Poll: Would You Rather - Superpowers

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Assuming I can teleport out of the wall when stuck, without dying or being injured, teleportation. It would be extremely useful, in day-to-day life and for travelling. I'd save a lot of money on transit, and I could avoid the legal troubles that I might get into while flying or running at superspeed. Otherwise flying, because it's more subtle and less likely to get me killed than superspeed (Imagine dodging cars in a busy city with superspeed, ugh).

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
HBMK said:
2. You mean "brakes," I assume. I'm not a grammar nazi, this just stopped me for a beat. Does this simply mean you can't stop on a dime, or something more sinister?
I think he means you have to stop applying forward momentum and slow down naturally, you can't just stop yourself dead or even with a short break area.

As for myself, I'd go with teleportation and just make sure I aim for a field or park near where I want to go.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Ack, flying or teleportation... flying or teleportation... I think I'd go with flying, despite my terror for heights. Once I learn how to do it properly it'd still get me places fast without the chance of ending up splinched into a wall or something.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Flight because it's the best choice out of the three.

Superspeed is kinda pointless because I don't have the income to go to the places that I really want given the fact that I should have been there beforehand.

And with Teleportation I'm not taking the chance of getting stuck in a wall no matter how low of a chance.

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Human teleportation, molecular breakdown and reformation is inherently awesome
I would very much appreciate being able to instańtly go to gran canaria

Nathan Crumpler

Sep 1, 2011
I would have to go with teleportation. Two things that were not specified: whether going into a wall would kill me and whether I could immediately teleport out of the wall upon finding myself in side of one. I think, given the limitations, that teleportation would be the most useful. I would save people money by not having to buy return flight tickets and after the first time, I can take them back and forth at a tenth of the original price. This will make up for having to buy two one way flights, instead of one two way flights.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This is kind of one-sided. Had it not been for the "no proper brakes" I'd take superspeed hands down, but without that the only logical option is flight, since while you'd need to learn how to use it, you can still use it. That against instant death by inertia or teleporting yourself into a solid object (0.005% chance means I'm pretty much assured to do so after 20,000 teleports, and that will happen eventually) it's the only logical option if only due to the fact it isn't going to inherently kill you.

That being aside: had this been a fair fight between the three powers without the drawbacks I'd take superspeed. Flight is nice and all, but superspeed will still get you there, and you can use superspeed to do a lot of interesting hero and villain things in confined spaces that neither other power allows for.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
given your limitations I say flying but if teleporting only to open fields (or places like that) eliminates its downside then I go for that instead.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
HBMK said:
Superspeed but there are no proper breaks
I second Zachary Amaranth's question about what "proper breaks" means. Until I know that, I tentatively choose speed. There is not enough time in the day.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'll take flying. If it means I don't have to drive again I'll put up with learning how to fly. I have absolutely control (unlike super speed) and, there's no risk of glitching through a wall...flying into a wall would be a problem of course but I'm lucky enough to live in the middle of nowhere.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
HBMK said:
You have a choice of three superpowers, you have to choose one:

1: Flying at sonic speeds, but you receive no training, you have to learn how to use it

2: Superspeed but there are no proper breaks

3: Teleportation, but you have to have been to the place you are teleporting to and there is a 0.05% chance that you will teleport inside a wall.

possible death,

certain death

certain death

hmm ill take possible death please!

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
What happens when you teleport into something that's not air? If that body part gets severed off then to hell with teleportation. You could still completely screw yourself by teleporting waist deep in the soil! So yeah, probably flight with these options, though I'd still run out of places to rob even at 0.05%.

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Teleportation is the only one of those that would be sort of useful without complementary powers. Flying is fun and all, but you'd break your legs trying to land, and the air resistance would probably be a huge problem at high speeds. Super speed has the same problem with air resistance, except to a much greater extent. Also, I'm assuming that the super speed only affects your actual movement speed and not your reaction time, in which case you'd be unable to avoid obstacles once you got above a certain speed limit.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Flight was the only survivable choice. If not for that, I'd choose either superspeed or teleportation - even with the 'had to be there before' limit, I remember Jumper and almost every teleporter in comics ever. It would be awesome.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Ubiquitous Duck said:
Flying, absolutely everytime ever.

You could even factor in a 20% chance that I would veer off into a pile of manure every 5 seconds and I would still go for the manure-covered flight experience over superspeed and teleporting or any other power, any day.
Exactly what I'd say. Flying would simply be just too awesome.

Being really fast - or even being able to teleport - wouldn't be able to touch it.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Only one movie has ever made teleporting look cool and that was Jumper. That kind of teleporting I'm not seeing advertised here. So my choice would be flight because man wants to fly. As fun as being The Flash would be flight would be cooler because you could also use it to make yourself look like a freaking ninja.