Poll: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3, What was the better console?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
So I think its safe to say that generation of consoles has now come and gone.

So after the whole history from launch to now. What did you guys think was the superior console?

360 or PS3?

Hmm I got both consoles. And in my whole time with it I had to replace the Xbox 360, 3 times because of the Infamous Red Ring of Death, and my current Xbox 360's disc tray barely opens.

While my PS3 from 2009 is still functioning.

So despite all the good times I had with Xbox 360 and its online service Xbox Live (Xbox Live Multiplayer is superior to PS3) Playstation is just the better console.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Are we talking techinically, or the overall quantity and quality of entertainment? Technically I'd say the PS3 was superior, unless I missed something that wasn't the PC, entertainment wise they were pretty evenly matched. Eventhough once the PS3 really got cooking, and got its multiplatform shit in order, I barely touched my 360 anymore except to play Mass Effect or The Orange Box.

Now that I've gotten used to the PS4 though, it's remarkable what a clunky piece of shit the PS3 really is.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Now that I've gotten used to the PS4 though, it's remarkable what a clunky piece of shit the PS3 really is.
The PS3 was great for it's time but the cell processor, uneven memory distribution and low system ram made the console unnecessarily difficult to develop for. Espescially for third parties. It's why multiplatform games at the time tend to be better on 360. It's also the reason why Sony/Mark Cerny abandoned 'exotic' hardware for the PS4 in favor of tradional x86(PC) architecture. However once developers got to grips with PS3's weird architecture it could lead to some amazing games like Last of Us. Unfortunately PS3 had a potential I felt was never fully realized.

But yeah, compared to PS4 the PS3 has become an outdated piece of shit. The day Sony announces a Demon's Souls remake will be the day my PS3 ends up in the trash.

Anyways as to which console was better; I'd say X360 had better optimized multiplatform games(with some exceptions like GTA5) while PS3 had better exclusives like Demon's Souls and Last of Us.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
PS3.

Because it's the one I bought.

I just got it because it had the best exclusive games.

The 360 didn't have much that I couldn't just play on my PC.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I still own a 360 but I hardly know what happened with the ps3 so I don't really have a strong opinion either way. The reason for buying it at the time being that I like halo.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Xbox 360 had Viva Pinata. PS3 didn't. Therefore 360 wins for me. Okay, that's a bit reductive, but on the whole I enjoyed 360's exclusives more than I did the PS3's.

[sub]New Viva Pinata on XB1, cheers Microsoft.[/sub]

Zenja

Jan 16, 2013
Popular exclusives/franchises:

XBOX 360
-Fable
-Crackdown
-Forza
-Gears of War
-Halo
-Perfect Dark remake and sequel.
-Viva Pinata

Worth a mention but less popular/not a franchise:
-Banjo Kazzoie: Nuts & Bolts
-Blue Dragon
-Crimson Alliance
-Lost Odessy

Popular Exclusives/franchises:

PS3
-Gran Turismo
-God of War
-Infamous
-Little Big Planet
-Kingdom Hearts Remix
-Metal Gear Solid
-Resistance
-Uncharted

Worth a mention but less popular/not a franchise:
-Demon Souls
-Folklore
-Heavenly Sword
-Last of Us
-Killzone
-Ni No Kuni

Exclusives are going to vary on taste. Both also have a library of JRPG exclusives but I am not really someone with any knowledge in that department. Past the exclusive list, PS3 does offer you a Blue Ray player, but not just any Blue Ray player. It actually ranks above most on the market provided you don't have the plastic slide cover version. Even with it, provided you take care of your electronics really well it is good. (The plastic slide covers just offers VERY little protection against dust.)

Xbox Live makes you pay to play your games online and has commercials, PSN is free and doesn't have commercials.

Many out there like to think Xbox live is better because it has a paid model and somehow that improves its quality because of income or something. But let me tell you something about the milk at Wal-Mart thanks to a discussion with one of the vendors. There is a bottling company that has gallons of milk coming down a conveyor with 2 guys at the end of it. One guy puts a Robert's sticker on whatever jugs he picks up and the other guy puts a Great Value sticker on the jugs he picks up. The exact same jugs are shipped to Wal-Mart and one is marked up and the other marked down but both are the same jug of milk, just a different sticker. They do this to capture both demographics. The people who think expensive milk is somehow better and the people who think milk is milk and want to pay less.

I am personally upset PSN started charging this time around and am actively avoiding getting PS+ or any PS game with online as a result. I wanted The Crew but if I get it on PC, I don't have to pay for online services. If you buy it on console, you do. I will just do all my online gaming on PC from now on and consoles are singleplayer games only. The console market has spoken and they want to pay to play online.

