Poll: WoW killer

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
We have all heard of "killers." They never seem to do the job. Killzone was supposed to be the halo killer and we've seen how that turned out. Do you think any of the upcoming MMORPG games will be a WoW killer?

Xylis

Nov 19, 2009
None. People are generally afraid to try something new, and well, to start an MMORPG you need lots of other people to make the experience more enjoyable/viable. And all these 'lots of other people' are playing WoW.

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
I'm going to try two of the above listed, but I won't leave WoW. Too much of my history lies there. Plus all my rl friends play it and have no interest in leaving for other ripoffs.

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
Its gonna be tough to kill WoW. Its become a monster, an unkillable monster making Blizzard $100million a month. I never played WoW, but Ill play the new Star Wars one when it comes out

Puregrrr

Nov 21, 2009
It would take a huge effort to overthrow WoW. I don't think people are willing to risk the high amounts of time and money that go into these games. Everyone loves a sure thing, and Wow might as well have a tramp stamp and a tongue ring.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
World of Warcraft is an island of excellence in the midst of a sea of mediocrity over a seabed of terrible. Somehow blizzard got the mmo formular right and have managed to tweak it over the years so it stays (somewhat) fresh, the only way it'll be knocked off its top spot is with a game that is truely innovative, original & most importantly addictive.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
soapyshooter said:
Killzone was supposed to be the halo killer and we've seen how that turned out.
"Supposed to be" and "What people made it out to be" are two completely different things.
But, if Guerilla Games actually were quoted as saying that it was a "Halo Killer," I stand corrected.

Anyway, I doubt WoW will faulter. The fanbase is just too massive.

I'm not saying the others won't be popular, they just won't crush WoW.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, Guild Wars is the only one which managed to at least put a dent in WoW's market share - if not a big one. So if any of those, Guild Wars 2.

But I go with the last option. WoW is just too popular.

SirBryghtside said:
Age - eventually it will become worse and worse in the modern eye, and the creators will become tired of making a thousand new patches to keep up with the latest tech.
I'm not so sure of that - shouldn't that have happened three years ago by now?.
Or, Blizzard can just go "WoW 2 - Import your old chars" and there we go, all set for the next 20 years.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
None will, because of Cataclysm.

I think the friends issue is only a part of the issue. I played WoW for years (finally stopped about a year ago) and in that time I never played with rl friends, but I met plenty of people in game. Anyway, WoW is too huge and it's still a good game, even tho it's become so dumbed down it's no harder than those click fest facebook games... (ok, I'll concede it can be difficult to pvp unless you play a non-gimped class)

I've looked at other mmos - screens and vids - and while they often look better, they just don't hold up to what WoW is now. I tried the Warhammer mmo for a couple months when it came out, and it was so lame... WoW has reached a Starcraft level of followers, which is to say extremely devoted and loving fans. I think the game to kill WoW will be WoW 2... if that ever happens.

PandyBear

Oct 24, 2008
Hazy said:
soapyshooter said:
"Supposed to be" and "What people made it out to be" are two completely different things.
But, if Guerilla Games actually were quoted as saying that it was a "Halo Killer," I stand corrected.

Guerilla never said it was a halo killer, it was a quote from official playstation magazine. :3

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
PandyBear said:
Hazy said:
soapyshooter said:

Guerilla never said it was a halo killer, it was a quote from official playstation magazine. :3
Again, what people make it out to be.

Unless it came from GG's mouth, of course. :p

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Every new MMO that is released is a "WOW killer" Each one has ended in dismal failure (I had hopes for you Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning). Unless there is something truly innovative, nothing will tough WOW for many years.

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
I think WoW is just too well established now. Who wants to leave their level 1 million destroyer of worlds that has seen them through umpteen expansions for a new character in a new game? None of the WoW players I know, that's for sure. Anyways, I don't really care, because I'll probably be too old and arthritic to play by the time an MMO I actually care about is released.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Dude? People still play Everquest.

WoW won't die until the internet shuts down or Blizzard goes out of business. Hell, maybe beyond that.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
WoW will never die. It's too popular and practically prints money so I don't see how anything will kill it.