Poll: Would you rather...

whitelye

Oct 9, 2008
Death would surly be the sweetest thing after a thousand years of torture. Sweeter than all the pleasures of heaven and Earth combined and experienced for eons of time. Still, think of all you could know and learn if you were to never die. You would be God. I think I'm gonna go with eternal youth.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
needausername said:
notyouraveragejoe said:
I'm going for be tortured for a thousand years. The single reason I couldn't do the live forever thing is because I see all my loved ones die and then I love again and they die...I wouldn't be able to handle it.
You would still see them die, its 1000 years.
I get that but eventually at the end of those years I die. If I live forever and I keep falling in love then I will constantly be in pain (I care a lot and will care a lot about everyone I fall in love with so falling in love and having them die again and again would be constant torture. Damn... run on sentence...well it's almost midnight and I've been studying for exams all day so I'll give myself a break).

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Molikroth said:
Senn - I know that. However, being unable to die is a distinct advantage if the goal is worl domination. For example, revealing my immortality to a select few (skinheads, the easily impressed, etc) and having them carry out my orders would mean an instant army of minions.
Hmm, skinheads wouldn't immeadiately be my demographic of choice seeing they would look at you as someone they could keep beating up in their little hideouts without you dying, and you'd still be in constant pain.
Being immortal doesn't immeadiately make you the iron man, and seeing as I'm not the buffest guy around I'd think twice before introducing myself as an immortal live punching bag to some degenerates of society.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
It's like someone above said, immortality would lead to riches, power, etc. I'd probably spend a few centuries obtaining wealth and ingratiating myself into powerful families and keeping them powerful. Over the millenia I'd work up influence and feasibly be the "man behind the curtain" for all eternity.

Alternatively, or perhaps for the first few milennia before I do anything else, I'd just wander the planet exploring, learning languages, being exposed to new cultures, etc etc etc.

foolishnun

Oct 18, 2008
Molikroth said:
It's like someone above said, immortality would lead to riches, power, etc. I'd probably spend a few centuries obtaining wealth and ingratiating myself into powerful families and keeping them powerful. Over the millenia I'd work up influence and feasibly be the "man behind the curtain" for all eternity.

Alternatively, or perhaps for the first few milennia before I do anything else, I'd just wander the planet exploring, learning languages, being exposed to new cultures, etc etc etc.
Wow. Imagine having all the time in the world to see it all. You could learn so much. Slowly become a master of every musical instrument you can find. I think the first few thousand years would be pretty good.

But, everyone you know would die. all the time. I don't think that would get easier. Look at war veterans. The memories of seeing their comrades die sticks with them till the end. And if there never was an end, you might just pile up all these demons, maybe turn to drugs... and eventually there wouldn't be anywhere left to see, not necessarily because you've seen it all, it might just not be there anymore. The Earth I mean.

I keep getting turned around on this. I still can't decide!

Lord_Of_Plum

Apr 5, 2008
I would live forever, and when I wanted to die, I would spite the rules and surgically remove the part of my brain that controls my conscious. Therefore, I'd still be alive, but without any conscious.

Take that, immortality!

Ken Korda

Nov 21, 2008
Live forever learly. Even after all humanity was gone and I had seen all the amazing sights of the universe I could just lose my mind and create my own immortal friends to keep me company. I can go insane right?

Stevato

Oct 3, 2008
Immortality would be alot better than 1000 years of torture (i can imagine that stinging a bit)

However, the problem with living forever is that... people would realise, i could go far enough to say you would be recruited as some killing machine for the military.. but thats pure imagination.

I suppose if you had done something terribly wrong in order to deserve to get tortured, if you chose immortality youl would have to spend the whole of eternity wondering the earth crushed by guilt and shame.

Kinda reminds me of that poem we're studying in English at college. The Rime of the Ancient Mariner tells of a ancient sailor who is immortal and walks the earth telling his story of how he caused the death of his entire crew... Off the subject i know but i assumed if you were to tortured for 1000 years you must of done something to deserve it.

I mean you'd have to make someone really mad if they wanted to torute you for 10x their own lifetime

foolishnun

Oct 18, 2008
Lord_Of_Plum said:
I would live forever, and when I wanted to die, I would spite the rules and surgically remove the part of my brain that controls my conscious. Therefore, I'd still be alive, but without any conscious.

Take that, immortality!
That would be an injury, and you can't get injured.

Take that, cheater!

