Poll: Would you hook up with/date a trans person?

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
So many vanillas here, it seems... Yes to both. Couldn't really give a stuff about procreation (and having a family these days can be done in a variety of ways anyway), and oldskool gender norms/identities are a little dull. If the person's worth it, and I think they're desirable, that's all that matters.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The thing is that I find extreme plastic surgery a huge turn off, whether it's a woman just getting work done or a man becoming a woman. If it was a man magically turned into a woman by a genie or something, I wouldn't have a problem. They could still have the manliest voice and I wouldn't care. But if I can tell things have been severly sliced and diced and shifted around, it gives me the heebie jeebies.

Though Lord knows why a trans person would wanna date me.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
Afraid not.

I'm very much live and let live, but I'm not gay enough to date a woman who looks like a man, and a woman with a penis has too much penis for me, and cannot bear children and so we could never have a family.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Both for no unfortunately.
Mostly due to preference. I grew up in a all-boys school, and I/my personality just decided I wanted a cute girl back then.
This was in the age where I didn't know much about the world, so I grew into a adult that just likes vanilla girls.

I won't be offended if you hit on me, complimented me, or whatever.
I've shot declined a bisexual before, but I certainly did thank him for complimenting me, because that is always nice.

Still, I'm fine with my current preference.
The biggest problem, I'm still single ... Eh, I'm fine with that. Sure glad that I am patent though. :D

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don't see why it should be a problem.

Though, I sometimes wonder how many straight guys would date a trans woman, but only if she didn't have a bigger penis than him. OTOH, if you are comparing sizes, things have gone pretty far already.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Good question, and one I'm not sure I can answer.
On one hand, my desire for dating or even casual sex is virtually non-existent, boarding on asexual (no, I can't be bothered quibbling over definitions).
On the other hand, as low as my desire is, my sexuality is rather vague and ill defined, with massive quotes around "straight".

Would I kiss a trans person? Probably. Would I have sex with them? No so sure.
My main issue would be what exactly there is to greet me down there. I've kind of wondered this, but how closely does a sex change operation end up resembling the real thing?

Leon Royce

Aug 22, 2014
I don't think you could find a single trans-sexual considering or having undergone op that is not internally crippled with serious self-hatred...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Leon Royce said:
I don't think you could find a single trans-sexual considering or having undergone op that is not internally crippled with serious self-hatred...
I have to echo this sentiment. While I have met many a nice trans individual they've always come with far more emotional/psychological baggage than the average person.

I'm too pragmatic to deal with such things so I'll settle for folks without those social issues.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I don't theoretically have a problem with it. Problems ensue when you get practical, people aren't all in the same situation with their bodies, desires, emotions,... so it makes for one awfully awkward exchange to work out how things stand with them.

And I have enough problems dealing with "regular" people as it is, another layer of complications does not bode well.

DarkRawen

Awe-Inspiringly Awesome
Apr 20, 2010
I figured that since I picked the: "I'm trans and none of these apply to me" I might as well comment for once. Hm. Anyways, while I am bisexual, I don't want to hook up with anyone now, to me sex is sorta icky with the "parts" I have now. Sure, I can get turned on and all that fun stuff, but having sex with sexual parts you find outright disgusting (as in, my own) is... not going to happen. That's sorta why I'm going to either get an operation, or live a life without sex, the latter of which sounds a lot less fun.

Oh, I'm FtM, btw, which might make a difference, I dunno.

Now, lets say I had the right tools for the job... then sure. Only thing is that I've never been attracted to women/men with both breasts and a penis. The other way around is fine, women/men with no breasts and a vagina would be fine, but the whole "boobs + penis" thing is a bit... odd to me. Could be okay with it, I'm not sure, the other person's body has never been my main concern, clearly a pretty face is by far the most important. (I'm vain, but in a more personal way).

So, I suppose my answer is that I'd be fine with both dating and hooking up with transgendered people, but not at the moment. I don't want to date anyone now, because that'd be such a mess to explain and deal with, and ugh.

Leon Royce said:
Hello, I am a transsexual who is not only considering, but have applied for the whole program, and I am not crippled with serious self-hatred. Actually, I'm closer to crippled by my over-the-top self-confidence, because I'm arrogant as fuck. :p

It's nice to meet you.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Not pre-op. Maybe not post-op, but I wouldn't be able to answer that one with any certainty until I had encountered the situation, which I have not. At the very least, having kids isn't an issue, since I already have one of those(she lives with my ex-wife). Hard to say, really. The idea itself doesn't weird me out(I'm just not going to have sex with someone who also has a penis is all), so it really just comes down to a matter of attraction. Whether I would be or not isn't something I can give a blanket answer to.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Bisexual and trans myself. Why yes of course I would. I don't know what more to add, it is really that simple. I guess I can add that other transfeminine people have an easier time relating to me, my relation to my body and so on. Which means things get simpler when it comes to sex. Otherwise I am not that fuzzy with the details. Intelligence, empathy and a fun eccentric personality is far more important in my book.

