Poll: Your favorite open world/sandbox game of this gen ?

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Why must you make me choose? I can't pick between Saints Row 2, Just Cause 2, and Sleeping Dogs. I guess I'll go with Just Cause 2 because I feel since there isn't a specific choice for SR2 people could think I was voting for that piece of shit Saints Row the Third.

Kontar

Jan 18, 2008
Skyrim by far wins, if I feel like sandboxing alone. If I want to play with other people then Minecraft wins.

How could you not put either of those on the poll? =P

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
STALKER: Call of Prapyat is pretty solid. Although, it won't beat my time spent in Fallout: New Vegas.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Skyrim, absolutely. How can that not be included in the poll when games with less than half the sales and far less brand recognition are in there?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Y'all need two polls: one for theme and one for style.

Style:
GTA (linear missions in open world)
Just Cause (Missions barely there; world/emergent fun is the point)
Elder Scrolls (Freeform RPG in open world.)
Batman (World is chock full of stuff to do, lists to check off, etc. A big toybox.)
Minecraft (Creative/crafting/building game in open world)
DayZ (Survival in an open world)

Theme:
Modern (GTA, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs, etc.)
Postmodern/Apocalyptic (Fallout, STALKER, arguably DayZ)
Future Earth (Cyberpunk? Maybe?)
Sci-fi (No really good examples yet, although arguably the X series is close)
Renaissance/premodern (Assassin's Creed, Red Dead Redemption)
Medieval (None yet, really)
Fantasy Medieval (Elder Scrolls.)
Prehistory/BC (Minecraft?)

On your poll: torn between Minecraft and Elder Scrolls.

On my "poll": Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, and Prehistory for theme.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
omicron1 said:
Medieval (None yet, really)
For me it's a three way tie between Just Cause 2, The Saboteur, and Mount and Blade: Warband. Since the poll doesn't include the WW2 or the medieval sandboxes, I'll vote for JC2.

prophecy2514

Nov 7, 2011
ouuuuuch, so many omitted choices...

Skyrim is pretty damn good and took a whole damn chunk out of my november/december last year, but I'm pretty much done with it, and quite burnt out in fact. Fallout New Vegas also took a fair chunk of my June/July and august 2011, but I keep returning to it time and time again and I still discover new things. It's got my vote.

Jun 11, 2009
mohit9206 said:
i couldn't have incuded all games in the poll hence the other option.
No, see, the thing is, at the point where you have far more open world/sandbox games than you have poll options, it's at that point you scrap the entire thing because it won't work.

Just, y'know, just puttin' that out there.

OT:

Infamous and Infamous 2, with slight preference given to the former, since it had a far stronger narrative.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
THE GODDAMN BATMAN any and all other answer's are lies and are completely inferior.....why because it's batman that's why!

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
Just Cause 2 is by far the best at being an open world. It's not super good at much else, but because you go into it with the right expectations, it still manages to work. I don't consider it the best game off the list, but it is by far the best open world

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Here I was clicking into the thread trying desperately to think which game I liked most, and I've played not one of those options in the poll. That made things a lot easier.

I love the various provinces in Tamriel I've been to, the Fallout 3 Capital Wasteland, Rook Is. in Far Cry 3, and to a lesser extent, Pandora from Borderlands 2. If I had to choose a favourite, it would be the worlds in TES, notably Skyrim.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
It's easily Infamous 2 for me.

- Awesome superpowers? Check!
- Huge environmentally-varied city to explore? Check!
- Well-written story, with characters worth caring about? Check!

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Nantucket said:
Red Dead Redemption!
At last a Western game which is genuinely open-world and with an interesting story. Plus, as everyone knows I have an obsession with the old west so yeah... it's a no brainer for me.
Just curious did you ever play Gun it too was a pretty good open world western game?

OT: Saints row 2 playing GTA 4 right now im so missing the cart handling and the wacky fun from that game.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Probably either New Vegas or Minecraft.
Most likely New Vegas, it's just plain awesome.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
My first choice will always be Saints Row 2:[sub] Saint Harder![/sub]
Okay that wasn't the title but I intensely loved that game with all my heart.

The gameplay was fun, comedic and some what gruesome.
The customization was AWEEEEESOME!
The story was like Saints Row but it felt more serious in the most appropriate parts.

It was just a bloody good game. It was unfortunate that Saints Row: The Third didn't really improve much, they got rid of all the good parts.

- Kicked out the awesome activities and kept the boring activities.
- Buying/customizing cribs.
- Lessened the customizing.
- A worse plot.
- Worse characters.
- Bleh DLC.

Get the game back up for the fourth game!

For my other top two.

2. Fallout 3.
3. ... Skyrim/ :/

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Tough choice between GTA and RDR but GTA just edges over. I've had hours of fun in that game and there's just so much to do. RDR's world was a little empty which makes sense in the wild west setting but just didn't have the same fun factor.