Poll: Would you join the Space Marines?

Evil Earlgrey

May 14, 2010
agentorange98 said:
So I really don't know anything about Warhammer 40K although it seems hella bad ass but with all the trailers for the game I was wondering if Space Marines were real would you join?
As you admited: You have no idea of warhammer 40k (heretic!). You don't "join" the spacemarines. You get chosen. And if you survive the years of selection process you might become a spacemarine. It's not something you can do if you like. Go join the imperial guard..

Terrara

Jul 1, 2011
I can't join the marines. But Adeptas Sororitas may consider taking me in. We need to burn some heretics in our ranks.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Of course I wouldn't want to be a Space Marine. The reasons have been sufficiently covered so that I don't feel it's necessary to go into further detail myself though.

Commissars are far more awesome anyway. All the same badass, none of the dick removal. Plus they do it without any of that pansy armor crap that the marines need so badly.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
Joining the space marines? i'd rather kill myself although if i had to chose between living in the 40k universe or being a space marine i would rather be a space marine at least i would protect humanity

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Hmm, I'd say no due to the glaringly large negatives (I don't fit the recruitment profile, massive amounts of pain and an eternity of servitude and battle akin to being a slave thrall)

As for the guard.. Seeing as how Earth is a pretty "soft" planet any guard regiments recruited here would probably be wiped out in their first engagement.

Chaos cultists are where it's at; fighting? Why fight when I can kidnap a few people and summon minor demons. [sub][sub][sub][sub]...and potentially die a horrible death from said demons, from loyalists, other cults or my own cult[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

ben117

Sep 2, 2009
If you are an every day person life is pretty shit the only way to get a decent life is if you join the inquisition. Space marines cant have kids.

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
To hell with the space marines. Real men join the Imperial Guard.
Want to see new and exotic locals on other worlds?
Have a deep longing for the vastness of space?
THEN TAKE A CRUISE NANCY DREW!!

I want a tough as nails Sargent pointing a gun to my head yelling at me to die for my Man-God over the rain of artillery shells while a Segmentum appointed Commissar holds a gun to HIS head and yells at HIM not to let his men be such BLOODY cowards.

Wow that got a little dicey there for a second...

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Necrons.

Because they're the only ones I have the models for... I wouldn't mind coming back as a wraith, destoyer, or heavy destroyer. Heck, most scenarios are just 'hold out against the necrons' anyway, and you get to come back to life most of the time.

It's not like the C'tan want to hurt you either, they want to kill everyone else.

Wraith: Because they're pretty much ninjas, hard to hit, they get up close and SLICE SLICE SLICE.

Destroyer: Pretty much a grenadier that can hover.

Heavy Destroyer: Bigger gun, except now I sit back more with the Monolith that is pretty much rape on hover, 4 sets of little grenade-like guns, 1 big anti-vehicle gun, can teleport in troops, can fly.

We get saving throws most of the time to come back to life (or a tomb spyder re-assembles you if we w in) where luck can mean we are very hard to kill.

We never lose. We just retreat when our numbers are low. It's not a matter of can you lose, but when.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Jandau said:
I'm 99.999% sure that not a single person reading this would be eligable to join the Space Marines.
One is generally disqualified on account of being literate. Not only are children recruited, but its usually children from the pissholes of the galaxy: underhives or feral worlds.

However, holyshit I want to wear ceramite and wield a sparkly hammer.

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
Are you serious?

Eldrich warp powers aside have you seen those guys? They are as likely to shoot you as the opposition and then again there's the heinous dental hygiene. In the Guard dental is free,
A gift from the Emperor himself.
:D

Snoozer

Jun 8, 2011
If I happend to be in the 40k universe I would try to get away from there as soon as possible. Very cool and dark but really not the kind of universe you want to be in.
And the survival rate of space marines isn't that good either. Too many plasma weapons and energy claws around.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Fuck no. I would rather join the Necrons.