Apr 5, 2008
No, I'd be quite freaked out TBH. Not only is it too weird, I wouldn't want to have someone in my life with that level of psychological issue. I'd prefer someone normal without the "issues" in the first place.

Kilyle

Jan 31, 2011
Oddly enough, it was the Night Vale fanfic community that helped me to understand some of the issues that trans people are facing, and to better empathize with them (even so much as trying to figure out whether they can go to the bathroom without making anyone else uncomfortable or getting harassed themselves). I'm quite grateful for that, as I'm writing a couple intersex characters in the cast of an upcoming project, and while they aren't major characters I did want to treat them as human beings and with appropriate sympathetic awareness of what their reality is like. I just didn't expect to find that via fanfics of a guy dating a thoroughly endearing tentacle beast (life is funny sometimes).

I don't think I could ever be comfortable marrying a man who is genetically female -- but that's tied in with my religious beliefs, that the soul at its creation (first breath) has a gender, that the genders have particular characteristics to highlight deeper truths about reality beyond our limited space-time, that a corruption or "curse" happened across all creation when Adam sinned and that it blurred the lines between genders (essentially, we had a Platonic ideal two-party system beforehand, and that got all screwed up). But I equally wouldn't marry a man with long hair or earrings, and for roughly the same reason (symbolism of deeper truths), so it's not like gender is The One Big Thing with me; it's just a set of standards that I've grown up with.

(And I do think that gender identity is tied to getting the wrong hormones in the womb (they've done this with rats, and they'll totally act like the opposite gender), so it's not the person's fault that they feel this way, and since it's the brain doing it and not a choice, it makes zero sense to harass them over it. How they care to dress or talk or whatever is nobody's business but their own, and it's not like it's hurting anybody.)

I think I could marry an intersex man. I don't believe that God meant for the entire group of intersex people to be celibate, nor indeed to marry only other intersex people, so it makes sense that they should be acceptable in normal marriages and I shouldn't have a problem with it. Intellectually, I think it shouldn't be any weirder than marrying a guy with any other genetic abnormality or deformity... though I don't know how I'd feel about it if I actually were in that situation, and sometimes our feelings don't match our rational understanding of things (you can be disgusted by something that you reasonably shouldn't find disgusting). And in my understanding, intersex covers not only visibly weird stuff between the legs, but also just having a genetic setup that doesn't clearly indicate either male or female (XXY, XXXY, etc.).

I haven't read this entire thread yet but it cheers me to know that the transgender community also thinks it's wrong to deceive someone about your full gender profile en route to sex/marriage. I know that if I ended up married to a guy and found out he'd been born female, I would flat-out divorce him -- not over the gender thing in and of itself, but because failing to share that at an earlier stage in the courtship says some incredibly dark things about that person's character and especially their respect for me and my right to informed consent ("she'll never find out so she doesn't need to know" is like the opposite of respecting me as a person). (Rape by Deceit is an issue I'll be tackling in my project. Like a decade ago I saw an Oprah special about men who realize they're gay after marriage, don't tell their wives, and start sleeping around... and at the time I saw it, I got vibrating mad and saw it as way worse than mere cheating, and I didn't even know why I thought that. Turns out that the statistics back up my intuition: Men who sleep with men are an ASTOUNDINGLY huge jump in STI risk compared to a guy who cheats with other women.)

But, on the other hand, Leftover Soup made me think it over: Where along the courtship line do you say stuff like this? "John, I'm not sure how far this relationship is going to go, but I thought you should know something about me. Or rather, about my body...." You need to convey this information clearly prior to any sexual relationship of any kind -- that includes kissing! -- and prior to getting engaged. But just how far back do you go? And how much do you have to trust a person before you share with them some intimate part of yourself, a secret that could get you fired (still happens!) or ruin some of your relationships to friends and family? And that's not even taking into account the amount of social and linguistic dancing we do to avoid stating the facts in a clear and straightforward manner, or the fear of seeing a relationship crumble after you were taking such comfort in it up to that point. It's a complex issue.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Every time there's one thread about transgender people there's always a few more 'would you X a transgender person?'that crop up.

Either way I don't really date right now but I'd have no issue with it.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
If I found them attractive and we got on well, I would. Butt-play can be fun, dicks don't freak me out (I am attached to one), and I've been to some certain websites.

The real question is, why would somebody date me?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
My partner of 10 years is trans. I am a stright cis male and my partner is a biolgical female. It's a bit complicated but basically she identifies as male but has no interest in transitioning. We have a wonderful relationship and since I'm attracted to her mind and her body, the fact that she identifies as male does not bother me in the least. Obviously, I do refer to her as "she, her" despite her self-identification but this is because everyone does given how she looks and her disinterest in transitioning. If I walked around calling her "he, him" we'd probably have to explain to people constantly what the real situation was when we'd prefer to keep it a private matter.