Poll: Would you play a game about non-Americans?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Most games I play aren't about Americans...
I think most of the ones that I do play are Rockstar (developed or published) games: Red Dead Redemption, Bully, and LA Noire.

The non-Rockstar ones: Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Alpha Protocol, Batman: Arkham City...

Do post-apocalypses like Fallout and Enslaved count? It's America, but only in terms of geography.

And how many of those would you describe as "a game about an American"?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I think the OP means military shooters . Either that or he has to broaden his gaming repetoir . That being said , i'm Canadian . And i wouldn't mind . A game about Mountees going to war on horses wOuld be awsome .

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Emiscary said:
Thank you for so elegantly illustrating what annoys people about the 'States by dividing the world up into: "Americans" and "Non-Americans".

And also for subtly reinforcing stereotypes by failing to mention any game that wasn't centered around shooting people in the face with an AK/M14/etc.
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. Although, there were the several WW2 shooters where you played as British or even as *gasp* German soldiers (could have been only in the multiplayer). And that GTA game that had a...Serbian(??? I think he was. Eastern European, at least. I didn't play it) as a protagonist. Or the Modern Warfare games where you play those SAS guys. Or maybe the Yakuza games where you play people from (surprise!) Japan.

I can go on.

But yeah, what about all the other games? I've been playing Might & Magic 7 recently. You control four characters there, only one of mine is human, I'd hazard a guess that she's not from the states. Somehow I keep playing it, though. And there is Heroes. As much as it pains me that my Heroes don't fly the US flag, I find the courage to continue loving the game. And Worms...let's say it doesn't have any American protagonists. They are worms, in Hastur's name - my team speaks like robots. Warcraft, Star Wars games, Castlevania, Mario, Assassin's Creed - franchises where the protagonist isn't from the States (yeah, Desmond isn't much of a protagonist).

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Let me put it this way: whenever I'm presented the choice of playing an American character, or a non-american character, I always go for the non-American, even if just for variety's sake.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Gear of War's protagonists aren't American, they're not even from earth. I think it's just the modern FPS genre that likes American heroes.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
How is this even a thing?

I very much doubt that there are any sensible American gamers who wouldn't play a game because the protagonist wasn't American.

That's just silly.
Only Caucasian Americans, too! I don't want any of those damn Mexicans, Asians, or Blacks! >:|

In all seriousness, I don't even tend to pay attention to a protagonist's race unless they are huge stereotypes of their race. Like if I'm playing a western and my player character is a Mexican riding a donkey with a huge sombrero.

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
ToTaL LoLiGe said:
Gear of War's protagonists aren't American, they're not even from earth. I think it's just the modern FPS genre that likes American heroes.
First you demonstrate that modern FPS games don't use American heroes. Then you conclude that modern FPS games use American heroes.

Come... again?

I actually think this is a lot less of a trend than it seems. Gears isn't American (although you'd be forgiven for thinking it was), Resistance: Fall of Man is British, half of the MW2 campaign was spent with Brits, half of the MW3 campaign was Brits and the other half was Russians, a few of the Battlefield 3 missions are as a Brit and a Russkie, Red Faction isn't on Earth, where does that leave us? Bioshock, Uncharted, and Fallout?

Hardly hallmarks of the FPS genre.

Regardless, there are far more foreigners out there, in our FPSes and out of them, than it might seem.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I very much doubt that there are any sensible American gamers who wouldn't play a game because the protagonist wasn't American.

That's just silly.
But some crazies might not decide to buy it, and it's not like they're going to attract new customers by saying "Hey look, space marine is Scandinavian now!" Or at least, this is how the business people see it.

Same reason you won't see a protagonist who's a ginger. They've got nothing to gain by making a ginger protagonist, and someone, somewhere might object and not buy. Maybe.

It basically boils down to two facts:
1.) Business people think your average, white, American has trouble relating to anything but average white Americans.
2.) Everybody else will still buy games featuring average, white, American protagonists.
3.) Business people hate losing money, even hypothetical money. So they're going to take the safest route possible.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
I'm still trying to figure out why "being an American" actually matters in the slightest. What, do you want them to put a disclaimer before the next CoD game saying "Actually, these characters here are immigrated Canadians"? What difference would it make? Heck, even if it was the Canadian Army it would still be a horde of grizzled middle-aged white guys with guns (and the token black commander voiced by an "aboot" saying Keith David).

