Poll: Yahtzee changes joke in ZP video

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
I don't think it was offensive to transsexuals, because the joke wasn't on them, it was on homophobes.

It wasn't saying anything about whether they identify as a man or a woman or anything.
It was a joke about someone who liked sucking dick but couldn't admit to being gay.

But it's okay to change your joke if your original intent didn't get across.

Also, it weren't just offended people who made the comment section explode. If transphobes wouldn't have jumped at those comments with their commentary on how trans-people are deluded and whatnot and then getting a response etc it would have never become such a shouting-match.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
No he shouldn't have.

He jokes about practically everything there is, including the holocaust and what not, nobody bats an eye then.

If you want my honest opinion, and no this is not trolling / flaming whatever (just getting that out the way) Is that LGBT community members (and other so called 'minority groups' (black people and whatnot)) are just so used to getting special treatment that they not only expect it, but demand it.

In this case they got pissed over a joke, yet will happily joke about heterosexual folks, or anything else that does not affect them directly, without thinking about that party.

In my experience, from the people i meet, the ones who fight the hardest for so called equality (woman's rights / LGBT and so on) are the biggest hypocrites there are.

Again, just stating my opinion.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
I'm offended that the joke had to be changed. I want the original joke back in the video, and I want it right now.

Is this how this works? Am I doing it right? Do I get to have things my way now?

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I didn't think it mattered myself. He usually tells his jokes too fast for me to get offended, by the time I have a more complex thought than "This is funny" he's said three other funny things.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
Nope, not going to hold it against him. He can make whatever joke he likes. He went as far as to consider and change. He's a good guy bringing entertainment to everyone for free.

Flaery

Ghetto Trash
Dec 23, 2012
Taking into consideration the context of the joke I think people were being a bit too sensitive, but I hardly care for any sort of changes or censors to the original content and I think the new joke is funnier.

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Self censorship is the worst kind of censorship. The implications of it are the most sinister. It suggests a climate of fear.

Feb 22, 2009
Borderline, I guess: I think what he was aiming for was to make fun of the kind of hypocritical public figure whose public and private views on homosexuality don't match up. But I understand that it was unclear and could be taken to be offensive to someone who, well, DOES suck off pre-op transsexuals, and offensive since it doesn't acknowledge that sex and gender are different things.

TLDR: taken as intended, fine, but unlikely to be taken as intended because pretty unclearly worded.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I'm liberal and sensitive to feelings and whatnot, but this PC crap is shit.

Call me a fat tub of lazy crap and laugh about it, as long as I can tell my jokes I don't care.

People need to friggin deal. It's only a problem when you ruin it for the rest of us.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
If he didn't care about offending people about using an aborted fetus as a yo-yo, why should he back down now?

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Wintermute said:
I'm offended that the joke had to be changed. I want the original joke back in the video, and I want it right now.

Is this how this works? Am I doing it right? Do I get to have things my way now?
No, no, if we're applying the original logic, then you need to grow a thicker skin and get over yourself! Who the hell do you think you are to tell someone not to change a joke?! I can stand PC stuff, but meta-political correctness is just a step too far!

But nah, seriously. If the content creator themselves takes a step back and decides the joke didn't work, then that's fine. Although I dislike this idea that saying 'it's just a joke' gives you carte blanche to make jokes about whatever you like, and be immune to criticism. You should be free to find humour in whatever you want, but other people should also be free to call you an asshole for telling that joke. That is, as I understand it, quite a basic principle of free speech.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
I think the original should have remained, but then I super hate censorship. I do recall hearing him say it and thinking "Well that was just rude and unnecessary, wish he hadn't done that."
I've had times where I posted something that later I wished I hadn't, and even when it would have been very easy to change it I didn't. Because at some point that was my opinion, that was what I thought was the right thing to say, and it was said during that time. I could link something from this very forum that I said when quite sleep deprived, regarding foreskins, and the next day I really wanted to edit that out. But I didn't. Because fuck censorship.

I just think you shouldn't change something like that later because you feel differently in hindsight. You can of course apologize for it, and that ought to be enough for people in my opinion. (Only if the apology is sincere of course.)

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Kudos to Yahtzee. I don't understand why it's an insane idea that you should take the slightest bit of effort to think about what you're going to say and prevent offending already oppressed groups. It's so easy to take pot shots at the groups that already have it the hardest.

It really doesn't take that much effort. But you would rather have other people continue to get pissed off at you, than take a millisecond and think about what you say. Or at least be apologetic for it rather than blaming the other person for being upset.

You upset someone and then blame them for being upset.

