Poll: You can make a type of technology from sci-fi real. Which do you choose?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Ok, so let's just ignore the scenario completely. You have this list of sci-fi things, and you can make one of them a reality. Which do you choose?

1: Terraforming planets. We can have the technology to make outside worlds inhabitable. But with space travel as it is now, moving there is practically a one-way trip.

2: Teleportation Technology It's completely safe unless someone purposefully screws it up. It's been spread around so you're able to go anywhere on Earth if there's a proper landing area.

3: Androids/Cyborgs Yes, there's the chance of the robot apocalypse, but having all this cool stuff makes it worth it, doesn't it?

4: Biological Enhancements Think the Super Soldier Serum, or Adam without the nasty side effects. If you get it legally, that is...

5: Flying Cars/Jetpacks Yes, traffic accidents will become even worse, but nothing say "Welcome to the Future!" than flying cars.

6: The Futuristic Fuel Source It won't actually MAKE the future technology, but today's technology will certainly run better. It's the "energy crisis" solved in a snap. Plus, further tech can be made eventually.

7: Faster-Than-Light Travel It'd be expensive, and we don't know where to go, but we have an easy way to move faster than light. And that's awesome.

8 (becuase that's all I can manage to fit in polls): Other If you can think of something else. Try and keep it broad, like Laser Weaponry or Clones or Holograms.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
FTL in a heartbeat. For me thats the current holy grail of science. Partially because we will need it one way or another in the future and partially because I want it NOW. It'd be cool to go to mars and come back in a few hours.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
FTL Everything else will come about eventually but FTL seems like it might be impossible.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
INB4 everybody says Replicator and Holodeck.

Seriously, with just one of those two you'd be set.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Flying motorcycle, hands down. Screw faster than light travel, screw space travel. Just gimmie a flying Harley.

LordFish

May 29, 2012
FTL FTW! omg lol

No but seriously, It upsets me that there is life out there yet we will never know of it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Hazy992 said:
I'd be tempted to say Holodeck except that I'm almost certain our civilisation would collapse, or at least grind to a halt, if we had access to that technology. Also, Kirk didn't need holodecks.

So I'll say FTL, because it's the only way we're ever going to get out there, and we really need to get out there.

Andrew_Waltfeld

Jan 7, 2011
Shock and Awe said:
FTL in a heartbeat. For me thats the current holy grail of science. Partially because we will need it one way or another in the future and partially because I want it NOW. It'd be cool to go to mars and come back in a few hours.
total agreement. FTL travel for the win.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
Hazy992 said:

Ninja'd.
Seriously, wouldn't replicator tech basically solve most of the worlds problems right now?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Swyftstar said:
Hazy992 said:

Ninja'd.
Seriously, wouldn't replicator tech basically solve most of the worlds problems right now?
Pretty much yeah. No more fighting over resources for one thing.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Near-unlimited energy would make a lot of things much cheaper. Like research, because I imagine places that do a lot of experiments have a high electric bill.

And without a dependence on oil, politicians would have one less reason to drag their country into a war.

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
Hazy992 said:
Swyftstar said:
Hazy992 said:

Ninja'd.
Pretty much yeah. No more fighting over resources for one thing.
Well if you created absolute recycling you could but star trek replicators didn't create mater only reassemble it.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'd quite like to be able to transfer my mind over to a computer substrate, so I suppose that'd count as androids/cyborgs. Once you've got truly intelligent general AI, the other inventions will follow pretty fast.

FTL travel would be awesome though. It's a tough decision.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Teleportation absolutely. But perpetual energy as well. Assuming it's possible (unlikely) that is the holy grail of mathematics, science, engineering, etc.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
FTL so that i can seek out new life and new civilizations and have sex with them

dont look at me like that you were thinking it too

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I going with the future fuel. Do you know how much fuel it cost these days?

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
How about time travel? It would make things interesting. We could get technology from the future and they could get technology from a further future. As long as the universe doesn't collapse from all the paradoxes.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I gotta jump on the FTL bandwagon here. Sure, Earth has enough problems to deal with on one planet but to travel through outer space and better explore our galaxy would be monumental.