Personally, good free Blue Ray player + free online play = win for the PS3 to me.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Zenja said:
The console market has spoken and they want to pay to play online.

It's the reason why they can sell these consoles so cheap. Like with Playstation Sony makes minimal profit with PS4 sales(with PS3 they actually made a loss for years on end) so subscription services are a method to generate a healthier profit(minus the costs of server maintenance). It's a trade-off a company has to make in order to sell at a competitive rate(one that is apparently greatly succesful given PS4's massive sales figures).

It's a trend I see continuing though with games as well(particularly for AAA-games which development costs continue to balloon well over the 100 million). Companies trying to make a profit not(or not just) from the initial purchase but rather from DLC, microtransactions, season passes, subscription services etc.

If it's within an acceptable range(meaning companies don't overdo it and provide quality for what you pay for) I can kind of understand why they do it. Games are expensive to develop and companies need some insurance and longer-term source of income to not let their investment go to waste. Consumers won't accept consoles going over 350 bucks or games over 60 so it becomes a reality of business that companies try to search for additional sources of income to make the risk of investment worth it.

You can kind of compare it to airline tickets. That market is oversaturated which is obviously good for the consumer but it still costs a lot of money to keep those planes in the sky. Profit margins for airline tickets are incredibly slim so here they try to increase profit by selling additional stuff like leg and luggage space or better seats.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I could play Banjo Kazooie on Xbox 360. I couldn't with PlayStation 3. Xbox 360, therefore, was the clearly superior console.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
The PS3 was great for it's time but the cell processor, uneven memory distribution and low system ram made the console unnecessarily difficult to develop for. Espescially for third parties. It's why multiplatform games at the time tend to be better on 360. It's also the reason why Sony/Mark Cerny abandoned 'exotic' hardware for the PS4 in favor of tradional x86(PC) architecture. However once developers got to grips with PS3's weird architecture it could lead to some amazing games like Last of Us. Unfortunately PS3 had a potential I felt was never fully realized.

But yeah, compared to PS4 the PS3 has become an outdated piece of shit. The day Sony announces a Demon's Souls remake will be the day my PS3 ends up in the trash.

Anyways as to which console was better; I'd say X360 had better optimized multiplatform games(with some exceptions like GTA5) while PS3 had better exclusives like Demon's Souls and Last of Us.
It also didn't help that Sony replaced the perfectly fine default online store for one that runs like a rusted up bicycle.

I don't turn my PS3 on for much anymore except when watching blu-rays, but recently I decided to check out the harddrive and maybe delete some game data I didn't need anymore... You'd think I was tasking it to link up with the Hubble Space Telescope, for Christ's sake.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
It also didn't help that Sony replaced the perfectly fine default online store for one that runs like a rusted up bicycle.
Yeah, they probably wanted to synchronize the store across all their platforms not realizing the PS3 was way behind the PS4. I think they realized they either kept the stores(and thus the servers) separate or synchronize for the price of massive slowdown on PS3. Part of it probably is that they don't want to invest in PS3 online services anymore as obviously it had it's run and is a previous-gen console.

I don't turn my PS3 on for much anymore except when watching blu-rays, but recently I decided to check out the harddrive and maybe delete some game data I didn't need anymore... You'd think I was tasking it to link up with the Hubble Space Telescope, for Christ's sake.
Lol yeah deleting install data on PS3 is a pain. I usually press delete then do something else and check back in an hour or so. :p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
PS3 for me because it was free to play online. All my friends had PS3s and 360s, but not everyone had Xbox Gold. Therefore, all things being equal, if a game came out on the PS3 and 360, we'd get the PS3 version. I really only have my 360 for the exclusives, such as Mass Effect, Gears of War, the Orange Box, and Call of Duty 2. There were a few other games that I picked up, but I haven't played on it in years. Whereas I was just playing on my PS3 again last night.

The Raw Shark

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.
Nov 19, 2014
The PS3 had inFAMOUS 1 & 2 and Demon's Souls
But it also had Uncharted which I hated and hated Nathan Drake even more.
The Xbox 360 had Halo and Fable 2
But it also went with a friggin race car game for Banjo Kazooie, also I didn't appreciate Fable 2 being kept Xbox 360 exclusive, I'd prefer a PC port.
So by that, PlayStation 3 wins for me.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
From personal experience here, the PS3 outright kicked the 360's ass in terms of actually lasting. Over the same amount of time, I had two 360s have their disc drive just stop reading discs and the controller build quality led to the analog sticks shitting the bed, which the third 360 probably would have had the same issue but I lost access to it so I guess I'll never know. In that same period, my PS3 itself worked for years with no problems but the controllers seem to have a weird issue where after about a year and a half, the controller will start to have an issue with thinking you're giving inputs you aren't actually giving.

