Poll: Would you play a game about non-Americans?

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
Vault101 said:
uhhhh....assasins creed anyone? the fact this question has to be asked is downright insulting..to everyone

oh and Mass effect..what edidence is there to suggest any of the charachters are american? hell the climax takes place in london, no reason why just london (I think thats cool though)
I still find it weird that it says anderson was born in london yet anderson has one of the most strong american accents in the game (IMO)

OT: a game about the australian secret services (ASIO) would be cool especially since no one really knows much about them but some of the rumors sound crazy (of course all of it would be fictional because otherwise it may get boring as they are never armed)

Sep 14, 2009
Diddy_Mao said:
Excluding various characters who come from magical fantasy lands, I have played games as a British, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Irish, Chinese and Canadian protagonists just to list a few.

However I find the question posed by the OP an interesting one when viewed strictly through the eyes of the modern military shooter.
Would your average U.S gamer be comfortable playing a Military shooter where the Americans are not the primary heroes? If yes, what if they were the antagonists?
as an average white male american, i couldn't give a single fuck. sure if there is a "hero moment" in the game where an american character did something cool?

me and my friend, in a satirical way might do a " MERICUH, FUCK YEAH"

but beyond that one nanosecond, I couldn't give a single fuck. wouldn't entice me to buy the game in the slightest.

Ziggy109

Feb 20, 2010
I've played plenty of games starring non-Americans as the protagonists. What I'd really like to see, though, is a modern FPS starring the Canadian military. Because we're awesome. :D

pure.Wasted

Oct 12, 2011
Diddy_Mao said:
Excluding various characters who come from magical fantasy lands, I have played games as a British, Italian, Japanese, Spanish, Irish, Chinese and Canadian protagonists just to list a few.

However I find the question posed by the OP an interesting one when viewed strictly through the eyes of the modern military shooter.
Would your average U.S gamer be comfortable playing a Military shooter where the Americans are not the primary heroes? If yes, what if they were the antagonists?
The main bad guys of MW2 are American. The last two levels have you killing just American mercenaries.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
Not play as Americans? Madness. I have enough trouble trying to play as someone from the West Coast.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Pat8u said:
Vault101 said:
uhhhh....assasins creed anyone? the fact this question has to be asked is downright insulting..to everyone

oh and Mass effect..what edidence is there to suggest any of the charachters are american? hell the climax takes place in london, no reason why just london (I think thats cool though)
I still find it weird that it says anderson was born in london yet anderson has one of the most strong american accents in the game (IMO)

OT: a game about the australian secret services (ASIO) would be cool especially since no one really knows much about them but some of the rumors sound crazy (of course all of it would be fictional because otherwise it may get boring as they are never armed)
really? I think his accent actually does have a hint of british...udina on the other hand I had no Idea...I was palying ME3 the other day and though "fuck...is Udina Irish?!"

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
*Looks at the Assssin's Creed games*
I've been doing so for quite a while. One culd argue there is Desmond...but to be honest, there has been so fucking little focuse on Desmond in those games (The one character who isn't a twat, is actually interesting and has a decent sci-fi plot going on) he almost doesn't count.

Of course, I also couldn't give a shit who I play as or what happens as long as the story/premise are interesting/good, and the gameplay is solid.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
dessertmonkeyjk said:
Yeah, we do it all the time. Why do you ask?

Nobody seems to have any problem with an italian plummer.
Isn't Mario from Brooklyn?

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
What do you mean "Would I"? Ever play an Elder Scrolls game? A Mario Game? Dynasty Warriors? Most games from Japan? Any Star Wars game? Prince of Persia? God of War? Should I stop this now?

Actually, I don't think any Nintendo characters can be considered American... Is Hyrule the 51st U.S. state all of a sudden? I've never seen a wild gorilla around here anywhere. etc. etc. I think I've made my point. Just fur lulz.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
The only time i actually bother wondering where a character is from is if i can't understand him
because honestly i could care less where their from

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
Raika said:
dessertmonkeyjk said:
Yeah, we do it all the time. Why do you ask?

Nobody seems to have any problem with an italian plummer.
Isn't Mario from Brooklyn?
Alright you may have me there, but I hear an accent at the few moments that he does open his mouth. Not that I have a problem with that, but it kinda implies he's not from around here.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah, I mean who would want to play as, say, a British SAS agent? Oh, wait....

Or maybe a slavic gunman who comes TO America to find a man who wronged him? Oh wait ^ 2....

Yeah....

I don't understand what the OP is on about here. There are plenty of non-american protagonists. You'd really have to have your head in a bucket not to realize that.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well I'm not American, every game I play is someone of different nationality but is that even a thing? Do people, aside form the very occasional weirdo really have issues playing someone a different nationality to them?
I mean I can understand a style popular in one country not really making a connection with many people in another, cultural differences and all that jazz but refusing to play a game because of the protagonists nationality? That?s just silly.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
Well Link isn't American. I don't think Mario is an American. Commander Shepard can be born on another planet I think. And isn't Donkey Kong a gorilla? If he was from America, would he be an American? Are animals in America American? Can a nationality be applied to a non-human? Hmm, may need to start a thread on that topic.............where was I going with this? Oh yeah. To answer your question: Yes.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
I already do.

Nevermind the decidedly pro Japanese bias in JRPGs, here are some other non 'Mericans I play.

Kratos is Greek, although he is the whitest muthafukka in the game.

Lara Croft is British.

Ezio is Italian, Altair is Middle Eastern.

My favorite characters from Tekken are not American. King is From Mexico. Marduk is Australian.

Can you call any of the main characters from Fallout American because they were born long after America was destroyed

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, I'm not a huge fan of FPSes, military FPSes even less so.

So, in looking at in FPS terms, I wouldn't be any more inclined to play a military shooter with a non-American protagonist than I am to play one with an American protagonist.

As for other games in general, I have plenty where you don't play as an American, plenty where you don't even play as someone from Earth. The nationality of the protagonist is a non-issue in deciding my game purchases.