Poll: Yahtzee changes joke in ZP video

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Okay so, just to bring everyone up to speed:

In Yahtzee's "Papers, Please and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons" ZP video, he made a joke relating to transsexuals.

A significant number of people took offence to this. So much so, that the comments thread exploded into arguments, and various hostilities.

The joke was:
"'Co-op single player' is like saying 'I'm not gay, I only suck off pre-op transsexuals'"

The video was later edited, and the joke was changed to:
"I'm not gay, I only suck off pantomime dames"

Yahtzee has said in his Extra Punctuation column, that he regrets the original version of the joke.

My question to you is; Should the joke have been changed? Was it offensive enough to be edited?
Did you personally find it offensive?

I'm of the opinion that the joke was fairly harmless. But then I'm not one to get offended at jokes anyway, so I dunno.

I'm interested in hearing what other people think. Particularly about the decision to edit the video and change it.

Dec 14, 2009
Anyone who gets offended by a joke is too thinned skin.

I've heard some godawful jokes in my time, but I've never once been offended by. Sure, I've found them tasteless, crude, etc, but not once have I thought 'You know what? This joke hurts my feelings. Time to let everyone know just how hurt my feelings are."

The joke in question was more about cognitive dissonance, then it was a dig at transsexuals, but then again, I've seen some really obvious Critical Miss jokes fly right over the heads of people around here, so hey, what do I know?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
It's the fear of the LGBT blowing their trumpet. Yatzee is (probably) heterosexual, so get used to it. That said, leave all the political correctness to politicians and their lobbying.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
IceForce said:
My question to you is; Should the joke have been changed? Was it offensive enough to be edited?
Did you personally find it offensive?
I don't believe it was offensive, certainly not enough so that it needed to be edited. But, given the response that it received regardless of how I or anyone else perceives it, I think it's admirable nonetheless that Yahtzee changed and apologized for it.

Granted, the joke makes less sense now in context, but hey, what can you do?

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Yahtzee was never politically correct. That joke could be offensive to people, but people can find his gratuitous swearing offensive as well. I don't think that means you have to change it.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Out of all the things Yahtzee has ever said on ZP, I'm surprised that THIS was the thing that people thought crossed the line.

It's not like Yahtzee's show has ever been family friendly and politically correct, and I think that the people who were offended by the joke didn't fully comprehend it, and just thought it was framing transsexuals in a negative light (it wasn't).

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
It's his work, he can make whatever changes he likes or deems necessary.
This goes for me too.

Evidently it bothered Yahtzee enough that he decided to change it, something he doesn't exactly make a habit of doing. While it may not have offended me really, I can respect his decision anyways.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
He's a content creator. As such, he has the right to alter his creation however he sees fit, delete it outright, or he could tell all the people complaining to fuck off and that their viewership won't be missed. His choice. But now he's set a precedent where people can censor him if they make enough noise.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nothing is sacred when it comes to jokes. Why should the subject of transsexuals be called more important than every issue anyone has ever joked about?

He should've kept it in, more so because I thought the original joke was funnier.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
There should be no line when it comes to comedy. It should be left down to the creator. In this case Yatzhee decided he didn't like the line so he changed it. That's fine.

It's not like ZP was some family show anyway.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
As long as it was his choice to change it and he was happy to do it then it doesn't particularly matter. It's his video after all. Not that I found the original joke or it's new version that funny, it's not my kind of humour.

I do not think he should have been put in a position where he felt it was necessary to change it though. I am getting rather tired of overly sensitive people who actively look to be offended by innocuous jokes and comments. Yahtzee has made countless jokes that were as equally "bad" as the one in the last video, but people have been fine with them. It's only when the joke is made about their particular group that all of a sudden people give a damn. People don't seem to mind when the joke is about somebody else.

Hell, he made Nazi jokes in the same video but nobody seemed to mind that. I'd say making a joke based around a concentration camp where millions of people lost their lives is "worse" than suggesting somebody giving oral sex to a pre-op transsexual makes them homosexual.

But I am strange like that.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
He can make changes if he wants, but he shouldn't be pressured into changing it. The joke was satirical, and some of the people who complained aren't even fans or regular viewers of Yahtzee, they just showed up to complain.

I'd rather the joke remained as it was (the joke sounds weird now, especially since the image hasn't changed), but Yahtzee chose to change it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Yahtzee has made what I consider to be off-color jokes before, but I'm not going to raise a hissy fit about it. He's one of those "nothing is sacred" comedians in my book, which means he can take potshots at whatever he wants.

If he truly felt like he had gone too far, then I don't have a problem with the alteration. If he was pressured into doing it, then that's another matter.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
If he regrets it, why wouldn't he change it? Why leave something out there if it's no longer something you stand behind (even if it's as minor as a joke).

It's his work and his choice, after all.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So that's where he draws the line? Seriously , he makes fun of every possible group out there , but transexuals are a no go . This is why we can't have nice things .

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It wasn't too bad, but when I heard it, I did give a little sigh.

I'm glad it was changed, and I'm even more glad it was Yahtzee himself who deemed it worthy of being changed.

game-lover

Dec 1, 2010
You know when I watched the video, I just knew the joke would be acknowledged in some way.

Guess I was right.

Honestly, I don't care one way or the other. His video. He can do whatever.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Personally, I think anyone that got offended over that, especially of all things he's said about, well, pretty much every major group you can think of, is a bit thin-skinned in all honesty.

But if it was truly his idea to change it then fair enough I suppose.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I personally don't think it should've been changed, but if Yahtzee changed it of his own free will I'm ok with it.