Poll: Would you rather...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I'm just asking because I'm curious, I had this discussion with a couple friends of mine, and they each picked differently.

My one friend picked the friend that has everything, because that person would be really great to have around; need money for something? That friend just gives you all the money you need and you don't have to pay them back. Want to go somewhere? That friend just takes you there on their private jet. Want to fly to the moon? That friend just takes you there with their rocket. They literally have everything (within logical reason, no portal guns or time machines).

My other friend picked the friend that knows everything, because that person would be really great to be around; want to know how to pick up a girl? That friend will tell you how. Want to know how to get rich? That friend will tell you how. That friend literally knows everything (again within logical reason, they don't know how to make a time machine).

Keep in mind that the friend that doesn't know anything, isn't just stupid, they are 100% ignorant. They don't know how to open doors, how to put on clothes, how to cook food. They can learn, but when you meet them, they are like a new born child almost. They know how to walk, but just imagine they've had a butler do everything for them in life.

The friend that doesn't have anything, is like Kyle Reese from Terminator 1 when he travels back in time, they don't have anything when you meet them.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'd get the friend who has everything, because he would be able to fetch me the guy who knows everything pretty much instantly.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
I think I'd rather pick the friend who knows everything.

I'd hate for the friend who has everything to feel as though I'm using them because of all the stuff they have.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
This thread seems to be based on the pre-requisite that 'knowledge' isn't a possession and has no material value...

I disapprove... -.-

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
I'd have to pick the friend with infinite knowledge. I love learning new things, and to have access to that much knowledge in the form of a good friend sounds intriguing.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
both would be pretty crap.. they would either brag about owning everything and try to prove they are smarter than you, or they would envy you but tell you off for wasting money on material goods

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Ahri said:

I'd hate for the friend who has everything to feel as though I'm using them because of all the stuff they have.
Yeah, a little bit of this, but also I don't like taking things for free, I prefer to pay for things or give something in return for either favours or things. I also imagine I could learn a lot from someone who knows everything and have some delightful discussions. Knowing everything doesn't mean you have all the answers.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
Well, the one who knows everything will find the closest cache of buried treasure, use it to invest in the stock market, and get great wodges of cash to get whatever he wants that can be bought.

The one who has everything won't know where the keys to his grand mansion are, won't know the passwords to his bank accounts, and will find a Nigerian prince down on his luck who just needs a very small fee of everything to get to the two-hundred everythings he's got in his bank account (of which the guy of course deserves his fair share of...)

It may be also hard to communicate with him if he doesn't know a language, either.

I'll leave everyone here in suspense about my personal pick.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
Esotera said:
I'd get the friend who has everything, because he would be able to fetch me the guy who knows everything pretty much instantly.
Conversely the guy that knows everything should know how to get whatever you need. Really as soon as the have one of these things the other just takes a little time.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
This thread seems to be based on the pre-requisite that 'knowledge' isn't a possession and has no material value...

I disapprove... -.-
Well I meant that they have no physical objects, hence my comparison to Reese.
Ahri said:

For the sake of argument, assume they get along with you perfectly fine and because they have so much stuff, they don't mind giving you stuff. Maybe they are just a very giving person and love helping people out? /shrug
racrevel said:
both would be pretty crap.. they would either brag about owning everything and try to prove they are smarter than you, or they would envy you but tell you off for wasting money on material goods
For the sake of this topic, assume that you get along with the person perfectly (that is why they are your best friend) and you get along with you as well as your current best friend, or if you don't have a best friend, as well as Sean Plott or Wil Wheaton.
Kilo24 said:
Well, the one who knows everything will find the closest cache of buried treasure, use it to invest in the stock market, and get great wodges of cash to get whatever he wants that can be bought.

The one who has everything won't know where the keys to his grand mansion are, won't know the passwords to his bank accounts, and will find a Nigerian prince down on his luck who just needs a very small fee of everything to get to the two-hundred everythings he's got in his bank account (of which the guy of course deserves his fair share of...)

It may be also hard to communicate with him if he doesn't know a language, either.

I'll leave everyone here in suspense about my personal pick.
They aren't THAT ignorant. Its like the "spoiled rich kid" archetype you see a lot, the one where the kid has never talked to anyone but their butler, has never been around other people, and has just been in their house. They aren't about to lose all of their money to some scam (partially because they are just that wealthy) because their butler handles their money and protects it for them.

I could have asked, "would you rather have a friend that has infinite knowledge or infinite material goods" but that has more loopholes to explain, and instead of answering the question, people would be going "well what about..." all the time. I kind of asked that, but I limited enough so what each friend has isn't quite "infinite"

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
The one who has everything I could leech off whilst being intellectually superior and hopefully getting to be some kind of guru type figure to them. The other one could teach me many useful things in return for me letting them borrow stuff...

I'd go with the second one. Knowing things and learning to do things is more fulfilling than having things.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
I already have a friend that knows everything. It's called the Internet. :3

Friend who has everything. That I ain't got. Would be nice to have though. :p

farbrorbla

Jan 14, 2013
"Someone that has everything but knows nothing"
Simply because i can't stand smart-asses thats out to correct me all the time

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
So in other words: would I rather befriend Hermaeus Mora or Paris Hilton? Yeah, I'll go with the former, largly because if I had access to all knowledge, I would eventually be able to call upon the real-world cheat menu. Then I'd have everything as well!

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'd go with knows everything, assuming they don't act like it and aren't an asshole. I'm a librarian and work with other librarians and everyone acts like they're motherfucking Stephen Hawking or god's gift to the earth. It pisses me off beyond belief.

If they act like most people I know who are smart... I'll take the person that's dumb as a brick. Much mroe fun to be around.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Infinite knowledge. Get rich using his knowledge, then use his knowledge to rapidly advance science. Then maybe take over the world using a clone army.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
The friend who knows everything.
Some really interesting conversations could arise!

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
Torrasque said:
I'm just asking because I'm curious, I had this discussion with a couple friends of mine, and they each picked differently.

My one friend picked the friend that has everything, because that person would be really great to have around; need money for something? That friend just gives you all the money you need and you don't have to pay them back. Want to go somewhere? That friend just takes you there on their private jet. Want to fly to the moon? That friend just takes you there with their rocket. They literally have everything (within logical reason, no portal guns or time machines).

My other friend picked the friend that knows everything, because that person would be really great to be around; want to know how to pick up a girl? That friend will tell you how. Want to know how to get rich? That friend will tell you how. That friend literally knows everything (again within logical reason, they don't know how to make a time machine).

Keep in mind that the friend that doesn't know anything, isn't just stupid, they are 100% ignorant. They don't know how to open doors, how to put on clothes, how to cook food. They can learn, but when you meet them, they are like a new born child almost. They know how to walk, but just imagine they've had a butler do everything for them in life.

The friend that doesn't have anything, is like Kyle Reese from Terminator 1 when he travels back in time, they don't have anything when you meet them.
I guess I'd say the friend that has nothing, because I kinda have a friend for each, and I always prefer the the one that knows everything, they can be more understanding. Then again, the downside (you may want to add to your description) is that the friend that knows everything might also be the kind that insist on correcting you all. the. damn. time. Which can be kind of patronizing.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
A huge part of me that doesn't want to do anything, but have fun. Really be nothing more than a money sponge for the guy. Could give me enough money to buy a house and a cool car. Could be that rich prick that everybody hates because he didn't do anything to deserve it. Have over the top parties with just my friends, they could not bring their girlfriends. I would say no to every girl that would step forward, wanting a piece of my money. Eventually the guy who knows nothing could be filled with bullcrap lies and good times would be had by all.