Poll: Would You Push The Button? (Moral Dilemma)

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
First off, my answer would be no. The only thing that could make me say yes is that I would have to use that money to help other people but even then, even though its for the greater good I couldn't. Second, I find it cute all the people who said yes. Sure, your dad might have been a dick, sure you might think of yourself as a horrible person, but I doubt any of the people here would be able to succumb to murder, even for a million dollars. But still, its cute :)

Annihilist

Feb 19, 2013
I honestly don't know. Is having one extra family member worth that much financial hardship? A million dollars can make quite a difference in the long term if invested effectively. Imagine not having to work day in, day out, just to stay alive, only to die eventually anyway. After all, our life is the only life we get, and we might as well do whatever we can to enjoy it as much as possible. How often is one presented with such an opportunity?

On the other hand, on contemplating death, it seems cruel to wish that upon someone else. I would not classify it as murder because it's indirect, but it's still malicious to a certain extent and it's willingly allowing someone to die. Cessation of consciousness is not something I would want anyone to go through, and certainly not because of a decision I made. It would feel as though the money I "earned" would be blood money and, having never known someone who has died, I have no idea how I could deal with that.

So I don't know. There are arguments on both sides, and pretending otherwise is dishonest.

I would ask where this guy got his assets, to me that seems more interesting.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
As awful as some of my family members are, nothing they have done is truly deserving of death. The good things they have done outweigh the bad stuff. As such, I wouldn't push the button.

cridia

Aug 2, 2009
No. But for a rather different reason though.

I would never believe that button could even do either one of the two, so since that would be my train of thought, I would completely ignore the guy and his button. If for some reason this was somehow common technology in this world, with guys on every corner having a button to casually give you money for killing off a family member, then I seriously don't know what I would do, simply because in that world there would be a good possibility that my values would be entirely different.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Can I press it twice to get 2 million and inheritance?

For serious though probably not, but maybe I'd go back there when they were getting old.

Hieronymusgoa

Dec 27, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I would not do it for any amount of money.

Even if you switched it up and said that it could be anyone in the world, I wouldn't press the button. Just because I'm not killing them with a gun doesn't mean I'm not pulling the trigger here...

Short of knowing that the button pressing would kill some death row psycho or something similar, I would never push that button.
completely agree. 'nuff said

Aariana

Apr 10, 2010
Yes, I'd push it. I'd push it multiple times. My mother was emotionally abusive, my father was unmedicated bipolar and also physically abusive, my sister was a spoiled little *****, and my brother was the type of person who thought physical threats were the way to make friends. I hate them all, and I would gladly push the button to get rid of them. Hell, I'll do it for free if it means I won't be incarcerated.

Sep 14, 2009
DugMachine said:
For a million? No. Not even for a billion. Now.. if I could CHOOSE which family member that's a completely different story. But random? The risk is too high no matter how much money.
this, plus i am curious if you mean blood relation or legal relation

(a.k.a. my father by blood is a scumbag and he'd be making up for what a waste of space he is by giving me money, my actual family however? not even 10000000000000000000000000000000 gajillion dollars would get me to press that button)

alliesabri

Jun 30, 2010
It may be cliche, but I simply wouldn't because I don't think life could be less important than money. And the obvious fact that its entirely selfish.
However, in a utilitarianism way of thinking, perhaps if there was a situation where the money could save the lives of multiple people (pay for their surgery to live or something like that)then perhaps it could be morally justified. Even so, I don't think I could live with myself after I did it.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
I would push it as many times as I can and throw away the money. The world needs fewer humans in it.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
No, I wouldn't. Ten million would tempt me, and I'd do it for a hundred million.

If it were a random person anywhere in the world, I'd tap it six or seven times. People die almost every second for any or no reason... it's not that much of an impact, and first and foremost I would put that money right into saving the lives of six or seven people to karmatically balance the action.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
It's said people are just as happy whether they be rich or poor. Studies have been done on 'synthetic happyness' that being said I do believe one million would make me happier, however lifelong guilt sounds kind of shitty.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Flutterguy said:
If it would be either of my parents... If I push twice do I get two million?
I like the way you think. It's a shame I only have one brother, so 3 million is all I could get.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't push that button, that's not really a dilemma if you ask me. Maybe if I could choose who would die...

Quick edit: I'm surprised so many voted yes. People here just seem so nice, now they're killing mom and dad for 1 million dollars.

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Wintermute said:
Flutterguy said:
If it would be either of my parents... If I push twice do I get two million?
I like the way you think. It's a shame I only have one brother, so 3 million is all I could get.

Anyway, no, I wouldn't push that button, that's not really a dilemma if you ask me. Maybe if I could choose who would die...

Quick edit: I'm surprised so many voted yes. People here just seem so nice, now they're killing mom and dad for 1 million dollars.
Thing with me is, if I push it three times and get my mother, sister and her son - my three closest relatives - I also inherit their combined estates of around 1.5 million, so I get like a 50% bonus package deal.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
This seems relevant:

Jokes aside; No. I love my family. Truth be told, I'm more likely to try to deck the person suggesting it[footnote]The one in the scenario, not you, RJ[/footnote] than press the button. The idea is that anathema to me.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Nope. Really wouldn't lose much sleep over this, heck just last month my family narrowly missed out on possibly becoming overnight millionaires so even the sensation of missing out on big life changing amounts of cash wouldn't be new to me.