Poll: Would you have preferred KoTOR3 to TOR?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
I couldn't stand the abysmal combat in KoTOR and the only MMO that interests me is Eve. So, neither?
Why even come into this thread then? just want to up your post count and be contrary?

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
endtherapture said:
I actually found the gameplay of KoTOR2 better.

Combat was more in depth with extra abilities and the prestige classes were awesome.

Also it had an incredibly dark atmosphere which was great. I enjoyed KoTOR1 for a classic Star Wars feel but KoTOR2 had the feeling of a galaxy on the verge of collapse, which was awesome.
I agree with all of this, actually. Gameplay-wise, I liked the prestige classes, I liked that you could make some of your companions into Jedi/Sith, I especially liked the influence component.

Story-wise, K2 blows K1 out of the water. The worldbuilding is so much more interesting and the characters so much deeper. K2 shows you the Force in all its complexity rather than an all-good vs. all-evil schematic. K1 is more like Lucas' Star Wars, K2 is more what a SW universe would actually be if it were real and ordinary people were living in it. They're both good, but one is more multilayered. And I cannot laud Obsidian enough for its characterization-- I happen to think Kreia is the most interesting character in the EU, right up there next to Vergere (and equally hard to peg).

I'd love to see what Obsidian could do with Star Wars if they had less Executive Meddling. Lucasarts really underestimated the interest in a true sequel, and I think they screwed the pooch with the MMO. I predict it'll go the way of the rest of the WoW clones, with a devoted audience but without sustained numbers high enough to really be a threat to Blizz.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
I couldn't stand the abysmal combat in KoTOR and the only MMO that interests me is Eve. So, neither?
Why even come into this thread then? just want to up your post count and be contrary?
The thread asked for my opinion and I gave it. That's the point of a forum.

Tom Artingstall

Sep 23, 2011
Not even looked at TOR yet. Not really bothered too. I've already got one soul-crushing, life-eating MMO in my life, do I really need to tack Star Wars on? (also, 45 quid + subscription? Pff). Nope, give me KOTOR 3 so I can see WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO REVAN! It's like a huge open ended question in the story that's been nagging at me for years. Where did Revan go, what did he found, did the Exile manage to link up with him and what happened then?

I'm sure TOR will reveal all with a crappy 25-man heroic raid or whatever copy of WoW-style endgame content they're using. I'm willing to bet money it involves looting big shiny gear that once belonged to the crew of the Ebon Hawk... Sigh.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I would have liked an Obsidian KOTOR3 developed over a few years and published when it was finished. As for TOR, I don't pay to play it is terrible value for money. When I am busy I get hardly any time to play games, I'd only get a couple hours every month. I'll play TOR when it goes free to play. Until then...when is Star Trek Online due to go FTP again?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Chairman Miaow said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It asked which you would prefer, not which you would dislike more.

Adam28

Feb 28, 2011
Lucasarts has annoyed me a lot lately when it comes to games (avoiding films)

No KOTOR3
No Battlefront 3
No more Rogue Squadron quality games
No more Jedi Knight games (although I am satisfied with its Kartarn series ending, not his student assuming there is no book I have to read)
No Republic Commando sequel

Series which all held up very well when compared to the other games of their genres. I guess the Force Unleashed is kind of like the replacement to the Jedi Knight series but I personally don't enjoy FU that much and I'm sure many agree with me. /rant

Anyway, I definitely feel that the money I have spent so far on TOR has been worth it based on its Single-player experience alone but I would still prefer KOTOR3. I feel like Bioware are obviously the experts when it comes to making a KOTOR game but KOTOR2 had the better writing.

Bioware should steal those writers and whoever else helped build that brilliantly dark grey universe that was in KOTOR2 as well as work on balancing the difficulty of the game a little better (The hard mode in both games was pretty easy, especially as a soldier/guardian).

I voted Bio-ware even though I understand that Obsidian was not given enough time by Lucasarts. By the way, when did Nar Shaddaa become the Gold Earth? Feels like a Coruscant to me, and that's not a good thing.

Shadows Risen

Nov 1, 2011
Tom Artingstall said:
Not even looked at TOR yet. Not really bothered too. I've already got one soul-crushing, life-eating MMO in my life, do I really need to tack Star Wars on? (also, 45 quid + subscription? Pff). Nope, give me KOTOR 3 so I can see WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO REVAN! It's like a huge open ended question in the story that's been nagging at me for years. Where did Revan go, what did he found, did the Exile manage to link up with him and what happened then?

