Poll: Your feelings on the Devil May Cry Series

SaikyoKid

Sep 1, 2011
Been ages since I played a DMC game, but I remember 1 and 3 being alright. I would not play them for the story or characters, but the gameplay was alright.

Honestly, I enjoyed ninja gaiden WAY more in terms of gameplay and challenge. The story is still pretty much nonsense, but the hero is a little less annoying and the regular enemies are tough as nails.

Nocturnal Gentleman

Mar 12, 2010
The first one had very fun gameplay. Didn't pay much attention to the story or characters because I didn't feel they were worth the time.

Second one was kinda dull all the way through.

The third one had a nice challenge and the story was somewhat interesting. Unfortunately Dante is horribly corny in every way and he ruined every scene he was in. The escape stage from inside a giant demon was pretty cool though.

Never played the fourth one.

Honestly when it comes to action games I prefer the Onimusha series. The difficulty is the same and I just like it better. I can't stand Dante and was always hoping they'd reboot his character. I'll play the new game for this reason alone.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well theres alot of mixed feelings flying around the thread...

Well my turn to piss on the bonfire.

3 and 4 are the only ones i played and ive enjoyed both of them thoroughly. And im looking forward to both the HD collection and DmC with an eagerness outclassed only by Asuras Warth and Monster Hunter Tri G, if its getting a western release.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
I sorta like them, not so big on the combat (4's was lackluster) and I think slowing it down a bit might be a good thing. What I didn't like was its pretentions towards being gothic while having extremely japanesque anime style in both art and characters. The new one looks a little better, the moving geometry was fantastic and I like the campy style and brighter colours. Dante seems like a douchey teenage poser in DmC which really isn't that different from the silver haired original

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Unless you like spamming the same 3 buttons over and over again, overemphasised cockiness, 3 hour long-and-back linear game where you go from point A - B, then B - A to complete the game; don't get it. Was far from my cup of tea.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
telocaster said:
Having never played a Devil May Cry game before, Is the series worth getting into? I know the collection is coming in April, is it worth checking out?
yes, for 1 and 3. 2 is kinda bad, and 4 is pretty good if you can find it cheap second hand or summat. only downside is when you switch to dantes levels, it feels a it lazy =\ 3 has epic boss fights though ^-^

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
I've only played the first one, and it felt pretty crap. It was mashing buttons and using souls or whatever the hell they called them to upgrade weapons. At that point, Rygar was out, which did the same thing and better, and not long after God of War came out and did the same thing but better. If you liked God of War you might like them. I can't really judge the entire series by the first game, but yeah, it was just an anime version of Rygar with an angsty white haired protagonist with handguns and an over-sized sword.

Smertnik

Apr 5, 2010
I'd recommend the third title, it's the best one, in my opinion. The forth one is alright but noticeably inferiour in the gameplay and character department.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
DMC3 is one of my favorite all time games*, and DMC1 is really good too. I actually prefer DMC to other hack n slash(even Bayonetta) games for the same reason as I like Street Fighter to other fighting games, its combat is freeform rather than dial a combo like GOW\NG\Bayo**. DMC2 is pretty bad but not as bad as some people say, and DMC4 is just mediocre though combat is still top notch. I have mixed feelings on the reboot, I somewhat agree that DMC needed a reboot but if there was one thing it didn't need it was Ninja Theory's crap gameplay and Half Demon Half Angel BS.

*And despite peoples claims that DMC have crap stories, DMC3 actually manages to have a really well told if cliche story. Also DMC1s gothic horror aesthetics are really well done.

**Bayonetta is kinda of mix of dial a combo and freeform though.

Fleetfiend

Jun 1, 2011
Packie_J said:
Awesome gameplay, shit stories and voice acting. Plus I thought Dante was kinda funny in 3 and 4. So yeah, I like the series in general including the much maligned DMC2.
This, exactly. I think the games are definitely worth checking out for the gameplay alone. The story is crap though... especially in 2.

If you would like to try a similar game, try Bayonetta. The story was quite a bit better than the DMC games that I've played, and felt like virtually the same game.

EDIT: As for my personal opinion, I really enjoyed the games, and if they had better story and voice acting I would probably be a raving fan.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I like the Devil May Cry series but funny thing is that I haven't played all of them, I only have played DMC4, I really liked it, but other people say there was better. Now I want to pick up the DMC collection to see how it began.

Also I see how God Of War is the original game but frankly I didn't like it that much and prefer DMC.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I love them. DMC 3 (Special Edition) is my favorite. I love that game. Challenging and so satisfying. It also has the best story IMO.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I love the gameplay but the storyline is just cheesy nonsense.

The pizza bit was good. I will probably remember that for the rest of my life xD

I probably won't play the new one because the new Dante looks like a really bad ex I had...:<

TheDarkKing

Sep 12, 2011
DMC series is pretty good, but by god don't get the pc port of DMC3, it is pretty much the worst port I have ever played, still, DMC 3 and 4 are both very good games, despite having a somewhat cheesy storyline (which I found lolz) and a lot of fighting in cutscenes (which I loved). Also the combat system is amazing.

EDIT: However, there are ways to fix the port, but the fact is that it was badly ported in the first place.