The only thing that sets your average American apart from anyone else living in the first-world is the way we talk. That's it. There are no racial bonuses, no special background perks, nothing. Switching from Marines to SAS? Congrats, all those New York and Texan accents are now Nothern England and East Anglia. Whoop de doo.

The Last Melon said:
space marines with American accents out there?
Now, I may be a simple American, but if Warhammer 40k has taught me anything, it's that Space Marines sound like posh British gentlemen with giant sticks up their butt (but really, is there any other kind >_>)

pure.Wasted said:
where does that leave us? Bioshock, Uncharted, and Fallout?

Hardly hallmarks of the FPS genre.

Regardless, there are far more foreigners out there, in our FPSes and out of them, than it might seem.
And as far as they go, Nathan Drake is only "American" in that he is a white guy with a neutral accent. Bioshock's protagonist only speaks once, and
Isn't actually American
. Fallout is full of Americans, true, but it's not really marketed on that. As a matter of fact, I can't think of any respectable title that is marketed as "You are playing as Americans!". America's Army, maybe, but that's less marketing and more of a given.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
nikki191 said:
get out of here stalker.. oh yeah i have :D
I loved those games so much. I wish they made another one. ^_^

I would like to see different people in different roles.

Where is the FPS where I play as a regular Australian bloke shooting up mutants and such!?

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Well, I feel like a complete idiot now. I was largely referring to military shooters here; I was thinking of the Modern Warfare and Black Ops games which could be a little bit nauseatingly patriotic at times. Time to edit in a disclaimer...

pure.Wasted said:
P.S. a certain mutual acquaintance wanted me to refer you to a website that would get my account banned faster than you could say Heil Hitler. Let's say I did that.
What in the...since when did you post here?

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
The reason most game protagonists are 24-35 yr old male white "american" (in the sense that they are english speaking) is that the majority demographic of video game players is thought to be composed of 24-35 yr old male white americans

as for op I would buy any game that featured Canadians. As I have yet to find one if anyone knows of one please let me know.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
If you're referring to strictly military shooters, than I'd be hard pressed to name more than a few other than CoD and Battlefield. I think largely the problem that is causing this constriction in the miltary shooters is that are very few wars worth covering if you want to use semi-modern weaponry (WW2 being the main one). There was like you mentioned the segments in cod 3. Zombies in Cod: W@W let you play as a Russian, German, and Japanese character, and you got to play as a Russian in the campaign.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Ryotknife said:
Well...americans are not a race, but a group compromised of every race on the planet.

I would not mind playing a non-american in the slightest as long as the game is not full of cultural references i have no way of understanding. Like you said, CoD has a history of putting you in the shoes of non-americans. in fact the russian sections of the world war 2 CoD were probably my favorite.
When people say "Americans" what they REALLY mean is the Default Perfect White Character.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Hrm Ive played Killing floor, and I guess I always sort of assumed that everyone in it was British but I guess that might be entirely wrong.

But then again I also played GTAIV which yeah I had no problem controlling an eastern European. Controls handled pretty much like a Los Angelino to me.

Anyway, yeah, I would be interested in seeing more nationalities in different games as long as they are authentic, and not comical reproductions.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I already do.

I don't see how you can avoid doing so, unless you just play Call of Duty, single-player.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Excluding various characters who come from magical fantasy lands, I have played games as a British, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Irish, Chinese and Canadian protagonists just to list a few.

However I find the question posed by the OP an interesting one when viewed strictly through the eyes of the modern military shooter.
Would your average U.S gamer be comfortable playing a Military shooter where the Americans are not the primary heroes? If yes, what if they were the antagonists?

Sep 14, 2009
err...i do all the time? try every single game?

honestly, all this nationality talk bugs the fuck out of me, why the HELL do people care so much? I could be playing a one legged aboriginal with a blue nipple, and i wouldn't give a shit so long as it was a fun game!