Poll: You and cooking

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
shootthebandit said:
Yal said:
Where's the take out option? I don't recall the last time I even tried to cook.

I give money to people who are better at food than I am. Specialization is the backbone of a modern, industrialized economy.
get me a job where you work if you can afford to eat takeout all the time
I had/have a job like that (currently on haitus). Course, that job requires me to travel around the country living in hotel rooms for months at a time without a kitchen, so im given about 30 dollars a day for food. Although I will admit, while the idea of eating out everyday may seem appealing....it gets annoying pretty fast. Especially if you are stuck in small towns with like 3-4 options for food.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
I can cook steak, pork chops and bacon. By this I mean that I can put them in a pan, turn them over, then take them out.

However, these are all the things that anyone should ever need to cook :p

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Ryotknife said:
shootthebandit said:
Yal said:
Where's the take out option? I don't recall the last time I even tried to cook.

I give money to people who are better at food than I am. Specialization is the backbone of a modern, industrialized economy.
get me a job where you work if you can afford to eat takeout all the time
I had/have a job like that (currently on haitus). Course, that job requires me to travel around the country living in hotel rooms for months at a time without a kitchen, so im given about 30 dollars a day for food. Although I will admit, while the idea of eating out everyday may seem appealing....it gets annoying pretty fast. Especially if you are stuck in small towns with like 3-4 options for food.
Tbh i probably wouldnt like it everyday. i was just making a point

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm going with mediocre because I can cook but I don't often have to do it, so I don't get a lot of practice. But if the push came to shove, I wouldn't stay hungry.

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
I'd say on the higher side of reasonable. I can cook food that tastes good and hasn't killed anyone yet (or resulted in food poisoning), but I'm not fantastic. I make mistakes and half the time it looks a little on the dodgy side, but I have a laugh doing it. Heh, I prefer the taste of home cooked food to fast food/take-out whatever, so I kinda have to keep my cooking skills reasonably well honed.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
My mum has started teaching me, so I can cook a fair amount of stuff (e.g. Stew, Bolognese, chips, roast dinner etc).

I actually quite like it, I intend to make cooking a main hobby of mine so I can cook for other people.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
I cook very infrequently; at least, in terms of cooking meals that take any real effort. But, when I have cooked, I've surprised myself with how well it can go and how ambitious my meals are (given I have a recipe in front of me), so I went with reasonable. My best cooking ever was probably the one time I cooked braised rump steak in red wine sauce. Delicious, but it took an age to cook, and I was ravenous by the time I got it on the plate.

I also once made poached chicken breasts in white wine sauce with garlic and herb mash. Two fatal errors were made: the white wine I poached the breasts in and made the sauce with was sour and gave the sauce a horrible acidic tinge, and I forgot to fry the garlic, so the mash scorched your mouth, it was so potent. I'll never forget the pained looks on my parents' faces as they ate it. Effort appreciated, but that was about it!

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
shootthebandit said:
Ryotknife said:
Tbh i probably wouldnt like it everyday. i was just making a point
It is a lifestyle choice with its own challenges, no doubt. It's easy to slip into unhealthy eating patterns in particular.

But I really hate cooking.

Aug 31, 2012
I cook thusly:

Is it a vegetable or grain based?

Yes: boil in a pan until mushy.
No: Go to next question

Is it meat?

Yes: Fry
No: Discard

Meat may then be added to the pan and further boiled if desired.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I'm the cook since I don't work.

I'm not a great cook. I do maybe a dozen meals well, but I don't often try anything different. Which is annoying, I know. I think it's more the planning and shopping and prep work I hate than the cooking part. Which I have no excuse to ***** about, as like I said I don't work so all cooking, cleaning and errands are my responsibility and that in no way equals the 8 hours a day of work Sam does.

I should cook better, I have no reason not to experiment and learn and improve. I just hate cooking. I love eating, though.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'd say I am a somewhere between reasonable and pretty good. What I make usually tastes quite good, but I often have a problem making it look pretty. However I have my specialities that taste pretty damn awesome and I recently made a salmon that was out of this world.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'm a pretty good cook in so much as I haven't given myself food poisoning since moving into my own place, five years ago.

I do have a bad habit of putting too much spicy stuff into my food though; apparently what cheesecake is missing is not a handful of birds eye chillis.

I also like to dabble in baking, I recently made my flatmate this delicious cake for his birthday:

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
TopazFusion said:
I can't cook. At all.
It's a disgrace, I know.

The microwave gets a lot of use in my house.

Oh, and the toaster too.
Australians and New Zealanders are basically the same thing, so surely you can at least barbeque, right? :D

OT: The extent of my cooking prowess is grilling-- nay, forging the perfect hangover cure sausage sandwiches.

Okoi

Mar 26, 2013
I'm not very good at cooking and it tends to be a bit of a disaster. Baking I'm okay at though. Our tiny kitchen makes it all a bit tricky since only one person can fit at a time and we don't have much in the way of counter space.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
I actually went to culinary school right out of high school. I hated it though, and it killed any love I might have for the craft.

It takes a lot of coaxing to get me to cook, but when I do, watch out.

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I've cooked a fair amount of meals OK, but I'm personally more into baking than cooking, especially since my parents rarely bake beyond easy bake cookies. I've made a bunch of cakes, pies, cookies, and other treats and they've all come out pretty well. I've even taken a couple of cooking classes at night, and of course the recipes I've repeated at home have been the desserts.

I've recently combined a few things to make a custard pie for Memorial Day. Basically made vanilla custard, poured it into a graham cracker pie crust, then when that set I placed some strawberries and a strawberry glaze over the top, and refrigerated it for about 2 hours. It was gone within days!

captcha: steak and eggs
Will an omelet suffice?

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
I'm gonna say reasonable. I've made a concerted effort in recent months to improve my abilities beyond putting a pre-cooked meal in the oven. I'm not great, but I now know enough to have a decent repetoire. I can make a pretty good bolognese, toad in the hole, chicken schnitzel, and several others. I'm also now confident enough to follow a recipe and get decent results even if it's unfamiliar.

Also, I do make really fierce brownies.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Mediocre: I can make you a egg and bacon sandwich, but don't expect the bacon to be how you asked for it: 5 out of 10 times, the contents will look like they were nuked.

On the plus side, I'm not as bad as my brother: He once melted the plastic covering on a ready meal into the actual food.

Edit: Not really about cooking, but i once set a bag of popcorn on fire in the microwave. Don't really know how i did it (Think i must of left the plastic on it). Had to grab it with a pair of oven gloves and throw it in the sink. Am Too scared to try and make popcorn again.