people using them at once.

In the future? Certainly, if it means i can download, install and play a game on my PS(n) or PC in any time shorter than an actual store trip or at a reduced price.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not crazy about the idea, I'll admit. I like having a physical copy of the game. I mean, call me old-fashioned, but I like my collection (Be it films, books, or games) to be a physical presence. Not to mention there's the inconvenience of un-installing and re-installing things over and over again.
However, if that's the way the industry goes, very well. I won't cease purchasing games over that.

zoharknight

Sep 10, 2008
Nope never. Dont get me wrong. I love digital downloads but i still prefere to have a hardcopy of a game or movie. Extras are cool for example and i dont have to worry about harddrive space. I mostly just download either download only things (which usualy dont take up to much space)or really rare older games. Dlc as well. Only system i can really see the download only way working is on pc. I dont buy games for my pc though, to much of a hassle worrying about specs and shit.Also discs are more reliable. You know you can play it again (well sans breaking. loseing it. or drm shit but thats not really a issue for most console games) but with download only if you uninstall it theres a chance that the game could be taken off the site and even though you own it you can never get it back. Happened to me with Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 on xbox live and a few other games there as well.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
No, it will drive me to become a pirate. Want to know why? I absolutely refuse outright to pay money for a god damn download. If I'm going to spend money on something, I at least want something to show for it. Like music, I don't pay for MP3's on iTunes or whatever, if I'm going to buy it, give it to me in a physical format.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
Only when game consoles come with huge hard drives (think 500 GB), the consoles and games sharply fall down in price and companies finally realize that if you treat your customers right, people will buy your games. That's the only way I could accept a complete shift to digital distribution.

As of right now, not a chance.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I get most/all my games digitally, but not everyone wants/is capable* of that, so a shift to pure digital would be a bit impractical.

*monthly download limits, or just flat-out living somewhere with no internet - yes, these places still exist!

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
I'm a PC gamer and it has shifted significantly already to DD. So it wouldn't bother me.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
Not with the business models of today. We already give too much power to the game's industry with online passes and Project 10$$ amongst other things... The last thing I need is them taking ownership and my physical copy away.

Maybe in the future, but unless something changes, this gamer won't embrace the cloud with open arms.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Fishyash said:
believer258 said:
Not Steam's "offline" mode, completely offline. Not allowing me to do this is stupid of Steam, it seems to be an anti-piracy measure that can't really be that effective.
Agreed on this.

I personally wouldn't mind that you would need to be connected to the internet if games were completely digital, but I would embrace it with arms wide open if digital distributors other than gamersgate or GOG actually sold their games this way.
You can...Steams offline mode once you turn it on, only requires you to be online when you install games or play online..thats IT. I fail to see how thats a big deal, once you turn your comp on after having it installed and set offline mode on you can start steam up in offline and play the game offline.

Personally thats a tiny tiny sacrifice to pay for the deals you can get on the Steam sales and the other advantages ie friends list, screenshots,wishlists, ingame browser, downloading whenever you want and whereever you want at REALLY fast speeds, far faster than GOG offers. And game wise Ive saved about $800USd on games from that store.

I kind of dont understand how 15-20 minutes of being online while you install the game is that much of a deal breaker consdiering how often people are online nowadays.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
When we're at the point where everyone everywhere has fantastic enough internet, it sounds like a pretty sweet deal: provided the price drops a smidgen due to the lack of shipping 'nd such.