Poll: Your opinion on interracial relationships?

luther7718

Apr 3, 2010
Nope. It's not a problem in the US. Not even in the South (probably less so, cities like Chicago and Detroit are much worse than anywhere in the South).

I live in rural Alabama, and I used to date a black girl. No one batted an eye.

Elephant Walker19

Jul 5, 2010
Back then I used to laugh at thai girls who dated white guys but now I see the fault in it since they only take the ugly ones so white guys do thai men the favor of getting them out of the thai race.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
This is where subconscious racism rears its ugly head with me.

I was raised in a lily-white town (as in, we had one black-white mixed-race family and a few Chinese folks who mainly ran restaurants. According to the Census Bureau via Wikipedia:

"96.94% White, 0.45% Black or African American, 0.08% Native American, 1.43% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.20% from other races, and 0.90% from two or more races." (2000 census)

And my high school was a hotbed of racism thanks to forced busing (or "school integration", if you prefer.) I was a member of a hate group myself (I got better.)

When you've got that drilled into your head from childhood that interracial relationships are wrong or unnatural or a good excuse to vent some teenage-boy frustration and beat the shit out of a black kid without the principal giving two shits (and I'm from the Northeast!)...

Well, it's gonna lead to certain visceral reactions as an adult. And I just can't get past that drilled-in-childhood revulsion at the sight of an interracial couple (and indeed, it's black guy-white girl that triggers that response in me---if I see a black guy with an Asian or an Asian with a white or any other combination, it doesn't register as unusual with me.)

I'm sorry, I really am. I try very hard to move past that. But if any black people (I won't say "African-Americans" because I'm sure an African in the UK or a Jamaican or...you get the idea...reading this would take offense) want to hate me for that, I honestly don't blame you. And if you've any advice for becoming more accepting, I'm open to it.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
I am attracted to an individual on there own merits, and how they could possibly complement myself as another unique individual.

Race is a non-issue for me. Period.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I have no problem with interracial couples. Seriously, I've seen some hate for the idea and I find it stupid. Since when does race play into if two people love each other? What is this, 1865?

IkeGreil29

Jul 25, 2010
I don't really care... It's their choice. Why should I get into their lives?

Then again, I see your point, same thing happens here

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I don't have a problem with it... besides even if I did I don't exactly have much room to talk...<.<

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
I kind of wander about the cultural differences, but then you'd almost have to be going cross class or actually having people from different countries dating each other as used in the Canada/Russia example earlier.

I mean a middle class average income black family may or may not have the same values as a middle class average income white family or any other race. What are your opinions on that topic?

Also a little disclaimer. XD
As I mentioned earlier, I have no problem with it, it's more of a curiousity thing with me than anything else. I mean, I've only ever dated a Cuban girl. I'm about as white as they come and my current gf is German. XD It's not that I haven't found women from other races attractive, I've just never really gotten to know any because the area I'm in is mostly white and I just haven't had a chance to meet many people from other races other than Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. And most of those were guys. XD

ICanBreakTheseCuffs

Jun 4, 2010
The Austin said:
Uhhh... I really don't see how anyone could be offended by them.

That's like taking offence to a BLT because it mixes bacon and tomatoes.
How did I know someone would say that?

OT:I support all the way

Aug 25, 2009
I had a rather funny childhood selection of role models and friends, thanks to my parents rather idiosyncratic lives. Growing up friends of the family included:

An orthodox Jewish family (with a mentally disabled child just to add even more minority groups)
A lesbian couple with a child
An interracial couple with a child

So yeah, any time anyone asks 'do you have a problem with (non heteronormative nonchristian pairing)' my answer has pretty much been dictated since before I was able to form such opinions.

There is nothing different between any coupling between any people of any race creed or orientation, no matter what formation you find, because in the end we are all people, and any relationship is going to have the same problems and successes that any given relationship may have.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
There is nothing wrong with them. This is not merely opinion, this is fact.

Those southerners who disagree can go fuck themselves.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
I don't really date people of my own race, and my only reason for it is that I don't want to go out with someone prettier than I am. Just my personal preference. If you've ever seen a photo of an Asian guy who looks so female that it makes you confused about your sexuality, then you know what I mean.

So yeah, I don't have a problem with it, and I don't see why anyone should even care. We're just people after all. Maybe it's because we have a lot of interracial couples where I live, but I've never even found it weird.

Willem

Jun 9, 2010
I don't really understand... Isn't indiffernece the ideal option?
Does supporting it mean you wish that there would only be interracial couples?

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
I'm all for certain interracial marriages, but some of them just freak me out. I personally can't see a Russian with an Asian or an Asian with a black person. It's not that I'm racist, it's just that it kinda grosses me out...

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
I don't give a damn about the color of a girlfriend's skin, and that seems to be the prevailing opinion in my area (suburban Georgia), at least among the younger generations. Which bodes very well for the future.

Semi-off-topic, I have never dated a person of my own race. It's not that I avoid other white people, heh, it just always seems to work out that way.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Treefingers said:
Being the offspring of one, i fully support it. I'm not sure why anyone wouldn't, other than because they are a massive douche.
This. Except for being a mixed-race child :p So basically, the support and anyone not supporting being a massive douche
And I find a lot of interracial relationships really cute. One of my best friends is indian and he's dating a chinese girl. They're adorable together.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
ICanBreakTheseCuffs said:
The Austin said:
Uhhh... I really don't see how anyone could be offended by them.

That's like taking offence to a BLT because it mixes bacon and tomatoes.
How did I know someone would say that?

OT:I support all the way
I'm from the future. You were going to say it, but I thought it was funny, so I went through time and I stole it from you. :p