Doomhammer828

Oct 24, 2008
I would pick death over etenal life because if Richelle Mead Georgina Kincaid books (Succubus Blues, on top, Dreams) have taught me anything it's that living forever is very painful.

Lord_Of_Plum

Apr 5, 2008
foolishnun said:
Lord_Of_Plum said:

Take that, immortality!
That would be an injury, and you can't get injured.

Take that, cheater!
Fine, fine.
I guess then I would choose 1000 years of torture. Because the human mind works the way it does, I would go insane, and would be practically numb to a large part of my torture. Say, after 100 years, my sanity would definitely run out. And agree with whitelye. Death would surely set me free in a chorus of bliss.

Molikroth

Nov 1, 2008
foolishnun said:
But, everyone you know would die. all the time. I don't think that would get easier. Look at war veterans. The memories of seeing their comrades die sticks with them till the end. And if there never was an end, you might just pile up all these demons, maybe turn to drugs... and eventually there wouldn't be anywhere left to see, not necessarily because you've seen it all, it might just not be there anymore. The Earth I mean.

I keep getting turned around on this. I still can't decide!
I don't get attached to people easily. Doubtless throughout the millenia there'd be people I'd care for but eventually I'd get used to loss - and eventually I might obtain the power to grant biological immortality. One of the first things I'd do as Shadowy Puppet Master Of The World would be to obtain all the current labs currently researching life-extension and increase their funding a thousandfold. Of course I'd patent the technology and have everyone who knew about it but me killed, and grant immortality to those I felt deserved it.

EDIT: Also, it occurs to me, granting immortality to those I liked would change the whole experience. Sharing millenia with someone and showing them what you'd learned, etc etc etc, would not only be a new experience but it'd get rid of the loneliness thing. At least until the person was killed considering he/she would only be biologically immortal and not unkillable like me.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Immortality any day I would live forever, experience everything and bring the entire world to its knees under my command. It would be fun, as for watching loved ones day I would not care in the least, I only go with people to get something from them, but being immortal I would be able to get everything for myself anyway, also you could claim yourself better then god which is always a good thing

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
An eternity of being alone would drive you insane, meaning that your situation wouldn't mean anything to you. I wouldn't be able to endure a thousand years of torture, so I'd have to opt for living forever...

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
foolishnun said:
a) Be tortured for 1,000 years in agonizing pain, and then die.
So am I to assume that I cannot die at all during this time and that my captores can also not die during this time?

waffletaco

Sep 5, 2008
darkstone said:
Xvito said:
I'd choose to live forever.
Also I'm pretty sure that if the sun exploded and you were floating through space, you'd go into a state of coma.
not to mention being turned into a Popsicle due to the freezing temperatures of deep space.
Isn't the temperature in space relative to how close you are to the sun? Wouldn't you burn if you left earth's atmosphere but freeze near Pluto(you'd probably freeze way before pluto but you get my point).

nikomas1

Jul 3, 2008
Immortality, Id get a gun and kill of some people I hate, Then declare myself the dictator of Earth and claim I'm godsend or something. Then id shoot myself in the head on live TV to prove that I'm indeed entitled to rule the earth, Then say that if anyone doubts me "Bring a weapon and try to kill me". Otherwise id slowly destroy the world.

Yes I know what you said about still feeling pain but you wouldn't really take any damage right? After all from what I know pain is something the body uses to tell you that you are hurt. But if you never actually get hurt the human body would have no reason to tell you by hurting.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I would have to say immortal, considering that according to your rules there is nothing prhoibiting the assumption that our wounds heal instantly. Even if we get hurled into space, the likelyhood of hitting another planet is so high eventually that I wouldn't mind.
Sennz0r said:
foolishnun said:
Molikroth said:
I'd choose immortality, and subjugate this world. I'd have my minions study interstellar travel in preparation for the destruction of this solar system; hopefully by the time that happens I'll have arranged alternate accomodation and time-wasting amusements elsewhere.
I like this idea. I said torture but I this is making me think again... It's be like that Futurama episode where Bender amuses himself while flying through space by acting as god to a colony of aliens living on his chest.
I don't think that's the way this immortality thing rolls. You won't actually become all-powerful and get the ability to play god. You'll just be like you are right now (or how you were/will be at 25), only incapable of dying.
In the episode, Bender hits an asteroid while he's floating, and a race of tiny people starts growing on him, and they worship him as a god.