Poll: Would You Shoot Enemies Helping Their Wounded?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
Yopaz said:
Salad Is Murder said:
Yopaz said:
I'm a pacifist so my answer is no, I wouldn't shoot anyone ever. Wounded, saving anyone who's wounded, armed and ready. I would shoot none of those. I might have been able to show someone who was going to kill me, but I'm not even sure if I could do that, even if it only meant wounding him.
I'm curious...maybe you can answer since you're a pacifist. Would you hurt or kill to save your life or someone else's, or is it like the Champions (Sorry, Hero System 5th Edition) 50pt Total Commitment, Never Ever?
Tough questions since I haven't been in a situation like that before. In the most extreme I might have been able to hurt someone, but I think I would be unable to kill intentionally. I just can't be sure, sorry.
Don't sweat it, I'm not trying to challenge your beliefs or anything, just always wondered.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Well, since you clarified that it's in a video game? Absolutely. Because chances are the game is programmed to refill that enemy unit's health off to the side, then send him right back into the fray to add more obstacles to my path. I'd shoot the two NPCs hauling him, then I'd shoot his wailing self until the recorded audio cut out.

In a real battle situation? I can't answer that with certainty. In my mind I'd say yes for the same reasons as in a game, but I've learned just by living that some moral quandries that seem easy in your mind are much harder to follow through on in reality.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
If I had too, yes. But, I would probally shoot the wounded, sounds harsh and imorral, but it is better than shooting the guys distracted by saving people...

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
that would depend on a factors:a)how evil they are. b)have they done anything to me or my people. c)how many bullets i have left. d)what kind of slodier they are(average grunt soldier, medic, special ops.) e)if they are human or aliens

MrA

Jul 26, 2009
razelas said:
[sub][/sub] I'm not talking about in real life, just in video games.
Wait we're talking video games? FUCK YEAH I WOULD! it's a game. One less guy to kill me later. Unless he respawns...

Now in real life, the answer is still probably yes, but I would hesitate and maybe not even go through with it, depends on the circumstance.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Salad Is Murder said:
Yopaz said:
Salad Is Murder said:
Yopaz said:
I'm a pacifist so my answer is no, I wouldn't shoot anyone ever. Wounded, saving anyone who's wounded, armed and ready. I would shoot none of those. I might have been able to show someone who was going to kill me, but I'm not even sure if I could do that, even if it only meant wounding him.
I'm curious...maybe you can answer since you're a pacifist. Would you hurt or kill to save your life or someone else's, or is it like the Champions (Sorry, Hero System 5th Edition) 50pt Total Commitment, Never Ever?
Tough questions since I haven't been in a situation like that before. In the most extreme I might have been able to hurt someone, but I think I would be unable to kill intentionally. I just can't be sure, sorry.
Don't sweat it, I'm not trying to challenge your beliefs or anything, just always wondered.
No worries, I myself wonder how far it stretches. It's not that I am against violence, it's more that some part of me cringes by the thought of actually hurting someone. Sure, I might box or wrestle some friends, but the thought of actually inflicting pain makes me uneasy.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
thaluikhain said:
Shooting wounded (and down) soldiers, or medics bearing the red cross logo is a war crime.
Yeah, exactly this. There is reason why medics wear the red cross, and it isn't to make themselves a better target.

Chances are no one is going to know who shoot the medics, and if they did they probably wouldn't be able to prove it, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I'd killed some medics. Maybe the person they wear tending too was already far too gone for treatment, but maybe they would have helped someone who would probably spend the rest of the war in a hospital, but would at least go back to their family and/or significant other. Not to mention the families of the medics themselves. That, nah, that doesn't sit well with me.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, you know what they say:
War knows no bounds.

Besides, that fucking medic keeps overhealing the fucking heavy. Asshole is going down.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Let's see if I let them help their wounded, said wounded person would have yet another chance to kill me.

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
in real life hell no even if there was a chance that wounded man could come back and kill me I'd let him go.

As for a video game yeah man without hesitation. distinction between the two is obvious

Red Alastor

Apr 8, 2010
In a real life situation, you rarely want to kill, you want to disable the adversary. A wonded adversary would be off the field for months. If it's a long running war, I'll make sure to finish off the others when possible, but if the meds make it to him, he's safe... at least in my book.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
a game: hell yeah! a kill is a kill!
IRL: no, I keep myself with honor codes (like never shooting a guy in the back)
OT
how do you type this?

thelastgentleman

Sep 16, 2010
This poll stat. sickens me. Im in the medical field and I have worked with plenty of field officers. So what im about to say comes from a very close and knowledgeable source achem...NO FIELD SURGEON, PRIEST, OR MEDIC IS ALLOWED TO CARRY A WEAPON!!!!! (if you follow the Geneva Convention...if not SAME ON YOU!!!) would you really harm a person whose only job is to heal???
Same on you Escapists I am dissapint :( Even if they come back to harm you in the future can we have no humanity? Even in War?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
In real life yes I would, he's helping the enemy so he gets shot.
In games yes I do, because as in real life he exists to help the enemy and my goals of destroying the enemy conflict with his so he must go.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Not an unarmed guy helping out wounded people, even if he was helping enemys. However, I would gladly shoot the wounded soldier in the face, along with all of his squad.

Why let him go? He's more than likely just shot at me with the intent to kill. I'm returning the bloody favor

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fire Daemon said:
thaluikhain said:
Shooting wounded (and down) soldiers, or medics bearing the red cross logo is a war crime.
Yeah, exactly this. There is reason why medics wear the red cross, and it isn't to make themselves a better target.

Chances are no one is going to know who shoot the medics, and if they did they probably wouldn't be able to prove it, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that I'd killed some medics. Maybe the person they wear tending too was already far too gone for treatment, but maybe they would have helped someone who would probably spend the rest of the war in a hospital, but would at least go back to their family and/or significant other. Not to mention the families of the medics themselves. That, nah, that doesn't sit well with me.
Well, that and the other reason wartime conventions were created, it's not supposed to just be one side playing nice. If you abide by the rules, the enemy are more likely to as well, whereas atrocities tend to lead to reprisals and escalation. If nothing else, it makes good propaganda material if you can catch the other side doing it.