I'm sure TOR will reveal all with a crappy 25-man heroic raid or whatever copy of WoW-style endgame content they're using. I'm willing to bet money it involves looting big shiny gear that once belonged to the crew of the Ebon Hawk... Sigh.
3 places you can find out what happened to Revan. TOR, the "Revan" book, or wookieepedia. However, what they did to the Exile was not cool ¬_¬ And we still don't know what's happened to Revan after TOR...

OT: Obsidian writing the story and characters, Bioware doing the coding and EA as far away as possible would do me. KoTOR II story and characters was awesome, even if the game was buggy and unfinished (which wasn't Obsidian's fault).

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
An MMO with shitty single player....or a single player focused game by either Obsidian or Bioware? The developer doesn't matter that much. I want an incredibly decent Star Wars game, considering the KOTOR games are the only ones out there that aren't multiplayer focused (Battlefront was pretty kewl).

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Chairman Miaow said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Chairman Miaow said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
It asked which you would prefer, not which you would dislike more.
It asked what I would prefer, and I said neither. Completely valid response to the question,

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Single Player by either Bioware or Obsidian.
Preferably Bioware though. Hopefully they wouldn't destroy it like the Dragon Age series.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I can't really vote on this due to me actually liking TOR. As an MMO it is actually really good and for the most part the stories are really good. Would I like KOTOR 3, yes am I just as happy with TOR yes. I understand that console games are left in the dust with this, but scale of this game is important and consoles kinda suck now. I am happy now no matter what, only really hope for an expansion asap.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
dyre said:
DracoSuave said:
Fans: We would LOVE a Star Wars MMO in the Old Republic!
Them: We're making one.
Fans: Yay! We need this! It's all we ever wanted!
Them: We made one. Here you go.
Fans: Boo! You could have made KOTOR3 instead!
Them: And this is why we don't listen to forums on the internet.
Maybe we've been looking at different threads, but most of the fans I've seen have always wanted KOTOR 3, not TOR. Why would fans of two companies famous for their single-player action RPGs demand an MMORPG?
I've been paying attention for longer than the beta for TOR.

People have been asking for TOR since...

It's been a lot longer than this dialog.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Yes and no, I think theres room for both games actually. I like ToR and in some ways it is KoToR 3. However I also feel that KOTOR 3 as its own rpg released by bioware still has a place in the industry.

So I guess my question is why isnt there another option that says something like "Why cant we have both?"

Cal Thomas

Jun 21, 2011
Or a KOTOR3 from Obsidian, if they actually manage to finish the damn thing this time instead of leaving it 3/4th done like KOTOR2.

Sugarman101

Jan 8, 2011
While I would love a KOTOR 3, it would never match up to the scale of TOR. One of the things I like best about TOR is the multiple storylines. I've found classes like the Bounty Hunter and Smuggler are far more fun than the Jedi/Sith plotlines and force users are always the focus of a KOTOR game.

Also, playing TOR with a friend makes it a million times more enjoyable. I've gotten bored with the grind a number of times playing on my own, but when a friend or two joins up with me it's a whole different experience, the combat is quick and fun and it's really interesting to see how conversations play out as a group. It adds a level of unpredictability to the story which is nice.

So, If I could get a KOTOR with 8 different storylines and co-op that would be great, but for the moment I'm happy with TOR.

But I agree with the sentiments expressed by some people here: Why can't we have both?

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I would have preferred a new IP single-player RPG. However, if it had to be Star Wars, I'd prefer a single-player RPG by Bioware or Obsidian, basically anything that isn't an MMO.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
It looks like Bioware tried giving TOR a single-player focus with an MMO bit but I haven't actually played the thing. As someone above said, I don't see why there couldn't have been both (unless of course they really did spent $500 million or however much to make TOR). The thing is, I wouldn't have played the MMO if it was free mainly because of how weak my PC is but also because I don't care for MMOs in general.

Yes, I would have preferred a proper Knights of the Old Republic 3 especially since Sith Lords was rushed out the door so hard that it forgot to pack a majority of its C-Plot. I know I've said this before though and I also known I've gone on to say this: "I know now how Warcraft fans must have felt when they found out they were getting an MMO instead of another RTS".

NathLines

May 23, 2010
I would definitely want a proper Kotor 3. I have been extremely bothered by people saying that they play TOR as a singleplayer game... A singleplayer game that you pay a subscription fee for *twitch* >.O