Sure, I would become a soulless undead terminator but on the other hand I would become a soulless undead terminator.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
thiosk said:
Jandau said:
I'm 99.999% sure that not a single person reading this would be eligable to join the Space Marines.
One is generally disqualified on account of being literate. Not only are children recruited, but its usually children from the pissholes of the galaxy: underhives or feral worlds.
Actually, the age varies. Teenagers are also popular choices and I distinctly remember some chapters recruiting from worlds that hold special contests to select the recruits. There have also been recruits from fully grown adults, though these tend to be less frequent. The reasoning is that a younger body takes to the implants more easily while older people are more likely to die from the process, but in general as long as you don't reach maturity, you're fine. And again, even efter maturity you can still join, only your chances of survival drop a bit.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
Hal10k said:
You do not "join" the Space Marines. You are recruited out of populations of several trillions if you happen to possess the right characteristics, namely a near omnicidal lust for combat and the rough shape of a rather muscular flatbed truck. You also have to possess these characteristics as a child, becase adults tend to go completely insane from the transformation as opposed to only mostly insane. After being "recruited", you're put through several years of training in which you will, more often than not, die. If you don't, you're outfitted with several superfluous organs, genetically modified to make you an even more absurd specimen of manliness, and brainwashed into fanatically supporting the empire and its various conflicting ideologies. If you somehow manage to survive that, congratulations, you're a scout.
This

I wouldn't want to be that. I'll paint the miniatures and scoot them around a table top but I do not want to actually BE one.

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
rapidoud said:
Necrons.

Because they're the only ones I have the models for... I wouldn't mind coming back as a wraith, destoyer, or heavy destroyer. Heck, most scenarios are just 'hold out against the necrons' anyway, and you get to come back to life most of the time.

It's not like the C'tan want to hurt you either, they want to kill everyone else.

Wraith: Because they're pretty much ninjas, hard to hit, they get up close and SLICE SLICE SLICE.

Destroyer: Pretty much a grenadier that can hover.

Heavy Destroyer: Bigger gun, except now I sit back more with the Monolith that is pretty much rape on hover, 4 sets of little grenade-like guns, 1 big anti-vehicle gun, can teleport in troops, can fly.

We get saving throws most of the time to come back to life (or a tomb spyder re-assembles you if we w in) where luck can mean we are very hard to kill.

We never lose. We just retreat when our numbers are low. It's not a matter of can you lose, but when.
The fight isn't over yet Heretic. Grrrrrr. *Smokes cigar*

Xooiid

Feb 1, 2011
OK, for this thread I am going to assume that the OP meant that "If you could be transferred into the Body of a Space Marine, passing all the training and such, would you?"

Because, after the person is selected, they usually undergo decades as an Aspirant neophyte before they become a Scout Marine, and then have to serve more decades as an Aspirant scout (Including at least the Chaplain's trials and the Baptism by fire before he can even be considered) before he gains his Astartes Armor and is welcomed into a chapter. For more:

Check under Space Marine Recruitment [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marine]

Even still, I would say no. The life of a Space Marine is essentially a 28 hour day of training, praying and weapons maintenance in between the conflicts. So, yeah, your downtime is essentially nonexistent. No recreation, no meaning aside to serve the Emperor and the Primarch as a tool of destruction. No thanks.

Me? I'm going to be a Commissar [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Commissar]. Though I could be nowhere near as awesome as The Ghost [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ibram_Gaunt] or CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain]

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
ben117 said:
If you are an every day person life is pretty shit the only way to get a decent life is if you join the inquisition. Space marines cant have kids.
True but then that's no picnic either. Fringe worlds might be peaceful for a few decades but something would invade sooner or later.

"Nothing to do but load you're gun and watch the skies!"

Hey that's not a bad line... I wonder if I thought of it or if I saw it somewhere...
You ever get that?

:?

FrankatronX

Jul 28, 2010
Xooiid said:
OK, for this thread I am going to assume that the OP meant that "If you could be transferred into the Body of a Space Marine, passing all the training and such, would you?"

Because, after the person is selected, they usually undergo decades as an Aspirant neophyte before they become a Scout Marine, and then have to serve more decades as an Aspirant scout (Including at least the Chaplain's trials and the Baptism by fire before he can even be considered) before he gains his Astartes Armor and is welcomed into a chapter. For more:

Check under Space Marine Recruitment [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Marine]

Even still, I would say no. The life of a Space Marine is essentially a 28 hour day of training, praying and weapons maintenance in between the conflicts. So, yeah, your downtime is essentially nonexistent. No recreation, no meaning aside to serve the Emperor and the Primarch as a tool of destruction. No thanks.

Me? I'm going to be a Commissar [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Commissar]. Though I could be nowhere near as awesome as The Ghost [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ibram_Gaunt] or CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! [http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Ciaphas_Cain]
Emperor be praised!

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Hal10k said:
You do not "join" the Space Marines.
All I could think about when I read this was, "One does not simply walk into mordor."

ehh Id give it a shot....maybe the surgery part would fix my back and what not.