Poll: Would You Push The Button? (Moral Dilemma)

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
Oooh, a button! I gotta press it! I hear you saying something or other about consequences and rewards and morals and whatnot, but I'm too busy pressing this button here to listen to all that!

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
No.
Not even close. For quite a few reasons. Most importantly I feel that no one really has the right to decide to end life of an innocent person, especially if its just for personal gain especially not someone like me. Secondly, all of my immediate family are good people. I'm my father's only responsibility as he is not married nor does he have any other kids and all he's ever really done in life was support me I would quite literally go insane knowing that he's gone because of something I did. While my mother has more kids, my brother and sister rely completely on her for support and housing so I would be screwing them over more then me. My brother and sister are kids, five and thirteen, I don't think anyone should have to die that young.

franticfarken said:
A million is not enough money to live comfortably off of in the Western world.
I also have to agree with this statement as well. Even though I personally won't do it for any amount of money.

Lastly, well, I love my family in general more than I do money.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
No not for a family member. Family and friends are more important than money and I'd have to live the rest of my life knowing what I've done.

A random person I don't know? Fuck yeah! I wouldn't even hesitate.

This is how this situation would go down in my case.

Black Cloaked Figure: "Timothy. I will give you one million dollars if you press this button. But, be aware that in doing so one random person on earth will die-"

*PRESS*

Black Cloaked Figure: "Timothy... you didn't let me finish..."

Timothy: "Do I get more money if I keep pressing it?"

*PRESS*

*PRESS*

*PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS**PRESS*

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Wasn't the original dilemma "some random person" will die? Because in case of family it's to personal and risky, while in case of random person you might not even find out who was killed because of your decision. "Hell, maybe it was just a joke" you might think. But guilt is still there.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
The original moral dilemma was: Press the button, get a million and a random person somewhere on the world will die.

Aaaaand i'd say an astonishingly high amount of people would hit that button.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
I would immediatly call the police and probably even beat the living shit out of the person for threatening to kill my family.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
thaluikhain said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
No, not my family. I would be tempted if it was just a random person somewhere in the world, but no. Not my family.
Actually, I remember hearing about a TV show episode along those lines, and thought that would be what this was about.

A guy gets offered a button to press, if he presses it he gets the money, and someone he doesn't know dies. He thinks it over and decides to press it. After he does, he asks where the people will go next, and they say "To someone who doesn't know you".

(Or maybe it was the whole family, not just one person)

I'd have to say "no" to the original question. However, that is a really nasty question to ask someone. Everytime you're short of money, or see someone better off than you that you think shouldn't be...you'll remember your decision.
it was actually a movie, it started off really good, but by the end went a bit insane, the big "twist" was that whoever was picked WASN'T random, if you press the button, magical space alien angels from the government make your child blind, deaf and numb forever, the only way to cure them is to shoot your wife, whether or not you'll shoot is determined by the choice the next people make, the instant they push the button is the moment you kill your wife (because magic), and yes, I said "magical space alien angels from the government", the antagonists were aliens from space who worked in the CIA running an experiment on humanity and apparently have portals to heaven that they keep in random libraries, apparently so they can judge the true nature of humanity (for what it's worth, it's mentioned that NOBODY has resisted the button, gg humanity).

a-ha, found it! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362478/ The Box

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Wow, I haven't been to a carnival in years. I wouldn't press the button to kill a random person for $1 million let alone a family member. So my answer is no. Think I would just head over to the bumper cars instead.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I don't think this is a moral dilemma. A moral dilemma would be to ask if killing for money is justified. An example of a moral dilemma would be stealing medication for a dying loved one. This is just "Do you prefer money or your parents and siblings?"

Your Rival

Aug 11, 2013
Of course I would push it, I'm at a carnival game I'm not going to take anything the guy said seriously. And, I sure as hell don't believe in whatever curse he seems to be threatening my family with.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'm utterly unbending when it comes to money and something I don't want to do.
No amount of money could tempt me to risk loved ones.

Anyone else? Sure.
I'll hit the button as often as you want me to, if the possible targets exclude myself, my family, and my valued friends.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
So it's a carnival and some random performer tells me that hes got a million dollars for me.. I would push it and demand my money ASAP. Then i would laugh it off and walk away since i don't believe in that kind of nonsense.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Knowing my luck I'd trip and accidentally push the button.
Though I wouldn't push it by choice, as much as my sister and I fight, I wouldn't want her dead.

If I could push a button that would give my sister a minor electric shock and me a few pounds, I'd have to save it for when it was really funny. Like when she goes off on a rant...

Sister:BLAH BLAH BLAH MY OPINION IS RIGHT, YOU'RE SICK FOR NOT AGREEING WITH ME, BLAH BLA-
"BZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT" says the buzzer.
"-AAAAAAAAAAARRRGH"

Yeah, that'd be cool...

Hmm. I might have to buy a shock collar.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
Honestly, I was expecting it to be "a random person dies and you get an unlimited amount of money", and if that was the situation, I STILL wouldn't do it. Why? 'Cause I don't want to FUCKING KILL ANYONE, never mind personal gain. The fact this situation is meant to be morally ambiguous has always struck me as a bit psychopathic. I guess it's supposed to answer the question, "Would you kill someone for money if it was as easy as pushing a button?" The whole point is that you don't have to deal with the repercussions of your action. (Which, for me, doesn't take away from the fact that at the end of the day, I've still murdered someone in cold blood)

Making it a family member causes the whole thing to become kind of redundant, because you DO have to deal with the repurcussions. They DIRECTLY effect you in an extremely negative way. Who would ever do that, especially for such a (relatively) small amount?[footnote]I say that because we're speaking in hypotheticals, i.e., imaginary situations. And a million dollars is not the biggest amount of money that I can imagine.[/footnote]
Shanicus said:
This is just a 'How terrible has your family treated you?' button, which would probably make a lot of people realize that they have pretty good families and other people realize they have horrible families.
Also, yes.