Bring on the flame.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Baron von Blitztank said:
Yahtzee? Offensive? Well stop the fucking presses!
He's called black people niggers (cut short on the actual word but he still did an in-depth look into the 'gansta' culture), made any number of holocaust jokes, dead babies galore, a dead cat with kittens beside it asking 'please wake up mummy," gays, countries, specific people, asking said people to die, religion, priests, and who know what else.

And with that rather extensive list out of the way, I have to ask why is transsexuality such a fragile flower? Especially compared to one of the more horrific events in the history of humanity and other situations which have resulted in severe mental and psychological scaring?

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I don't really have an opinion on the joke. But the fact that Yahtzee was considerate enough to think through why people were offended, recognize it as legitimate, apologize while explaining what he was really going for, and change it...that's strangely heartwarming.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
It's fine if he genuinely regretted the joke. If not, he should have stuck to his guns.

The joke wasn't particularly funny but I wouldn't really say it's offensive. But I understand how people can feel about jokes.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
if he changed it because he wanted to, then it's fine. but if he changed it because of pressure from forumites, then it's not fine. that's all.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
The fact that they found themselves so self-important that they bitched and moaned over a one-off comment after YEARS of Yahtzee bashing straight people, gay people, religious people, people from various countries, and entire countries themselves (and also all of humankind on multiple occasions,) makes me really quite baffled.

Like, really guys? You guys don't see the double standard you're trying to enforce? It's fine for him to bash all the OTHER people, but as soon as MY religion/orientation/etc gets bashed, OMG OFFENSIVE BOYCOTT EVIL PIG IGNORANT BIGOT etc.

Where does it end? Should we get russians in here to boycott and raise a stink about his portrayal of russians in the videos? Or smarmy english enemies? Or japanese game developers? Or "totally straight" space marines that shun any form of female contact? Why is it fine for years, and then suddenly not okay when YOU get offended?

Get a fucking grip. Grow a spine. You aren't doing your movement any favors by throwing a temper tantrum because you heard a joke on the internet. All it shows is that your movement is full of petty whiners who are fine when anyone else gets bashed, but it's magically Not Okay? when it happens to you.

I'll quote my other post on this topic, because it's relevant (and nobody was able to strawman my argument last time, they just cherry picked all the illogical comments and left mine alone)

AuronFtw said:
Obvious objective rant from someone who has no troops in either camp: abuse individual trans people suffer - actual, malicious insults and attacks - is every bit as out of place and unacceptable as "normal" sexual abuse, and anyone guilty of it should be called out and punished for it. That said, a lot of this abuse comes from fear of the unknown - folks who are ignorant of what trans really is or means just spouting off rhetoric. Much of this kind of abuse can be reduced by simply teaching and educating folks on trans matters.

Look at how (generally) accepted the gay community is today - that came from decades of education and integration, dispelling rumors and undue fears. When a similar thing happens with the trans community, people will be more understanding and accepting (...in general, again, there will always be bigots). To give a specific example; gay men, for a long time, were implied to have or outright blamed for having a substantially increased leaning toward pedophilia. This had no basis in truth, and every scientific study done on the topic showed zero correlation. Over time the truth won out, and only hardcore bigots will quote this "fact" to attack gays anymore. Right now, the trans community has a lot of (equally bullshit) rumors and misconceptions floating around. With time and dedication, these will be dispelled - and said community will be one step closer to general acceptance.

What the trans movement doesn't need to do is force the world to change the basic definitions of "man" and "woman". There are biological definitions of man and woman that have existed for thousands of years, with obvious and clear meaning. Fucking that up with a less-than-0.5%-of-population jargon is just a disaster, and it's something none of them seem capable of understanding. Teach us about your issues; come up with terms for it that are descriptive of your issues. But don't take words that already have clear meaning and try to obfuscate them into meaninglessness. That will do you far more harm than good.

This is like the fifth civil rights movement in recent memory, so I'm honestly surprised people are still getting it wrong. Being overly hostile, labeling and degrading the "majority" will never win you brownie points. Throwing childlike temper tantrums over jokes will never win you brownie points. If you want to be accepted, show that you are accepting. If you want to be trusted, show you trust. If you want to be understood, educate and teach those who are ignorant of your lifestyle. If you want to continue being abused and mistreated, keep making mountains out of molehills - raising shitstorms over non-issues and straining relationships instead of improving them.

If your first reaction to a Yahtzee joke that offends you is "oh, fuck you, I'm never watching your video again," it doesn't really say anything good about your moral character or the movement you're trying to represent. If you are seriously interested in bridging the gap, reasoned and logical discussions and explanations will do far more good than temper tantrums and ragequits (and always have, in the end). The rare chaotic spark of a revolution is often wrought with conflict; but resolution and eventual acceptance requires mutual trust and understanding, none of which is gained through pointless conflict.