Poll: Would you trade the ability to have children for immortality?

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
I'd would absolutely say YES. I'd love to be around to see the time when black and white join together and gang up on green ;-)

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
Trade something I can't do for something I really want?
I think it's a bit of a no-brainer to be honest.
(I answered yes by the way)

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Hrm... wake up at 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 am when I have to be at work around 8am every night or.... Just pretty much be immortal. . . . . I'd have time to complete skyrim AND learn an instrument.

Whiee yes I would x3

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
JoJoDeathunter said:
No, I'd like children one day and I don't want to live forever plus if many people took this immortality pill it would destroy society. Think of all the benefits that are brought in by each new generation, less prejudiced and better adapted for the world they are born in, a world of immortals would be terribly boring as it would be completely static and nothing would ever change.

Also for those who are saying they would adopt, orphans aren't an unlimited supply, there may sadly be a massive surplus of them now but if suddenly a large section of the population becomes voluntarily sterile then those orphans are going to be snapped up pretty quickly and there won't many more afterwards due the said sterility.
Exactly this.

But mainly it's cause I really want kids in my life.

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Fuck no. Immortality is over rated and I am a family man, not to mention it would lead to stagnation. In my mind it is better to prep the road for those that come after then to live forever and stagnate.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
I would and I would love it. Don't think I could adopt though. Outliving all your children would kinda suck and being world famous wouldn't leave me time to care for them. Not that I really wanna adopt them anyway.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
Captain Pirate said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
No, I'd like children one day and I don't want to live forever plus if many people took this immortality pill it would destroy society. Think of all the benefits that are brought in by each new generation, less prejudiced and better adapted for the world they are born in, a world of immortals would be terribly boring as it would be completely static and nothing would ever change.

Also for those who are saying they would adopt, orphans aren't an unlimited supply, there may sadly be a massive surplus of them now but if suddenly a large section of the population becomes voluntarily sterile then those orphans are going to be snapped up pretty quickly and there won't many more afterwards due the said sterility.
Exactly this.

But mainly it's cause I really want kids in my life.
No orphans=Bad? and only the escapists would be immortal. I'm sure that Escapists are more than able to change with the times.

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
Do I have to pick one? I don't really want either...

EDIT:
JoesshittyOs said:
Most of these guys are very smart, but if there's one area where the Escapists are ignorant and intolerable, it's with kids. For some reason no one here understands that a child is a child.
Having an opinion that differs to yours does not make someone ignorant. Considering this is an entirely subjective, emotional matter, it is completely possible to be in full possession of all the facts and still arrive at a different conclusion to someone else. Just sayin'.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
In a stone cold second.

Bad for humanity (go watch Child(ren?) of Earth for what happens when society stops reproducing), good for me.

Skrag The Summoner

Apr 20, 2011
its the whole idea if you can handle seeing what the world comes to in 1000 years and not being mentally scarred or living your life as normal so you don't have to see all the horrors which the human race can commit.
this is really immortality 101

Havegun

Sep 26, 2011
I wouldn't. Mainly, I want to have children and grandchildren and so on, old-fashioned as I am.
But also, the idea of immortality sort of scares me. I can't very well explain it, other than all forms of infinity disturb me. I like a sense of finality to everything.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
YES. So many times yes. Only good thing about children is passing tradition and my name down the generations, however if I'm going to be present all that time, I'll carry my own damn name into the future.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
considering how one of the main theories about the meaning of life (ignoring religion, thats a whole other thing) is that life is a way for genes to be passed on, and reproduction is the main way for that to occur, then being immortal means that reproduction would be unnessecary.
so yes, I would, even if its just to be able to say that I literally won life.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Only if my partner didn't want children. While I'd like to have kids at some point, companionship is way more important to me than having children, and if she wanted immortality, it'd be enough to push me to make that decision.