Back to the system itself again, my PS3's Blu-Ray drive only recently failed around May of this year. and I had it since March 10th 2010.

When it comes to exclusives, pretty much anything that launched on the 360 was also on PC and for what wasn't, most of it was mediocre while the PS3 had a more robust exclusive library(which will never get Blue Dragon, but you can't have everything).

PSN was free for the PS3 while you had to pay for Xbox LIVE Gold if you wanted to play online.

As for most everything else, as a multimedia machine the PS3 utterly kicked the 360's ass up and down the street, since you could hook up external drives and/or swap out the internal and put pretty much your entire music/video library on the PS3 while for the 360, you could only really rip CDs at a predefined setting onto your incredibly small HDD you had to buy from Microsoft and the ability to use external drives for almost anything else that involved game data took 9 years for an update.

I don't know, it doesn't even seem like a question.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'd rather vote for both (or neither). In my opinion, they are overall even, counting exclusives available in the later years, the fuck ups of both Sony and MS, the trade offs of either systems online multiplayer, and what the hardware was capable.

If you asked which is better back in 2006-8, it would be a toss up between the system that had a larger library (with better running multiplats) but had units red ringing left and right, or the more robust, more expensive system, that didn't have many appealing exclusives. Things turned the other way when Sony offered more worthwhile exclusives per year, while MS, even though they finally finally fixed the RRoD issue, lost some market share. (Cheaping out on components and manufacturing processes will do that, yo.)

I still own both units, 360 since 2006 and PS3 since 2008. I think I played the 360 more than the Playstation until 2011-2012. I just didn't see much in the PS line up (besides Uncharted 1 & 2 and God of War 3) until the 360's library started getting dry. I hated the 360s MS's stupidly overpriced proprietary[footnote]Thanks, Sony, for following that lead with the Vita cables and memory cards. How'd that turn out for you?[/footnote] accessories. (Still on the original 20GB HDD.) I also hated the PS3's horrendous installs and updates. Sometimes they got as slow as molasses on cold winter day. I never really used either for much more than games. (Okay, PS3 is my blu-ray player.) Multi-media is much easier and quicker (and does not have vendor lock-in) with my PC, a remote keyboard/trackpad, and HDMI. With all of that (and the fact my launch window 360 survived until I got an unopened 360 Arcade for super cheap), I consider them equal.
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:
Lol yeah deleting install data on PS3 is a pain. I usually press delete then do something else and check back in an hour or so. :p
That's what I've done for updates, installs, and HDD clean up for years. Unfortunately, I switch to another console and forget about the PS3 for much more than an hour usually. Good thing they wised up and allow PS4 games to start working after a small amount of install time.

dohnut king

Sep 22, 2014
The PS3 was also rather more reliable than the 360. My 360 lasted a long tome for a 360, but I babied it and still wound up with the red ring for my troubles.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Would go with the PS3. To start with the 360 was better it just had better games and a more sensible price but later on the PS3 addressed both and actually ended up with a much better range of games imo and free online was good (cant believe they have now managed to get us to pay for online).

Both of mine broke which kinda annoyed the hell out of me. I know other consoles had their problems but the PS3 and 360 are the two most unreliable consoles I have ever seen (ok big name consoles) but even then the 360 was in a league of its own I would not be surprised if the failure rate for the early console batches were close to 100%. I never bought another 360 after it went wrong again 6 months after I fixed it but I know people who have gone through 4 of the things. I did begrudgingly get a new PS3 because I got tired of fixing it every 2 months in the end and there were still lots of games I wanted to play on it.

Lucky my PS2 and PS1 are still working so losing the backwards compatible model was not such a blow.

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
PS3 by far. The 360 barely had any games worth playing that the PS3 didn't have (Viva Pinata, Perfect Dark, and the slightly better-running version of RDR.) You also have to pay a subscription to play 360 games online which never made any sense to me since you had to host the games on your own console anyway (or at least you did with the games I tried to play.) The quality of Xbox Live was terrible and I couldn't play with more than one other person without the games constantly crashing.

My 360 also suffered from the RRoD and now tries not to let you put discs in it and won't start up with the HDD plugged in. My PS3 (which can also play BDs and doesn't sound like a jet taking off) still works perfectly fine and the free online works admirably. I also love that there are actually a bunch of local multiplayer games on it with controllers that work with side-scrollers and fighters.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Neither console was particularly well designed compared to its predecessor, both featuring poorly designed CPUs that aren't much more powerful than a Nintendo Wii's benchmarked. But the PS3 was the far worse designed console.