Poll: Would you trade the ability to have children for immortality?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Yes I could. :3 I would adopt. I mean I may end up adopting anyway now and I'm not immortal.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I can literally be.... FOREVAH ALONE!?!?

<3 Yes please.
While having a child would be nice and everything, i would really be happy with immortality.
Being able to see the next 10 Elder Scrolls games?!? I see nothing wrong with having no children if that is my future~!

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Hunter65416 said:
Couldn't think of a better way to word it but what i mean is,
IF immortality was made possible and anyone was allowed it on the condition that they were not allowed to produce any children (to stop over population) would you choose to become immortal?

-You would be age immortal meaning if you were careful you could live forever (jumping of a tall building will kill you)
Absolutely. In fact, considering I've been thinking about getting the snip for the past four or five years this would be very much in favour. The fact that I kill myself when I get bored makes it all the better, and if I ever wanted a child I'd prefer to adopt a child in need than raise a privileged child with an immortal daddy.

EDIT -

Talespinner said:
I wouldn't want either of those...
Curious, considering you can still kill yourself and not suffer a fate of loved one's dying if you so choose. Mind if I ask why?

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Adoption sort of spits on the whole "no children" thing but yeah, I would totally trade the ability to have children with immortality

Red Bomb

Nov 25, 2009
I cannot have children anyway due to medical problems so this is a no-brainer for me! :D

Indeterminacy

Feb 13, 2011
Hunter65416 said:
IF immortality was made possible and anyone was allowed it on the condition that they were not allowed to produce any children (to stop over population) would you choose to become immortal?
In a heartbeat. I have no intention of ever having children anyway. It's like a free lunch that's conditional on having to eat the lunch.

A Free Man

May 9, 2010
No thanks, I think I will be happy to live the life I have ahead of me. I don't want too much life or it will make it seem kind of meaningless. Besides although I hate most kids now I think I will definately want them at some point in the future.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
to be honest I wouldnt mind so much if I was told I couldnt have children

it would mea I would never have to make that life desicion...I could focus on a life without them (or adoption but thats a ***** and due to certian reasons I doubt I could ever adopt)

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
As long as I can kill myself when I've had enough, absolutely.

I have no interest in romance or kids, so trading sterility for agelessness sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
First Immortality then the bitches (TFS reference).

But I would choose the immortality option, not that living forever would be all fun and games, but I'm unlikely to have children so may as well take the immortality option if it was avaiable.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
JoesshittyOs said:
Umm, yeah. I don't know what answer you were expecting from the Escapist community.

Most of these guys are very smart, but if there's one area where the Escapists are ignorant and intolerable, it's with kids. For some reason no one here understands that a child is a child.
My feelings absolutely. The first thread I ever saw on this website was a question of a similar nature, and it stunned me how much ire the topic of children drew. My first impression of the people on here was that they were very bitter. :p I'd be curious to know how many of them will feel the same as they grow older...

Personally, I think that this is a difficult question. I don't believe in any sort of afterlife, so the thought of staring death in the eye is, for me, a terrifying one. The thought of as much time as you could possibly desire in which to learn things, and to see society develop is an enticing one, too. But for all that, there would also be the sense of crushing loss, as the world around you changed and the people faded, while you lived on.

Honestly, I'm not sure that humans could cope with such vast shifts, not to mention all of the stupidity, violence and cruelty that you'd be witness to. A society of immortal humans, however, strikes me as little better - if not actually worse. Besides all that though, children seem like something special, and I don't want to miss out on that.

No, I would not give up children for immortality. There, my mind's all made up.

thahat

Apr 23, 2008
i would in a wink, if my physical aging would stop entirally ( e.g. im 21 years old, i would be 21 physically forever )
if its not dye, but become wrinkly and weak, fuck no.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
squeekenator said:
JoesshittyOs said:
Most of these guys are very smart, but if there's one area where the Escapists are ignorant and intolerable, it's with kids. For some reason no one here understands that a child is a child.
Having an opinion that differs to yours does not make someone ignorant. Considering this is an entirely subjective, emotional matter, it is completely possible to be in full possession of all the facts and still arrive at a different conclusion to someone else. Just sayin'.
Considering the way a lot of people talk about kids and having them on this site, he wasn't far off. Ignorant was perhaps too strong a word for your liking, but when people reduce the issue to "living forever versus cleaning up baby poo" and other similarly narrow reductions, and when this is a common thing in pretty much any thread about childrearing, it becomes pretty clear that a lot of people here are too young and/or inexperienced to really understand the complexities of children. It's one thing to not want kids, and another to refer to them the way a lot of people in these forums have.

OT: More likely I'd say no, even though I don't think I'll want to have kids. It's frustrating enough seeing that what's happening now has an analogue to events in the past, so I can only imagine how annoyed I'd get after a few generations of people making the same mistakes over and over and over and over again. Plus if some of my friends decided not to it would become...awkward.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Yes. I'd do it right now.
Next step is true immortality, which I will then have a lot of time to gain.