Poll: Would you join the Space Marines?

agentorange98

Aug 30, 2011
So I really don't know anything about Warhammer 40K although it seems hella bad ass but with all the trailers for the game I was wondering if Space Marines were real would you join?

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
You do not "join" the Space Marines. You are recruited out of populations of several trillions if you happen to possess the right characteristics, namely a near omnicidal lust for combat and the rough shape of a rather muscular flatbed truck. You also have to possess these characteristics as a child, becase adults tend to go completely insane from the transformation as opposed to only mostly insane. After being "recruited", you're put through several years of training in which you will, more often than not, die. If you don't, you're outfitted with several superfluous organs, genetically modified to make you an even more absurd specimen of manliness, and brainwashed into fanatically supporting the empire and its various conflicting ideologies. If you somehow manage to survive that, congratulations, you're a scout.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Going to go with no. Adepta Sororitas, on the other hand, sure. I'm at least properly 'equipped' for that one.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Being a Space Marine would give me a higher chance of surviving so yeah why not? If life becomes too boring, I can go corrupt and join the forces of Chaos.

Also, you don't 'join' the Space Marines.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
No way. Even if I survived basic training, there's no way I'd live through the surgery.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I'm 99.999% sure that not a single person reading this would be eligable to join the Space Marines. They pick people who are one in a million, people who are already huge hulking slabs of muscle and also smart, clever, resourceful, etc. Those one-in-a-million kind of guys. And even if you were up to snuff, it's not your call. They either pick you, in which case you aren't asked if you want to go, or they don't, in which case you get no say.

And even if you were fit for it and could fill out an application form, I'd still not join them. Not only is the survival rate of their training/modification shamefully low, if you make it through the life ahead of you isn't something to look forward to. It sucks being a Space Marine.

Now, the Inquisition, there's an organization I could get behind! Tons of power, operating freedom, insight into how the galaxy really works. I'd sign up with Ordo Xenos in a heartbeat!

Spineyguy

Apr 14, 2009
If the opportunity came along, sure. In terms of the massive scope of the Imperium of Man, the Space Marines are one of the less extreme factions, generally their position on the Emperor as a God is moderate at best, they are all extremely clever and powerful individuals and adventure and glory among the stars sounds like something I could dig.

That said, it is highly unlikely that I would make it through ten minutes of Astartes training, let alone the twenty-odd years that is usually required.

Also, a century+ on a ship crewed and inhabited exclusively by other Space marines might turn into something of a sausage-fest, but it's cool, I could probably handle the bromance.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No, I'm going to go be reconfigured into a Necron, really. Mine is the joy of spreading a wave of terror and destruction without end.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
No, simply because of how brutal the selection and training/augmentation processes are.

You can't just put in an application and hope for the best. Many citizens of the Imperium don't know that Space Marines even exist, while many more believe them to be mythical figures. Only the Space Marines themselves get to decide who is worthy of joining their ranks.

Space Marine chapters are extremely selective with who they recruit. Typically only the most physically capable male adolescents are selected from particularly unforgiving places, such as psychotic undercity gang members on hive worlds or hardened warrior tribes on feral/death worlds. Recruits are typically between the ages of 12 and 16, as their bodies have a better chance of accepting the myriad implants that will be surgically inserted into them later.

The training regimen candidates are put through is extremely unforgiving and deadly. The vast majority of trainees die before they even begin the aforementioned augmentation process. Augmentation itself is extremely hazardous. The process is extremely painful and every new implant carries with it the danger of being rejected by the body, often with fatal results. Finally there's the indoctrination process, where trainees are brainwashed into total subservience to the Imperium and unwavering belief in the Imperial Cult and the supposed divinity of the Emperor.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
No, simply because of how brutal the selection and training/augmentation processes are.

You can't just put in an application and hope for the best. Many citizens of the Imperium don't know that Space Marines even exist, while many more believe them to be mythical figures. Only the Space Marines themselves get to decide who is worthy of joining their ranks.

Space Marine chapters are extremely selective with who they recruit. Typically only the most physically capable male adolescents are selected from particularly unforgiving places, such as psychotic undercity gang members on hive worlds or hardened warrior tribes on feral/death worlds. Recruits are typically between the ages of 12 and 16, as their bodies have a better chance of accepting the myriad implants that will be surgically inserted into them later.

The training regimen candidates are put through is extremely unforgiving and deadly. The vast majority of trainees die before they even begin the aforementioned augmentation process. Augmentation itself is extremely hazardous. The process is extremely painful and every new implant carries with it the danger of being rejected by the body, often with fatal results. Finally there's the indoctrination process, where trainees are brainwashed into total subservience to the Imperium and unwavering belief in the Imperial Cult and the supposed divinity of the Emperor.
What he said, the chances to survive the processes are too slim and being brainwashed isn't nice either.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No, mostly cuase I dont fit the criteria and its a bit late for me at this age.

PlusI never agreeed with their practices.

ChaosBorne

Jul 24, 2004
uhm no i wouldn't want to join even if i was eligable, being a marine totally sucks ass, you have no freedom, your whole life revolves around combat and preparing for it, the training is brutal to say the least, the "entry exam" is even more brutal because even if you are eligable they cut that number down even further by having deathmatches to leave only the most skilled and psychotic.

so yeah being a marine is no fun, that said nothing in the imperium is fun, and as somebody else already mentioned joining the inquisition is where it's at, then atleast you enjoy a modicum of freedom, i'd rather get with the Ordo Hereticus though i have a feeling that's the "safest" of the Ordos considering all you have to deal with are other humans also you get to hobknob with the Adepta Sororitas more commonly known as the sisters of battle hot chicks in power armour (they'd ofcourse completely murder me if i tried anything)

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
This is one of those cases where fantasy should not become reality. They're like the xenophobic religious extreme right, but doped up on steroids and dropped into the most dangerous combat situations imaginable.

So no.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly, I'd much rather keep my genitals than join the Astartes, thanks.

I'd say, who would want to join the Guard, but that's a pretty shitty proposition on it's own, unless you're talking someone who is off the front lines. There's always who would want to joint the inquisition, though I'm pretty sure the only reason that sounds even remotely appealing is because I don't actually know that much about them.

matell

Oct 13, 2010
well the Imperium IS going down the drain, with more and more rampant psychers, and the Golden Throne not being what it once was, IMO the end will be a galaxy in which only the necrons and the tyranids continue to battle.
So I guess I would join (become?) the Orkz, they have the most fun even when losing battles.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Better than being in the Imperial Guard. All the work, none of the glory.