Poll: Your computer's weakest link...

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Surprisingly nothing given the age of my machine (March 2006) - but the 50% oc'd dual core CPU, 8GB of ram, SSD and what should be a fairly mediocre GPU by now seems to be holding it's own.

Which is all handy as I can't afford to replace it :D (well, I can't afford the gas to get to work for the next two weeks so a new PC is definitely out)

Chuck-Lee-Campbell

Feb 7, 2011
Well basicly every component in my PC is really high-end. I really don't know, maybe the HDD, but its still one of the most recommended HDDs for its price. So thats probably it.

EDIT: F*****g hell how could I have forgetten. Its the DVD writter, it only cost about 20 euros.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
My weakness is my video. I got my computer two years ago as a present from my dad and it isn't built for gaming. Its integrated graphics chip set can barely play WoW on its lowest setting. It is actually not supported by the game and took some file editing help from the WoW forums to get it to work and run the game.

fenrizz said:
The Hard Drive.

It's a 2GB 7500rpm HD.

I've been planning to upgrade to a 120GB SSD and a 600GB Velociraptor 10000rpm Drive.

SSD for OS and essential programs and the Velociraptor for games.
The old drive will be used for storage.
How is your computer even running? There hasn't been such a thing as a 2GB hard drive that has run a computer in more than a decade.

Vista and all the necessary programs I need to keep my computer running properly take anywhere between 50 to 100GB of space. Heck I found out I was way behind and didn't have service pack 2 for Vista(Have a bad habit of not updating), but just the download starter program to download and install it was 475MB, and it downloaded at least 1GB or more for the upgrade.

My main hard drive that came with the computer says that there is a total of 451GB of space total free and used, though I'm betting it is a 500GB drive and all the necessary stuff takes up 49GB that it doesn't show me is there.

Is your hard drive like 18 or more years old? Because my smallest flash drive has as much space as 2GB, and that is a size that really isn't sold anymore, the only reason I have it is that it is the special apprentice minibot drive I got when I got the SW:Force Unleashed 2 collector's edition.

The smallest flash drive I've seen in stores these days is 4GB. I'm willing to bet you made some kind of number typo. You must have meant a normal 200GB drive.
You think someone may have wrote GB instead of TB?

Also the "49GB that it doesn't show me is there" isn't what you think. It's a difference between measurements of gigabytes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte] (GB) and gibibytes [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibibyte] (GiB) - the former being 1,000,000,000 bytes and the latter being 1,073,741,824 bytes so when multiplied out over the hundreds the difference becomes quite noticeable.

Hard drive manufacturers quote the drive size in gigabytes with the correct GB suffix whereas your operating system quotes drive size in gibibytes but displays the incorrect GB suffix to cause confusion (well not, there's a reason for it which you can google if you're really bothered).

So that's where your "missing" space has gone.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
My computers weakest links besides being 4-5 years old are 32bit vista and its complete and utter lack of maintenace yeah it sucks :(

Xrysthos

Apr 13, 2009
My laptop is using Windows Vista 32-bit. Not that it's really awesome in any other aspect, but I do believe that is what is holding it back the most.

Jun 11, 2008
I am fairly sure at the moment my Ram is my bottleneck as I have 2gb of ram. I am forgetful about processors but I think my quad core ~2.4GHz is alright and my 1,016MB(according Dxdiag) dedicated memory graphics card is fine. I could use a bit more Hard drive space but that isn't an issue at this point in time.

Oh wait OS is Vista so yeah.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Definitely the Video Card. I have a decent 2.6ghz processor and 2gbs of ram so those aren't to much of an issue. But my video card is a piece of shit.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
well, speaking in todays terms, my rig should handle anything.
2 GTX 460's, 6 GB DDR3 (triple channel), i7-950 processor all pretty good, but ultimately with a rig that can run modern games well unless you have an SSD or some crazy HHD array, hard drive is gonna be a bottleneck every time.

so though I have a pretty quick RAID 0 config with a couple 500 gig drives, it is the limiting factor in performing all operations involving its heavy usage. To remedy this completely, it would have to be at least as fast in data read/write as my ram (or potentially motherboard) can receive or send it.

I'm not sure if SSD's can compete with the speed of RAM, but I suppose if one didn't an array of them large enough would do the trick.

anyone know the answer to that?

EDIT: The good news though guys, is that it doesn't really matter, a good SSD as opposed to a good HHD will speed up OS load times, file transfer/install times, and also make a noticeable difference to game loading screens. None of this however means the gaming once begun will be influenced by the speed of your HHD. it just means waiting around a little bit more or less. I found a happy medium with two 500BG HHD's in RAID 0.

Seeing as smaller HHD's are generally faster and less expensive then their larger counterparts, having the two work in tandem gives me a full TB of space, while being more then twice as fast and only slightly more costly.

baker80

Oct 17, 2008
Getting a quadcore sounded like a good idea back in the day, but when I'm not compiling something it really doesn't do much good for most games. 2.66 gHz per core is pretty slow these days.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
I've got a gaming rig.

Except the video card died. Like, literally melted.

It's a gaming rig WITHOUT A VIDEO CARD.

I am a sad sad gamer.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Too little space, 2 500 gb HDDs and a 750 external just doesn't seem to cut it with the crap I do with my pc. That being art, gaming, videos and music. Maybe steam needs to be on the second HDD ...I'm thinking outloud in text on the internet...time for bed.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
My weakness is my video. I got my computer two years ago as a present from my dad and it isn't built for gaming. Its integrated graphics chip set can barely play WoW on its lowest setting. It is actually not supported by the game and took some file editing help from the WoW forums to get it to work and run the game.

fenrizz said:
The Hard Drive.

It's a 2GB 7500rpm HD.

I've been planning to upgrade to a 120GB SSD and a 600GB Velociraptor 10000rpm Drive.

SSD for OS and essential programs and the Velociraptor for games.
The old drive will be used for storage.
How is your computer even running? There hasn't been such a thing as a 2GB hard drive that has run a computer in more than a decade.

Vista and all the necessary programs I need to keep my computer running properly take anywhere between 50 to 100GB of space. Heck I found out I was way behind and didn't have service pack 2 for Vista(Have a bad habit of not updating), but just the download starter program to download and install it was 475MB, and it downloaded at least 1GB or more for the upgrade.

My main hard drive that came with the computer says that there is a total of 451GB of space total free and used, though I'm betting it is a 500GB drive and all the necessary stuff takes up 49GB that it doesn't show me is there.

Is your hard drive like 18 or more years old? Because my smallest flash drive has as much space as 2GB, and that is a size that really isn't sold anymore, the only reason I have it is that it is the special apprentice minibot drive I got when I got the SW:Force Unleashed 2 collector's edition.

The smallest flash drive I've seen in stores these days is 4GB. I'm willing to bet you made some kind of number typo. You must have meant a normal 200GB drive.
Ah yes, sorry.
I seem to have typed GB instead of TB.