Poll: Your own life - Or ten strangers lifes?

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Uncle_Brainhorn said:
Only 10? Make it 50. 100! Blow up a third world country, I'll press the button myself.
I second this notion, I don't care bout things that do not affect me =D

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
Ten middle aged men? That's like, 500 points! Why would I not want that? Besides, I'm a solipsist with magical powers; if I die, all you fuckers die with me :D

crimsnking

Nov 8, 2010
hah the world just got ten people lighter, not because i don't like people, but because i was the one with the button and being objective in this situation means shit.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Fuck those strangers! I'd maybe be traumatized for life, but still. First, they're strangers, and I'm just way, way too selfish a person. And second, overpopulation. I'll be helping the world, albeit in a small way! :D

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
What's worrying is that most people would kill the ten strangers.
What's seriously worrying is the 40 BOTH!! answers on the poll.

OT: I'd kill myself, very reluctantly.
However, I'd be pissed if noone knew what had happened.
I'd hate it that I'd end my own life to save ten strangers and my family wouldn't know I'd died so ten others could live, instead believing I'd just up and vanished one day.

And to those people saying that 'In the situation, the will to survive overcomes ALL else', I highly doubt that.
The will to survive is strong, but at the end of the day it's just adrenaline, same as any other adrenaline yu get from any adrenaline-producing stressful situation.
There is no special chemical, released by life-threatening situations, that changes the effects.
You've all had adrenaline rushes.
Have they made you lose all emotion and care for other human beings?
I'm willing to bet no. Adrenaline certainly doesn't do that for me.
On top of that, you can, if you know how, calm yourself down and bring the stress level to a lower level, lowering the adrenaline and thus putting you in a much more normal, calm, and rational state of mind.

Adrenaline is designed to help you escape from a situation your body percieves as a threat, sure, and it would be working if it made you think 'Yeah, I'll burn the ten randomers', but it doesn't temporarily outright block compassion or the want to help other people. You would still be able to go "Wait, no, I can't just let these 10 people die!".
Unless you're a heartless bastard.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Russian_Assassin said:
TWRule said:
Which are based on what principles...?
The majority of my ideologies and beliefs are the product of over thinking and introspection. I have pondered about the significance of human life before and I reached a certain conclusion as to what the "balance" is (how many lives is my own life worth etc). My principles are strictly personal. I wouldn't say they are the same as the ones of the society I live in.

I do not act according to a moral codex. I don't really believe in the usefulness of morality. Labeling good or bad is only done for the convenience of the one that labels. I'm not a cynic however so I still can base my decisions on feelings. I guess if one of those strangers had moved me emotionally, I would have chosen the option where I die. But that is a small probability, since I can be a selfish jerk when it comes to surviving.
I'm not asking you about morality as much as I am ethics (different things). I'm still curious how you reached this conclusion, but if you don't care to share that's fine. I just hope you are willing to share when faced with the families of those 10 people.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
TWRule said:
I'm not asking you about morality as much as I am ethics (different things). I'm still curious how you reached this conclusion, but if you don't care to share that's fine. I just hope you are willing to share when faced with the families of those 10 people.
That would be pretty interesting. A shame this is a hypothetical dilemma. But honestly, I believe that a big part of those who voted that 10 > Myself would actually choose the opposite, were they in a real life situation. Fear topples morals and ethics under it's boots.

Let's just hope we don't find ourselves in this kind of situation any time soon, yeah? :p

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Since it's an imaginary game, I like buttons, buttons are pretty. So I press both buttons (that would be my first response if confronted with this choice in a video game).

On a more serious note, yeah, I'd kill ten strangers to get out alive... but I'd try to find an alternative escape route first.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
First thought: Stranger Danger! Kill them, do it now!

Rational thought: 10>1 save them.

What would I do? Sit down ignore the buttons and start to giggle to myself. You know the people who put me in the room have cameras watching me. Eventually they will come in to get me then I will strike.

Romidude

Aug 3, 2010
What is my meaningless existance to Ten others that may actually achieve something?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I think most people are lying and would actually kill the strangers and then feel like shit afterwards, seriously I don't believe most of you guys would have no remorse after all and you are simply being as naive as the people who chose saving the strangers.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
I would probably sit there for a couple hours talking to them already knowing I would sacrifice myself, and they would either fall in love with me and spread the word of my selfless act, or they would become so agitated with my constant blabbering that they'd punch through the glass and hit the fire button to spare themselves the pain.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I'd kill the other guys, no doubt.

I'm not sacrificing my life for some random collection of strangers.

Necrofudge

May 17, 2009
Going on the fact that they're strangers, I'd have no trouble killing them. But if I knew who they were and had a general idea of their hopes and dreams, I wouldn't be able to do it.

...Unless I learned that they were serial rapists or white supremacists or something.