Poll: Would you like to play a video game set in your hometown/city?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Fallout 3. Interestingly enough, there is a police department in Germantown MD which was in walking distance of where I lived while I lived in Germantown. I have basically lived in the DC/Metro area for most of my life and it would be nice to play more games set in that area. Fallout 3 was great but there aren't nearly as many Deathclaws in Maryland. They're mostly in Virginia. Also there aren't any scorpions in the area...at all.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Fallout 3 could work here, we have so much bugs and animals that will look so cool mutated(not so cool from close though, they might want to eat me) and we practically already live in a desert.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
currently I'm living in Puerto Rico and from what I see on the news everyday, Gotham City can't hold a candle to PR, so yeah a game set in this island would have have you getting mugged, stabbed, raped, and killed in the first 6 minutes :/

so no I wouldn't want a game based in my city

shane211

Mar 17, 2010
With the history of Deadwood, South Dakota I'm surprised there hasn't been a western game set here, but if there was I'd play it

Shoto Koto

May 13, 2009
A game set where I live would be the most boring game ever, perhaps you could entitle it 'twitchy-curtains-farming-simulator'.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I think about how awesome it would be to have a game that at least goes through my city even just a little bit at least once a month or so. I live in a city that would be large enough to have a lot of exploration possibilities, but I kind of doubt that it would ever get more than maybe a mention in any game.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
My hometown is lame and shit. But the city I commute to most often is Dublin and I could totally play a game set there. It'd be cool to already know the routes and stuff. Especially if it didn't have to be realistic and it was like, a contemporary fantasy game like Neil Gaiman's book Neverwhere

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Left for Dead (the first one just to be clear) part of it IS set in my hometown. And I enjoy that game. In fact it goes all the way up to the air reserve base my father works at.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Whenever something like that happened,the first thing I felt was a bit of excitement.
But I actually liked the more accurate representations of my city.

E.G. In Asterix & Obelix for SNES the Athens level is rather accurate. It's events might happen in the ancient times,but I could recognize the topology of this level which was something awesome.

In Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 though the Greece map was messed and featured a variety of different attractions of the country,that they actually are hundreds of miles away from each other in a short circuit map,which was rather stupid.

Danglybits

Oct 31, 2008
The disused subway system (most residents of the city don't even know it exists) alone would be a great survival horror level. In the wish-fulfillment category I would love to see a game about a cop trying to stop the violence.

Applejack

Aug 1, 2010
Fallout 3 visits parts of where I grew up around DC so it was interesting to see but nothing was very accurate. It's kind of a strange feeling of familiarity like "I know what will be around this corner!" and you completely expect it to be but it isn't there.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
I would. It'd be nice to know my way around mostly without a map. Plus getting to see things you know or recognize in a game adds a level of immersion.

I'd love any game that has the balls to take place in Cleveland...because it thought about it, and chose CLEVELAND, Oh, lol

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Zhukov said:
Yeah, I guess, if only for the curiosity value and to see who would possibly want to set a game in Hobart, Australia. (That distant rumbling noise you can hear is all the other Aussies on the forum laughing at me.)

It would be pretty dull setting.
I thought Hobart was in Tasmania...?

On topic. It would be pretty interesting to be romping round my local town in a zombie game or a GTA style game.

The problem being I live in a tiny town between 2 huge cities (Liverpool and Manchester), the probability of a game happening in St Helens, UK is none existent.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
omega 616 said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah, I guess, if only for the curiosity value and to see who would possibly want to set a game in Hobart, Australia. (That distant rumbling noise you can hear is all the other Aussies on the forum laughing at me.)

Well, yeah, it is.

Tasmania is part of Austr... oh, I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Zhukov said:
omega 616 said:
Zhukov said:

Well, yeah, it is.

Even I didn't see what I did thar.

I thought there might have been another Hobart I didn't know about. I know a girl who lives in Hobart and that's why I knew there was one on Tasmania.

There are two Perth's for example ... ok, 1 is in Aus and the other the UK but still ....

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Fasckira said:
Andy Shandy said:
So I've been playing a lot of Civ V recently with some friends, and I always rename (no matter what civ I'm playing as) the capital to Dundee (my hometown), the time I was playing today, we started discussing games and settings and remembered a rumour from a few years back saying that the next GTA would be set in Dundee, and you could see that logic behind it as the creator of GTA was a Dundonian and the first few games were made by DMA Design.
FYI, Im from Dundee too (though not living there now), and I once built a Half Life 1 map based on the main building of Dundee High School!

But yes, I'd love to play a full city wide sandbox game based on Dundee. It'd just be the general joy of "oh look, thats RS McColls newsagents! Oh, and the Odeon!" and so on. Multiplayer hide-and-seek DM would be great too!
Oh, I'm just imagining multiplayer deathmatches in places like the Wellgate now! Christ, that was be amazing fun.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
It would be sweet if it had a good premise and gameplay but I live in a small town so it would more than likely be a stop on the way to the bigger cities in the game.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I did live for a little while in a city... and I've read some fiction set there that would make for good gaming...

but where I was raised, where I live now... it's in the middle of the woods, with very little around but more woods with the occasional fenced-off 10+ acre plot of private property.

...great place for a fishing game, I guess. Or survival horror. Or road racing.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
omega 616 said:
Zhukov said:
omega 616 said:
Zhukov said:

Well, yeah, it is.

Even I didn't see what I did thar.

I thought there might have been another Hobart I didn't know about. I know a girl who lives in Hobart and that's why I knew there was one on Tasmania.
Wait... you're aware that Tasmania is a state of Australia, right?

It's an island, but it's part of the country. Like the US and Hawaii... except colder and without any beaches.